PDA

View Full Version : How far offshore in a 5.5?

Flex
09-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Been done to death I know,

But how comfortable would the majority of you feel taking a top shelf 5.5m plate boat up to 100km offshore? I've narrowed my choice down to a 5.5m AMM but dont know if its worth getting their 6.1m instead?more money and more boat to tow and pushes the budget a bit.

I fish around Yeppoon, So I'd be looking at hitting Douglas shoals, Karamea banks and over-nighters up into shoal water. Fuel capacity isn't a drama as I've have 160l tank+35 auxilary tank.

I've been out to Karamea Banks in a 6.2 Kevlacat and theres some rather large 3-4m swells rolling through there at times.
I know alot of people boast going out far in 4m tinny's but thats a rare occasion.

Thoughts?

Vitamin Sea
09-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi Flex

You could take a 5.5m boat to NZ if the weather was right, it's picking the weather that's the problem.

Size? bigger is usually always better when you are talking offshore, but again, it's picking the right day.

Overnighting is a whole new ballpark, I suggest most of us on here who have fished overnight have been caught out by a change in weather during the night, or a forecast that has been incorrect, I know I have.

That's when the bigger boat comes into play, especially if you are 100k's out ( to far for me overnighting ) long way home.

Also, having the company of another boat, if it can be arranged, is a good thing.

My 2 bobs worth

Cheers

Bill

FNQCairns
09-04-2009, 11:36 AM
The 6.1 should be a faster boat even with the same HP on the back, apples to apples offshore the 6.1 is the pick.

cheers fnq

russ81
09-04-2009, 11:38 AM
I would have to agree on the weather playing a massive part but also the experience level of the skipper comes into play when things get hairy 99% of the time the boat will stand up to the weather but its the inexperience of the skipper that brings it to grief you could put a inexperienced bloke in a 10m platey and have it get into trouble whereas an experienced bloke would be able to get a 4m boat back home.

Unfortunately things can get very dangerous very quickly just ask lovey80 about our trip

(not having a dig by the way) just my thoughts on it

Russ

Out-Station
09-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Flex, my platey is rated as a 5.5 (its about 6.1 overall). I regularly fish 30 NM from home, anything more than that its becomes to far home if something comes up and you end up punching into it all the way. The smaller boats are normally fine when your out there fishing its just the trip out and home and the conditions you have to do the run in. The smaller hulls just cant travel without beating themsleves and the occupants to death.

Same old story, its all fine in smaller boats untill the shit hits the fan. So just need to manage the potential for the shit to happen. Be more carefull with the weather the further you go, try and come home with it up your bum, go with other boats et etc. Disasters happen when multiples happen, ie, you break down 40 miles out in 5.5 and then it starts blowing 20+ = bad deal, i'd much rather be broken down in a 7m hull.

Cheer's Scott

krazyfisher
09-04-2009, 12:40 PM
60-70km's would be it for me as already said in a 5.5 it just becomes to far back if and when the weather catches you out. but sure on a good day if nothing goes wrong..... still I would never do the distance in that size boat without another boat for safety.

Teabag73
09-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Has already stated weather plays a big part but always remember that we rearly go out in bad weather but can be common to come home in worstening conditions......I have a 5.5 Centre Cab Formosa and would have no problem taking it out 100km in the right conditions and monitor those conditions closely as you may have to change plan......Honestly, the difference between a 6.2 and 5.5 would be marginal though that does depend on the paricular brand/make in question.........

GBC
09-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Don't mistake size and relative comfort for sea-worthiness.
A 3 m stabicraft is more sea worthy than any of the boats you've mentioned.

jtpython
09-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Mate the amount of boats hitting douglas now is amazing weather is a huge factor and you'd have no worries in your 5.5 mine is 5.5 fiberglass and went to the Trench the other side of the shoals and come back in 20 knot SE all and all i've seen smaller boats out there .

Travel with another for safety to is great idea
I'm wanting to do Moresby soon
JT

Angla
09-04-2009, 03:29 PM
As Most have said, Limit the distance by the weather and even then If it is supposed to be fine and you find the conditions worse than predicted, then find a closer alternative for SAFETY SAKE.

Either boat would be fine for the distance.

Chris

stinky-stabi
09-04-2009, 05:09 PM
i would agree with all , i have a 5.2m stabi and venture out 70ks often ...
number one thing is respect the sea... as we know it bights hard..

Teabag73
09-04-2009, 06:03 PM
i would agree with all , i have a 5.2m stabi and venture out 70ks often ...
number one thing is respect the sea... as we know it bights hard..

Yep and seen it bite very hard. Over the years I have seen it turn very nasty in a very short period of time.....I agree, repect and understand yours and the boats limitations (they can differ)............

skipalong
09-04-2009, 07:15 PM
anything is possible, weather and conditions are the best keys to distance driving offshore, used to have a 5.2m c/c and ventured out up to 42nm out in the right conditions.

justin

Salad Fingers
09-04-2009, 10:24 PM
As I just found out first hand it is a very 'interesting' experience being stuck even just 30km out to sea in a boat with a 15cm crack along it's keel at night.... Very humbling experience. Waves do funny things to your boat when it's got a good couple hundred kg's on water in it.

whatever you do make sure you have two bilge pumps/two batteries and enough brains to know when to pull the pin and head home. Partitioned bulkheads and foam filling the hull would also be worthy ideas, my next boat will definitely have them.

