PDA

View Full Version : Blues off MNC

siegfried
10-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Hey fullas fished Nambucca canyons today lines in @ 1100 first fish up 1110 striped marlin for no hook up ,next fish 1150 ,2hr fight on 37 est 260-280 kg blue first for the girl, came up tail wrapped dead ,next fish blue est160 kg 37 kg 20 min fight. Lures were billmark appolo in evil (of course) and Black Bart 1656 mini angle in blue over pink, home for beers at 1600 yee haa ,looks like it may come good after floods bad weather etc , Have got a few waddy phone photos if anyone cane put them up Cheers

TimiBoy
11-04-2009, 07:21 AM
That dead one go in the freezer? Man, that'd serve up a few steaks! Yum!!!

Sounds like you had a blast.

Cheers,

Tim

siegfried
11-04-2009, 07:22 PM
No mate unfortunately too big to boat, went 7-6-0 today on striped marlin , couldnt get any to stick, after blues tomorra

murf
11-04-2009, 07:44 PM
No mate unfortunately too big to boat, went 7-6-0 today on striped marlin , couldnt get any to stick, after blues tomorra

so is a 280kg Blue not edible ?

I am not on a high horse just wondering? thinking if it was possible to cut bits off it or am I dreaming on Murf's moonshine

cheers Murf

Midnight
12-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Siegfried,
Sounds like a fun couple of days.
How many lures were you trolling in your spread and what speed do you normally troll at?
Im keen to have a crack at the Blues out from Cape Moreton before it all goes quiet.
Cheers,
Myles

captain rednut
12-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Siegfried,
How many lures were you trolling in your spread and what speed do you normally troll at?
Im keen to have a crack at the Blues out from Cape Moreton before it all goes quiet.
Cheers,
Myleshi myles the blues off cape moreton should be hotting up soon and we hopefully will get a crack at them too?? where you at hutchies a couple of weeks ago in the bertram?? thanks jim

Midnight
12-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Gday Jim,
Nah mate, not me unfortunately. Due to working on the flat days and crook weather when I have had days off I haven't been out since the 14th of March.
And now I am going away for 2 weeks, so I hope to get amongst them when I get back.
Hope to see you out there.
Cheers,
Myles

"Midnight"
Bertram 25

Smithy
13-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Murf,

I know guys who have eaten them when the same thing has happened. Each to their own like eating any fish species. Some people might not like it or like the thought of it, others might love it.

I'd say 100kg is about the limit for boating stuff without a fair degree of drama, potential for really scratching up the boat, potentially sinking the boat etc., etc., unless you were set up for it like a lot of NSW capture boats or shark boats or whatever and depending on the design of the boat, if it had duckboard or not or a marlin door or not, or if it was a trailerboat. Even dead and neutrally bouyant there would be a fair bit of pull on the leader for the wireman for a 160kg fish let alone a 280kg fish but reading his report if sounded like it was 160kg.

siegfried
13-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Siegfried,
Cheers,
Myles
Hey Myles , we generally fish a crew of 3 and run 3 lures 2 off the riggers and one flat midway betwween short and long corner length (end of the turbulant wash, we got a mob of lures but our standard caper is sr jo yee appollo in evil lr black bart 1656 blue over pink and moldcrart reel tight or similar in short, having said that I dont reckon it matters that much.as long as you spend a bit of time on your hooks .Short of mustad super marlins(@30 bucks ea):o all hooks need a bit of work. We use Tiagra 80s with 37 and 130/80 beastmasters with 100lb and 500 lb home made wind ons. All pretty standard stuff but 80 and 100lb stand up naturally demands a good harness and a big bastard ready to grab hold of ya

siegfried
13-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Speed is 6.5 kts

Midnight
13-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks Siegfried,
With a crew of 4 we have been fishing 5 lures (in close for the small blacks, Mahi Mahi etc), 2 wide, 2 flatlines and a shotgun, but I was thinking that for heavier stuff I might be better off with 2 or 3, so thanks for tips. I normally troll at 7.5kts as the boat is at hull speed there and if I go any faster it is just pushing water, but it sounds like I can slow down some too which will be good.

I have been fishing 8 and 24kg. Do you think it is a waste of time fishing 24kg out wide? Maybe an upgrade to 37 is needed?

Thanks again for the info.
Cheers,
Myles

siegfried
13-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey Myles lots of people do use 24 for blues and with mixed result. My reasoning for heavy stuff is purely the fact that the big ones that you really want stand a good chance of doing you on anything less than 37. I dont mind getting done as it makes you keener than ever but if yhey do a runner with 3-4-500 or a 1000m of line theyre gunna die. It sux to have to buy a whole set of haevy reels etc but the trouble with blues is once you get few you dont want to catch any thing else,IMO thy are the king ( Wanna catch a sword but) good luck mate and keep us posted its shaping up like a good year. We got nothing yesterday but my mate got one est 280 and another 180-200

Midnight
13-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks mate, yeah I dont like the idea of getting spooled and have them swimming around with lure,leader and 5-700m of line behind them.
I will get a couple of 37's and fish them with one 24 perhaps with a smaller lure on.
Thanks again for tips.
Hope you get onto a few more this season.
Cheers,
Myles

Smithy
13-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Myles,

just get 2x37s and fish them. I do. 24kg is often a death sentance for our blues. Plenty exhaust themselves on 37kg as well. Running less gear lets you clear quick and get back on the fish quick. Confidence in your gear then lets you fish sunset drag and that helps to shorten fight time.

Midnight
13-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks Smithy,
Yeah sounds like the go.
I have been meaning to give you call to organize a charter with you sometime to glean some knowledge on this sort of fishing from small boats. I will get in touch when I get back from this next trip.
Good luck out there.
Cheers,
Myles

bugman
14-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Nice work Siegried.

Murf - my first Blue came up dead, Mackmauler took a couple of chunks as steaks. No way around it - it was crap.
I think we estimated mine around the 200kg mark but that might have come down. We had 4 blokes - might have been 5 - and getting it in a 34 foot Blackwatch without a trap door was not an easy task.

Brett