PDA

View Full Version : sailfish 5 mtr 2003

insideout
11-04-2009, 08:25 PM
have found a sailfish 5 mtr for sale, can anybody give me any info about them?Am considering buying it and would like some feedback plz. Danno

Maccas
11-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Try a search on here I think someone was comparing Sailfish to Kevlacats but not sure if 5metre Sailfish was one of them. There was someone who preferred a 5.5 metre Sailfish to the KC 5.2. Also try a search on Sea Media I think that there is a test on there.

Cheers,

Maccas

Smithy
13-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Is it the ex charterboat from Hervey Bay with the twin Hondas? I think that boat is in a different league to a 5.5. Macca may have been thinking of Perko who went from a 5.2 KC to a 5.5 Sailfish. Was mostly the Sailfish sat more upright than the KC and didn't dip and dive and I think the KC sat up better than an equivalent NC as they also had a couple of them in their family as well.

Maccas
14-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Had a look at Sea Media website, they have done a test of the Sailfish 5 metre and thought it was pretty good. Here's the link www.seamedia.com.au (http://www.seamedia.com.au)

Cheers,

Maccas

insideout
14-04-2009, 02:18 PM
thanks for the link, i am still unsure if i should hang out for a 5.5 to come along...

Noelm
14-04-2009, 03:17 PM
although I have never been a fan of Alloy Cats (I owned one for a long time) I reckon the 5.5 will be ten times the Boat the 5M is, that extra bit will make a huge difference

Maccas
15-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the 5 metre Sailfish or the 5.5 metre Sailfish as it would be interesting to get their thoughts.

Cheers,

Maccas

Noelm
15-04-2009, 01:27 PM
I have been in a 5.5 and it was OK, pretty good finish and lots of built in "goodies" but they seem to be a tad expensive, and they tend to have quite small Motors on them, a bit like 5.2 Kcats I suppose

insideout
15-04-2009, 01:34 PM
yes alot of the 5.2 kcats seem to have small o/boards on em, must not need much to get em running quick enough. My old 2400 had twin 140 zukis and they seemed plenty.However, was looking at a 5mtr sailfish, with twin 50 evinrude/zukies, fours ,and im wondering if thay may be a tad on the light side...

julian1
15-04-2009, 05:11 PM
there is this one thats been for sale for a while: http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2955813

a bit exy for a 5.5m boat (and Etec's), but apparently they are quite sizable for 5.5m

Maccas
15-04-2009, 05:24 PM
I had a look at 6 metre Sailfish ( might have been 6.2) before I bought my KC 5.2 and it didn't have as much fishing space as the KC 5.2

Cheers,

Maccas

insideout
15-04-2009, 05:38 PM
maccas what mod is ur kc? from the avatar she looks like a hardtop. I also know of another 5.2 kc for sale but methinks she is older than most, for she has no wavebraker in the guts... does anybody have a idea what year models the kc started using the wavebraker in there hulls? and if so , did the hull shape change with the introduction of the wavebraker? so many questions !!!!!

kitty_cat
15-04-2009, 07:12 PM
I have been in a 5.5 and it was OK, pretty good finish and lots of built in "goodies" but they seem to be a tad expensive, and they tend to have quite small Motors on them, a bit like 5.2 Kcats I suppose

come on mate i have 180 hp on my 5.2 mtr k/c;D how can you put that down to under powered he he he8-)

sorry mate had to have a go

back to the subject i think for serious offshore crazy not to look at the 5.5 in the sailfish range deck space in the 5mtr in my opinion is very limited

wayne

Maccas
15-04-2009, 08:25 PM
My KC 5.2 is a 1990 model and the hardtop looks like it was done aftermarket. Wasn't sure I liked it at first but apart from being a bit hot when I go up north(mainly when stopped as it has a hatch that you can open in the hardtop) it has great visibility and is really dry on those cold wet days or when its crap on the way home. BTW my KC has got the wavebreaker;D

Cheers,

Maccas

Dean1
15-04-2009, 09:44 PM
maccas what mod is ur kc? from the avatar she looks like a hardtop. I also know of another 5.2 kc for sale but methinks she is older than most, for she has no wavebraker in the guts... does anybody have a idea what year models the kc started using the wavebraker in there hulls? and if so , did the hull shape change with the introduction of the wavebraker? so many questions !!!!! Hey mate 5.2 KC's were born with wavebreakers. All 5.2 KC's have em, if it hasnt got one its not a 5.2 KC. 6.2 KC's are a different story tho, I think they recieved the wavebreaker in about 1990 roughly. Have you got a pic of the the boat?? Cheers..

insideout
16-04-2009, 05:47 PM
no pics yet dean, but owner says no wavebraker on the boat and says its 5.2, could it be pre 1990?????

kitty_cat
16-04-2009, 06:20 PM
should still have wave peirsier mate but i will find out and let you know or call rafe at springwood marine he will give you the right information
wayne

Noelm
17-04-2009, 08:08 AM
I do believe all the very early Kcats had no "wave breaker" but it was introduced to the 5.2 before the others.

perko
17-04-2009, 06:17 PM
I have owned a 5.2 kevlacat, 5.5 sailfish and 6 meter sailfish and they all have been awsome boats. Each boat was an improvement as they got bigger. My current 6m has got as much cockpit fishing space as my dads offshore 2400 but has a smaller cabin. Heaps more room than both the other 2 boats as you would expect. It also is a fair bit quicker in rough and flat water than a 5.2 Kevlacat (have done plenty of 2 boat trips with Shikaree with its previous owner before Ian). But I would be happy owning all 3 boats again and love cats. I have also done a few trips in a noosa cat 5m sportsman and they are also an excellent sea boat. Only negative would be a bit of a droopy noise at idle in sloppy seas and pretty low sides. PS "Get Reel" is for sale.

insideout
18-04-2009, 10:51 AM
hey perko, nice rig, if i had the extra coin at the moment, i would def consider !! But i have capped myself to 45 - 50g this time around and its a bad price range to try to get a later mod cat, but i will keep persisting..thanks for ya imput tho, its good to hear from sailfish owners about their rigs. What sort of fuel figures r u getting from ya current boat?