Like other guys on here have said, it never happens on a glassy calm day with people all around, it always happens at night in big seas and with no one around.
It's so soo true.

finding_time
10-04-2009, 09:40 AM
As I just found out first hand it is a very 'interesting' experience being stuck even just 30km out to sea in a boat with a 15cm crack along it's keel at night....
It's so soo true.

Pressed alloy or plate alloy boat? I'm betting pressed!;) I'm betting pressed, it happen to my brother one day as they reached the southen gutters in hervy bay the bottom of the savage osprey split right open if it wasn't for the floor holding enough water back to allow the bilge pump to keep up they would have spent plenty of time in the water! They were 30 nm from the ramp!

Ian

lunchcutter
10-04-2009, 12:00 PM
yeah well i have a 5.8 with a 150 evin on back i head out about 70 kms but saying that it all depends on the weather

Flex
10-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Like anything boating is a compromise. Bigger boat travels better on water but less so when towing, visa-versa.

Going by the replies I think the 5.5 is a good size for me, easy to tow long distance yet the consensus seems to be it's big enough offshore.

So I think I'll run with the 5.5m AMM CC.

now for my second question:Fit-out.

I've decided on
- 800mm wide console with fold down T-top
- Flooding Kill tank
- Live bait tank and deck wash
-Transom door
- Esky seatbox with hinged backrest
-esky seat infront of console
- bilge is an option but is it necessary with a self drainer?
- 35 auxilary fuel tank.
- slight raised deck with storage underneath
-side pockets
-transom ladder

I think I have covered all bases. If you were custom building a CC what else would you add?

thoughts?

finding_time
10-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Trim tabs and trim tabs oh yeh more trim tabs

FNQCairns
10-04-2009, 09:50 PM
I dunno your tow vehicle or other things like how far you need to tow etc but a 6.0m boat shrinks pretty fast once you have had it for a while, if a true .5 of a metre longer the ability to straddle the next wave is very noticeable, apples to apples. I have not read the specs of the boats in question either.

All of the things people say about a their 5.? hulls a person can say about a modern 4.5 - 5.0 also. If this is to be a long time purchase and if you haven't much, be sure to get a couple of trips in 6.0 boats, the difference can be marked over 5.5 if it's a true extra 0.5+m.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
12-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Hmmm like taking risks do you?

Lets say your 100 K's out and the wind picks up and makes a nasty chop.
So to get back to port! you may only be doing 10-15 kts so that's nearly a 10 hour trip home and most of that will probably be in the dark!!! not nice to drive a boat in rough seas when you can't negotiate the waves cause of rough conditions and the dark of night.

Now that's only the navigation problem, what about trying to re-fuel in rough seas or minor engine trouble that has to be sorted or you lose a man overboard, or injury at sea. Take all that in to consideration aswell.

But if your game and aware of the risks and you like the adventure side of things then it's up to you.

But I wouldn't be risking my kids out there that's for.

Cheers.

TimiBoy
12-04-2009, 05:55 AM
A 5.5m Cuddy and 3 crew died off Bundy last week - or was it the week before?

I know this is all about risk assessment - I did a careful one when I bought my first boat. Wanted to offshore fish, and overnight. Ended up with the Cruisecraft 685. I stretched, and stretched, and stretched some more, went from a budget of $40K and spent $100K...

But that was managing the risk to a level I was comfortable with and could (NOT!!!) afford. Obviously I'm not comfortable with the level you are choosing. This decision is not about saving money, it's about spending the most you possibly can to get the best rig for the the job that you can squeeze out of your $.

Far better to go without a few things for a while - cheaper tackle, smaller esky, lesser sounder, whatever. They don't mean much when the weather turns to shite and you are thanking God or whatever you believe in that he MADE you buy the 6.1! Please don't become a stat.

Cheers,

Tim

backlash08
12-04-2009, 07:12 AM
I think I have covered all bases. If you were custom building a CC what else would you add?

thoughts?[/quote]

I would add a cabin of some type but not a cc
cheers - Craig

GBC
12-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Welcome back Kerry, I for one have missed the gentle subtleness of your oratories.:D

I would however reiterate my first post - which is 'don't mistake seaworthiness for hull length, comfort and dryness'.

A well designed centre console with a low c.o.g., lower windage and level floatation will kick a cabin boat's arse when it all turns to crap. I've got to say I've probably only seen a couple in my lifetime, and mine certainly isn't one of them so the argument is generally theoretical given what the market produces.

Donny Boy
12-04-2009, 09:21 AM
It's a bit like the old saying isn't it ????

You can't get the Job without the experience.......but you can't get the experience without the job......

Mate, I've got a 5.5 too. ( Avatar)
By all accounts she can handle the rough (er) stuff quite well. Just found out that Webby has exactly the same rig,.......... & he spends a shit load of time out in it.

BUT.....at NO TIME will i be going out to a distance that I can't get back from... and back from again.
If it comes down to being as simple as how much fuel I'm carrying....... great !!

But I'm not leaving it there.
Every other thing that I can think of, that will help me out of a spot, is, or will be, on that Boat.
Additional training for myself......anything....
Bugger the luxury items....if it comes to the choice of Safety or Luxury.............
It's a no Brainer.

Flex
12-04-2009, 03:07 PM
( quote deleted by Moderator )

Tell me Kerry did I run over your mother unwittingly one day? Whats with the hostility?

I think you'd best pull your head in mate and at least show a little bit of respect.
Constructive criticism is one thing, outright hostility is another. Just because I dont have as much experience as you doesn't mean you have the right to jump down my throat!
I do not have a death wish, And Im not a total armature when it comes to boating. Not everyone with inexperience is ignorant.

I dont have years and years of experience in handling larger craft far offshore like you may have.But how else do you get it?Why do you think I'm asking the question?

As alot of others (politely too) have mentioned a 5.5m is probably to small for such a trip. And have most likely turned me off heading that far out. Im happy I asked. And I'd always be traveling with another boat.

As to centre consoles travelling far offshore, I fail to see how a cabin is inherently safer. Yes it stops some water from entering your boat on occasion. But if its that rough you start to rely upon it, then your screwed anyway I rekon.

Flex
12-04-2009, 03:09 PM
BTW tell me, by your lofty standards.
What size boat would you consider "safe" for such trips?

jtpython
12-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Flex have you Seen Those Riflen Boats they are Plate boats incredibly made by a local guy Brent Riley ... His site isn't up and running but if your interested i can show you where he is for a look . He's in Rockhampton Area
JT
He recently done a CC

TheRealAndy
12-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Somewhere is not where is intended and not in the boat intended and if you don't think that is constructive criticism then you have absolutely no idea what any of this is about, actually you know nothing about what this area is about, absolutely not a dam thing.

Talk about a case of extremely bad judgement and comment, join the idiot clan!

So tell us you formula for a safe boat? I would happily take my 4.55 CC offshore, done if before and will do it again. SO I guess I am an idiot, even with my 20 odd years of boating experience...

Flex
12-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Flex have you Seen Those Riflen Boats they are Plate boats incredibly made by a local guy Brent Riley ... His site isn't up and running but if your interested i can show you where he is for a look . He's in Rockhampton Area
JT
He recently done a CC

Hey mate,
Im always keen for a look at any boat:)
But I do have a great opportunity to purchse a AMM boat at a great price, so I'm kind of "committed" to buying one of theirs if I was to have one built.

Thanks anyhow

jtpython
12-04-2009, 08:55 PM
<<<<<<<<<<<< Idiot Hope the Weather come good so i can be an even bigger idiot as i'm down to my last 2 packets of fish
Dam You Easter Weather Gods
JT IDiot

finding_time
12-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Tell me Kerry did I run over your mother unwittingly one day? Whats with the hostility?

Flex.

That's just the way Kerry is , Just laugh and admire the way he can get so much hostility into a post! It truely is a talent!;) He's been agitating on online forums for years and occasionally gives good advice if you can sift through the vile!

Kerry

Nice to see the years have not mellowed you one bit! Are you going to hang around for a while this time or are you only on day release atm!:-/

Happy Easter
Ian

bicko1
12-04-2009, 10:39 PM
one other thing to mention with smaller boats offshore is that if you do have to bash your way back 100ks (and lets face it you probably will most times) the hulls dont like it. Have an ask around people who have smaller tinnies offshore and you will see how many have cracked hulls. 5.5 is good for nothing to big for creek too small offshore go the 6 and in my opinion go glass. these new big tinnies are a rip off compaired to 2nd hand glass equivelant.

TheRealAndy
12-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Hey mate,
Im always keen for a look at any boat:)
But I do have a great opportunity to purchse a AMM boat at a great price, so I'm kind of "committed" to buying one of theirs if I was to have one built.

Thanks anyhow

A CC with a self draining deck is always going to be safer than a cuddy without a self draining deck. Take a look at any offshore commercial fishing boat, or any offshore boat for that matter. This is why they hammer it into you to keep all hatches shut and locked when in shitty weather. Water on deck is no problem, water in the bilge and you are in trouble.

Mr__Bean
13-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Flex,

Hang in there, there is some good advice here in amongst the emotion.

If you are serious about distant offshore boating then please consider first what is necessary in your boat design before you pick the brand.

You must plan for coming home in the worst of weather, people have already covered ability to shed water. You can rely on deflection, self draining, huge pumps or all of the above.

But also consider the basis of the boat design, where is its centre of gravity and how is it going to react when surfing down the face of a large wave and punching right into the one in front of it, is the boat likely to ride up, broach, or dig in and roll? How well is it going to belly flop when the wave you are coming over falls out from under you?

In conjuction with the skippers experience and skills these are the things that get you home.

I guess just be careful that your centre console isn't primarily designed for fishability and bay chop which is very very different to an offshore sea.

Look for how you will secure things on deck, no good having stuff flying everywhere and people having to risk themselves trying to secure things once the rough has hit.

How will your crew secure themselves and what do they hold onto with their white knuckles? What is the position of the engine controls in relation to your braced position and do you get confident ability to ride the throttle all the way home?

Another point made was fuel quantity, I too draw little comfort from the quantity you quote and the distance you speak of. Bad water absolutley chews through fuel and with the boat rocking and rolling all over the place can you rely on being able to get all of it out of the tank (once again check design of tanks).

Distance is nothing in good water but it is just about everything when it gets ugly.

Having said all that, in the right boat, with the right planning and skipper, I would head out in rough weather.

- Darren

Flex
13-04-2009, 05:49 AM
Thanks alot for the advice Darren,

The main reason I swayed towards the 5.5(its a 5.5m+300mm pod, 5.8LOA. self draining,20deg deadrise,5mm 5083 plate,) was I plan on towing it long distances. I plan towing up to cooktown,whitsundays,lucinda,Kurumba etc.

I live 300km from the coast also. So towing a smaller boat capable of heading a bit wider would be easier for me. The 6.1 whilst better offshore, maybe to cumbersome.
Maybe I need to forget the idea of heading offshore from Yeppoon,gladstone (reefs are 100kms out) and look at towing my smaller boat a bit further to Whitsundays/lucinda etc where the reef is closer, more Islands for protection etc. But many people on this site often talk about heading out-wide in their 5.x boats or smaller. Any sized boat is a risk offshore I suppose..

To me it sounds like 98% of being "safe" when offshore isn't about boat handling ability it's having the experience to not go(or knowing when to come in) when the weather isn't ideal. I do have heaps of experience in heading 30-40kms out in smaller 4.5m boats,I've been all over Far north QLD in my 4.5m boat, where theres no Marine rescue or radio, So im well aware of risks and dangers associated.I believe I'm adapt at reading the weather and knowing when to go or pull the pin. But that extra 30kms or so out further is a world I'm yet to experience.

Anyhow, thanks everyone for their insight, Its made me think of a few things.

cheers.

Wahoo
13-04-2009, 06:55 AM
one other thing to mention with smaller boats offshore is that if you do have to bash your way back 100ks (and lets face it you probably will most times) the hulls dont like it. Have an ask around people who have smaller tinnies offshore and you will see how many have cracked hulls. 5.5 is good for nothing to big for creek too small offshore go the 6 and in my opinion go glass. these new big tinnies are a rip off compaired to 2nd hand glass equivelant.

so the 5.5 is good for nothing, you are kidding with a quote like that....RIGHT>>>>> i have been in plate boats that handle and ride better than a few glass boats, i would like you to show me any cracked plate hulls of the better brands, it really seems you have no idea and should not of even put your post up, than tell me why they are a ripoff compaired to a glass boat of the same size, once again you have no idea

Flex, Transom door and large scuppers is a must on a C/C, trust me, they work, as Darren said, make sure you get some sort of cleats welded into the floor to tie things down

Daz

marty+jojo
13-04-2009, 07:11 AM

Bicko,
Read the post, it's a plate boat and a f#$%in good one an AMM, far from a tinnie.
Marty.

rubba
13-04-2009, 09:02 AM
as for centre console i would never have one for fishing that far out if it gets ugly the wind gets up then it gets very sloppy bit of swell things start to get slow,pushing into it starts to come over the front of the boat and in centre consol the water enters the front of the boat you cant afford to take a wave over the front,at least in cuddy cab or half cab you have the front to let the water run off the sides ,and self draining deck is a big advantage as well bilge pumps can do only so much and will not drain constant water entering youre boat hope this helps8-)

DAZMC1
13-04-2009, 09:09 AM
If your 400nm out on a cruise boat and it starts to go under , what do you get into?. Think about it!

Nomad62
13-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Hi Flex,
Lots of good advice and debate going on here.

I have fished the areas you are talking about for the last 35 yrs. I have fished in a variety of boats and sizes....however if i were to give you one piece of important advice before you were even to leave the boat ramp it would be to learn as much as you can about understanding weather forecasts, reading weather charts and the effect high and low pressure systems can have on the weather. All this can be done by visiting the BOM weather site and following links.

You need to plan ahead....listen to the most up to date forecast you can before you decide to go and continue to monitor vhf channels for any change. Be aware that forecasts can be updated at any time should things change. Some times this may happen just an hour after the original forecast is made...and the changes can sometimes be substantial.

Keep in touch with the volunteer Coast Guard, they can also give you latest weather info....like latest forecasts, current conditions and even reports from other vessels that are actually out there. And don't forget to fill out a trip sheet!!!

Get to know all of your local weather observation sites (Rundle Island , Heron Island, Yeppoon) and check them for the latest observations. You can get this from the BOM site or others like weatherzone etc. This will give you real time information.

The weather, among other things already mentioned on this site can make all the difference,,,,always take heed of the forecasts and check current conditions.

Cheers Nomad

Mr__Bean
13-04-2009, 09:32 AM
A 30ft lifeboat designed to keep afloat until rescued.

- Darren

GBC
13-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Tell me Rubba -

When you get pooped in your Cruise Craft - where does the water go?

I'll tell you because I've done it. It fills your pretty cabin mate. I can also tell you that your scuppers aren't worth a pich of sh!t in that situation, nor is the bilge pump. You're now floating nose down in some pretty heavy sea with baling as your only option before the next set knocks you down - largely assisted by the top heavy superstructure and all that nice staino work.

If the cabin was bulkheadded (a plastic bifold door is not a bulkhead)- then that is a different story, and one which I would suggest is a cheap and awesome idea for any cabin boat doing serious offshore stuff.

You'll find most off shore centre consoles don't have wells in the bows like cabin boats - cats excluded because their for'd cabins are either level with or higher than the rest of the deck. Cats will also self drain when full of water where cruisey's etc require way on to drain. I see that new cruiseys are euro compliant now so the scuppers are also screwed shut.

Sorry to pick on you in particular, but your vessel (I'm assuming the one in your avatar is yours?)is a casing point for not being as seaworthy as a 3m stabicraft.

Have a look at the cruise ship in the video section. The reason she's nearly rolling over is that she has nearly no way on - (not going forward). She's sitting there being knocked off by the swell and cavitating - barely able to keep head to.
It's times like this when you find out about seaworthy, not punching a bit of chop through combi on a run out tide.

The reason I'm having a go again, is relevant to the first post. I don't believe hull length is directly relative to seaworthiness. It is directly relative to comfort and hull speed - and too many people can't make the differentiation.

finding_time
13-04-2009, 09:39 AM
A CC with a self draining deck is always going to be safer than a cuddy without a self draining deck. Take a look at any offshore commercial fishing boat, or any offshore boat for that matter. This is why they hammer it into you to keep all hatches shut and locked when in shitty weather. Water on deck is no problem, water in the bilge and you are in trouble.

Andy

One thing to look for with self draining decks is there height above the water. Imho there are 2 many self draining deck style boats being built these days with the decks to high! Yes it keeps your toes dry whilst fishing but if they were to cop a wave they would roll faster than you could say " where did i put the epirb" A self draining deck that always allows water in at rest but dries on the plane is a FAR FAR safer option! And as far a CC's go and cuddy's well the expossure facture is so so so much higher in a cc!

ian

siegfried
13-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Dood, do what I do, dont go out if the weather is sh%^house, these days we have enough information at our fingertips to reduce the risk of disaster. You will notice that nearly all recent catastrophes have one thing in common, conditions that were not conductive to safe boating. Now there will always be legends with years of experience ,blah blah crap crap, but often its these fullas that come unstuck, bad luck then becomes the scapegoat for plain old ....bad management.
(and dont worry about poor old Kerry hell be back on his medication soon):P

FNQCairns
13-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Self draining decks on our small boats makes for false confidence IMO, the scuppers are simply not big enough to drain fast in the way most consider them like on trawlers with gaping holes in their sides or other semi displacement/planning hulls etc, Safer is the ability to get the water down below as ballast fast! The same amount of water on the deck of a small sealed deck boat will roll it well before the scuppers clear it in rough water, as mentioned above a transom door on a sealed deck is the go but only if left open.

cheers fnq

finding_time
13-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Fnq

Totally agree mate! It makes me laugh when you read reports on certain boats that say " nice high sides" all i think is boy that will hole alot of water! I had an old ub520 southwing long boat for a few years and it was a really safe self drainer. The deck was at water level ( yes you always had wet feet with the scuppers open) the sides were low and the transom around the motor well was only 3 inches high! Now some might not think this is safe at all but i came unstuck on a bar one day and had 3 waves break into the boat, it was full to the gunnels with water most of which flowed right out the transom and the remaining 2 and a bit inches eventualy flowed out the scuppers now not many boat would have come through that situation! Btw the wave that got me were big the first breaking on the motor it was curling and sucking that much the whole boat punched through the wave and could not have held another drop of water! Scary!!

ian

FNQCairns
13-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeah Ian your experience paints the picture, scuppers are a nice and convenient no fuss way of clearing nuisance water but never more than this on our full planing hulls, worldwide scuppers sink more boats than they save each year, when truly in the poop high transom/sided boats will every time sink before a low one will if headway can be maintained and i guess earliest if wallowing.

cheers fnq

disorderly
13-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Flex.....For 100 km offshore I'd definitely go for a Quintrex Offshore model ..specially made from pressed plate for maximum strength to handle the rough stuff out wide....much safer than a glass boat...

FNQCairns
13-04-2009, 12:11 PM
;D;D;D;D;)

cheers fnq

bicko1
13-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I cant believe people would disagree with me the ride of a 5.5m plate "tinny" compaired to a 6m glass boat. there are a lot of good 2nd hand boats about going for a good price. I have been offshore in both and when the weather goes bad I know what I woul rather be in. Just my opinion

DAZMC1
13-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Flex.....For 100 km offshore I'd definitely go for a Quintrex Offshore model ..specially made from pressed plate for maximum strength to handle the rough stuff out wide....much safer than a glass boat...
Yeah right! untill all of your little foam flotation blocks go floating away !

frankgrimes
13-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah right! untill all of your little foam flotation blocks go floating away !

Think you'll find disorderly was being a tad sarcastic mate ;)

Mick

finding_time
13-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Ya think! I'm still trying to work out which "Offshore"he was refering to ,the knee and hip joint shattering 610 or the spine compressing 650!

TonyM
13-04-2009, 01:56 PM
I saw a bloke who literally broke his back in one at 1770 last year, admittedly he did hit a whale though! (broke the boats back too)

siegfried
13-04-2009, 02:11 PM
I cant believe people would disagree with me the ride of a 5.5m plate "tinny" compaired to a 6m glass boat. there are a lot of good 2nd hand boats about going for a good price. I have been offshore in both and when the weather goes bad I know what I woul rather be in. Just my opinion
Theres 2 types of people, the type that agree with you and the other ones we call prawns - meat in the ar$e and Sh*& in the heads;D ;D ;D Me, I agree with ya

rubba
13-04-2009, 02:43 PM
GBC mate i would rather be in a cruise craft ,also mate i have been down before and let me tell you its no fun and yes i do own the cruise craft in the avatar and sorry mate its no stabi 3m but thats all i could afford at the time,and i believe the lenght of the hull definatly adds to the sea worthness and capabilitys when crossing coastal bars i dont really think you no what youre on about at all another no it all that no #### all

finding_time
13-04-2009, 03:33 PM
i dont really think you no what youre on about at all another no it all that no #### all

Rubba

Mate it goes a little against the grain for me to defend GBC as he;s more that capable of defending himself but He really does know what he's talking about have owned a CC outsider and has more sea hrs than half of Ausfish combined in many differant vessels from dingy's to trawlers to ships. If you would just calm down and reread GBS's post i'm sure you would see the sense in his posts!;)

Now i'm sure your CC's a great boat and more than capable of handling anything you can throw at it but one decent wave in it and it's stuffed period!!!! Your electrics will be gone( including pump , radio etc) and you'll be a sitting duck for the second wave ! This is all gbc was saying, it like most modern boats are just big buckets and have no place in a truely ugly ocean!

GBC
13-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Geez Rubba, you are starting to sound like a bloke that's been down before. :-*
See, getting personal is easy.
I don't own a stabi, was just using one to make a point - and all the money in the world won't buy you one when your cruise craft is swamped.
Happy Easter.

whatscracken
13-04-2009, 04:30 PM
We took a 4.85m Sea Jay to the reef off Townsville at new years 07/08 from Maggie. Mind you the weather was glass day after day up there at the time. 100L fuel tank with a fuel injected 60HP Yamaha got us there and back with a quarter of a spare. Haven't been that lucky with the weather since to try a trip like that again.

disorderly
13-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Now i'm sure your CC's a great boat and more than capable of handling anything you can throw at it but one decent wave in it and it's stuffed period!!!! Your electrics will be gone( including pump , radio etc) and you'll be a sitting duck for the second wave ! This is all gbc was saying, it like most modern boats are just big buckets and have no place in a truely ugly ocean!

"big buckets"...I like that Ian...But thats about what it all comes down to in the end...most modern boats are really just Showponies and just not designed to handle big ugly offshore conditions at all...

Most of us take an element of risk when we venture out wide ..I guess its all about risk management and a small slice of luck...:) ..
or else just get a Kevlacat right Kerry and Ian...;);D

finding_time
13-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Scott

Mate if it got really ugly there are plenty of monohulls i would rather be in than my Kevlacat ( it's fairly slow to turn being a cat and this could become an issue) but saying that if it did get really bad out there the first thing i would do is remove the transom/marlin door as loots of water can get out quickly through a 2 foot wide square hole! If you really want to talk about boats that can cope with the shite well look at offshore sailing boats , weight down low, small cockpits with little or no transoms and most have no side just decks and provided strenght hasn't been compromised for speed there a very very safe way to travel the open ocean!

disorderly
13-04-2009, 04:55 PM
I agree with you Ian...but I still feel obligated to take the p!ss outta ya bout ya poncy cat...:-*

jtpython
13-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Holy Smokers we are getting well off track now.

As time has gone by if certain sized boats we use to venture to a Shoal off the Coastline called Lisa Jane Shoals some 27 km Directly East of the Capricorn Coast line.............Now with no GPS's and only bearings you'd spend hours looking at landmarks to finally get onto them then with limited sounders get good bottom . Now with the technology we have now boats get to the position spot on and sounders to pick up the slightest of fern we are travelling further and quicker to marks with fuel saving motors and fast. With phones that we use to monitor weather stations for wind it very easy to travel long distances and feel confident in doing so . So from travelling 27 km years ago or even 30 km to some close islands years ago was a long trip and the weather use to catch us then and will probably still catch us now but am confident in my knowledge and others or the boat to handle certain situations and have been caught in some doozy's but thats what fishing is all about .
And touch wood have not been in serious trouble yet........ But i would hope in a instant that i need help i have the support of the local CoastGuard that we have been members with for ever are there or fellow fisherman and women as i would for them
So would i take my 5.5 outwide YES In stupid conditions NO
Common Sense
JT

Far side
13-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Tell me Rubba -
It's times like this when you find out about seaworthy, not punching a bit of chop through combi on a run out tide.

The reason I'm having a go again, is relevant to the first post. I don't believe hull length is directly relative to seaworthiness. It is directly relative to comfort and hull speed - and too many people can't make the differentiation.

I have been with rubber out the south passage bar quite a few times and I have done it in a few different boats

The last time we did it was in a 685 and the two curling waves that we punched through @ 2-3 meters did not drop any significant water in the boat.
The length of an offshore boat significantly does affect its sea worthiness the longer hull combined with the weight is a significant advantage in punching through swell the stability of the longer hull is clearly demonstrated when you go from the 585 to the 685 a totally different boat. Combi on the right tides with an eastern swell demonstrates the classic pressure wave you get in a bar sometimes its not a cake walk.

As for the comment on combi I have been with rubba in my boat and with him following between 3 meter pressure waves rounding the rough. Plenty of trouble to be had on that piece of water for the inexperienced in small vessels.

As for the stabi craft there have been a few lost on bars in southeast queensland
One rolled at noosa last year from memory. They are not the end all be all of boating and like any boat will put you in the water if not driven well.

bronsonwinston
13-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Just a reminder to how things can turn to sh#t. I'll share a little misshap that happened to me about 6 months ago off 1770. We were doing well just south of Lady Musgrave with trout, reds and glassed out conditions. The call was made to spend the night anchored as the fish were still coming on board and not venture into the lagoon. We were woken around midnight with the sound of the line whistling in the wind and the boat slapping in the chop. We monitered the conditions and after about an hour half the call was to pull anchor as the boat was rolling dangerously. We decided to head to the safety of 1770 and not attempt the narrow entrance to the lagoon at night. About halfway in the conditions got from bad to worse with seas being several metres. The 6.8m Spearfarer went through a wave coming over the windscreen knocking my brother in law to the floor, with no scuppers the boat was wallowing with several inches of water in the back. The swithcboard copped it (as its not sealed) and took out the lights, fish finder and GPS. So with still about 30km to go we noticed some lights on the horizon and assumed they were 1770. Following the lights for some time and feeling weary the lights materialised out of now where to be a great big friggin cargo ship. Life jacket on and EPIRB in hand we got battered by both the wash of the ship and the seas. Cut a long story short i sold the voyager and have vowed never to be in the blue seas at night again.

whatscracken
13-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Thats pretty full on Bronson, that story is one for the un educated on just how unpredictable things can be. Even with all the weather services available mother nature makes the rules in the end.

Good to see there was a safe outcome from your trip.

Camo
13-04-2009, 05:58 PM

Yeah and they come with cracks in the hull, that lets the water out faster, no need for scuppers.

Wahoo
13-04-2009, 06:03 PM

Bring em in Scotty........Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz;D;D

GBC
13-04-2009, 06:13 PM
I have been with rubber out the south passage bar quite a few times and I have done it in a few different boats

The last time we did it was in a 685 and the two curling waves that we punched through @ 2-3 meters did not drop any significant water in the boat.
The length of an offshore boat significantly does affect its sea worthiness the longer hull combined with the weight is a significant advantage in punching through swell the stability of the longer hull is clearly demonstrated when you go from the 585 to the 685 a totally different boat. Combi on the right tides with an eastern swell demonstrates the classic pressure wave you get in a bar sometimes its not a cake walk.

As for the comment on combi I have been with rubba in my boat and with him following between 3 meter pressure waves rounding the rough. Plenty of trouble to be had on that piece of water for the inexperienced in small vessels.

As for the stabi craft there have been a few lost on bars in southeast queensland
One rolled at noosa last year from memory. They are not the end all be all of boating and like any boat will put you in the water if not driven well.

Mate, totally agree - I don't know you blokes, and I most certainly didn't take a shot at anyone's seamanship ability. In fact I didn't get personal at all - old mate decided to turn it into a pissing contest - not me.
I have some experience in both hulls you mention, and the 625 - last time I did the sth passage about 3 weeks ago was driving a 685 - missed the entry on the trip home too and all. They are a very honest hull for sh!t conditions. They love being driven slow (ideal for the rough stuff) and have some of the best fore and aft recovery money can buy in a fibreglass trailer boat.

I'll give ground here and agree that - given similar design parameters - eg 565, 625, 685 cruise craft hulls, obviously the longer hull will be more comfortable AND more sea worthy.

BUT - just because the 685 punches waves better under power, does not mean that a well set up 3m stabi (do they make a 3m stabi?) will not last longer in a cyclone. What I was talking about was:
1. The hull's ability to shed water
2. The hull's inherent stability (cat like while swamped with best stability carried at its beams)
3. the massive inherent bouyancy these hulls carry (the bouyancy doesn't disappear while swamped either, so they'll self drain at rest)

No-one will argue that a $110k rig is going to be easier to live with in every day fishing conditions, but again I'll say - don't mistake a luxurious ride (if you want one of those don't own a cc ;) ) with ultimate seaworthiness.

P.S. I agree combi can be a pretty scary place - that's the point - I once nearly got cleaned up by a god only knows how big perfect breaking right hander on the Pearl Banks in the early evening in the middle of winter while heading outside to go snapper fishing (almost dead calm - I assume it was a ship's wash??). None of us knows when we'll be in some deep sh!t, and usually it happens when we don't expect it - Murphey's Law- and very few commercial recreational boat builders design vessels with ultimate sea worthiness in mind - It doesn't pay the bills because not many people will pay for it up front.

ozscott
13-04-2009, 06:37 PM
In a pooping (a big pooping at that) or massive water over the front I can agree with the benefits of low transom. However for most of a boats life outside or in the bay high sides afford protection for kids (from falling out), safety for adults in leaning against gunwales/transoms to fish etc (from falling out :)), and safety from waves coming over the transom at rest (as i found out the hard way sitting in the cauldron of Jumpinpin fishing for taylor in my old Haines V163 with its incredibly low transom (with not too much weight on the back either - a 60hp 2 stroke).

So for me I take my high sided Vagabond thanks...but with the knowledge that if I ever did cop a biggy or 2 over the arse that my two bilge pumps with auto float would struggle for sure, and I would be hoping for shear bouyancy (surface area mainly from its pretty good size) to give me some time to get going. I know that a fully postively bouyant boat with small cockpit and low rear transom is more likely to keep afloat in the most adverse conditions, but then again the high front and cabin are pretty bloody nice to have going into (against) adverse conditions, as is the bullet proof glass. I also dont do much in the way of bar crossings so my requirements may be different to some. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Teabag73
13-04-2009, 06:43 PM
IMO, this post is getting way off track and breaking out into a bit of a pissing contest though entertaining. I see a few terms thrown around and think all should understand what they really mean and not what we think it means.

For instance.

sea⋅wor⋅thy 
http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html) Show Spelled Pronunciation [see-wur-thhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngee] http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html) Show IPA
–adjective, -thi⋅er, -thi⋅est. (of a vessel)
1.constructed, outfitted, manned, and in all respects fitted for a voyage at sea.
2.safe for a voyage at sea.

Please continue the bickering......TIC

Reef_fisher
13-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Answer to the original question is yes, even given all the points "discussed". I frequently go 50-60klms out off Innisfail in my 4.5 brooker c/c for overnighters. I have had a pod 600mm added to the back and that improved the handling (pitch, turning and holeshot) Even when you pick the weather you get caught out, I have. Going from less than 5knot winds with almost glass conditions to 25-30knots 2+m seas and rain heavy enough to cut visability to less than 100m in a matter of minutes is freckle twitching stuff. It then takes 2 hrs or more to get back. The ride is back breaking and knee smashing stuff.
To do it in any boat your electrics need to be as waterproof as you can make them, I don't have a hard wired GPS, mine is a hand held waterproof one. Have a spare if you can afford it. Make damn sure you maintenance is spot on, as well as all you safety gear.
So yes you can do it, IMHO get the bigger boat if you can afford it. I would. Get the best safety gear you can afford, if in any doubt,don't go out. Always tell someone where you are going to be.

TJ Bear
13-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Thought I would make a contribution, water line length has very little to do with a boats ability to safely survive severe weather. The 6.5m Mini Transat sail boats race accross the Atlantic single handed and the Titanic was a giant and supposedly unsinkable and we know how that turned out. In severe (force 7 and above) about the last boat I would want to be on is a Cat. Cats have a very high level of intial stability but once they reach there point of diminishing stability they are upside down. This is the reason you don't see US or British rescue vessels designed as Cats. In severe weather you want to be in a displacement hull without a hard chine (low intial stability very high point of diminishing stability). I would also want to be able to seal off the wheel house and engine compartment with watertight hatches etc etc basiclly want to be in a 120ft US Coast Guard vessel that is watertight and self righting if I have the option.Every boat is a compromise and the most important bit of safety kit is between the skippers ears. There are skippers out there I would have no issue taking a sub 5.5m boat to 100km offshore and there are others I wouldn't like going to inshore reefs in 1m of swell and 15 knots of wind. Just my 2 cents

Kerry
13-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah the post is way off track BUT the original point intended has been made and sheeted home regardless of many people's poor attitudes. Some times inexperienced people romancing themselves waving incompetent flags have rather thick skins so need a bit of a wake up.

It really doesn't surprise me some of the attitudes and comments and neither does all the barking by some who aren't in it for the comments but rather the stupidity, unintelligence and attempted bullying they convey. Even more pathetic when these types of people have echoes.

In summary the places mentioned are simply not for the type of vessel intended and it doesn't take a very experienced person (actually most inexperienced people already know this) to realize or understand this YET some condone this.

A lot of intersting comments above, some fact, some BS, some stupid, some inexperience, some pathetic, some incompetent some bad attitudes but then bullying is the first sign of having no confidence along with quite a few expectations that there are people to go get em when they stuff up. Poor attitude!

The message is very clear and very long regardless but some simply can't be told while romancing themselves.

One interesting comment above about the best place for water is in the bottom of the boat! Will leave you all with the following, decision being, is all the water in the boat or all the boat is in the water :) What's even more staggering is exactly what is under the air bags, have a guess Flex?

http://www.cqnet.com.au/~user/maxwell/image/buoy_neg.jpg

Nomad62
13-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Guys, we all know that the biggest test of sea worthiness comes from bad weather and big swells.

Both of these problems can be minimised by monitoring weather forecasts and current sea conditions. You find a lot of guys that constantly encounter problems are driven by what time they have available to go fishing rather than by the weather. Keep an eye on the boat ramps and you will see the same guys making the same mistakes.

In the event of a quick change of weather ( and lets face it, it can just happen), have a back up plan....an island or closer port to go to.

If you find yourself constantly testing your boat and your skills to extremes....your not making good decisions, obvious, i know but take some time to reflect.

Another problem that can be forgotten is debris....as in logs, containers and sea life....whales, sunfish etc. Hit any of these and even the biggest fishing craft can come unstuck.

Cheers Nomad

FNQCairns
13-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah the post is way off track BUT the original point intended has been made and sheeted home regardless of many people's poor attitudes. Some times inexperienced people romancing themselves waving incompetent flags have rather thick skins so need a bit of a wake up.

It really doesn't surprise me some of the attitudes and comments and neither does all the barking by some who aren't in it for the comments but rather the stupidity, unintelligence and attempted bullying they convey. Even more pathetic when these types of people have echoes.

In summary the places mentioned are simply not for the type of vessel intended and it doesn't take a very experienced person (actually most inexperienced people already know this) to realize or understand this YET some condone this.

A lot of intersting comments above, some fact, some BS, some stupid, some inexperience, some pathetic, some incompetent some bad attitudes but then bullying is the first sign of having no confidence along with quite a few expectations that there are people to go get em when they stuff up. Poor attitude!

The message is very clear and very long regardless but some simply can't be told while romancing themselves.

One interesting comment above about the best place for water is in the bottom of the boat! Will leave you all with the following, decision being, is all the water in the boat or all the boat is in the water :) What's even more staggering is exactly what is under the air bags, have a guess Flex?

http://www.cqnet.com.au/%7Euser/maxwell/image/buoy_neg.jpg

kerry Let me guess a Kevlacat with 115hp yamaha's;) , one day if you make past the rough and tumble of the dock grab a snap of that too;D;D;D

cheers fnq

disorderly
13-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Just a reminder to how things can turn to sh#t. I'll share a little misshap that happened to me about 6 months ago off 1770. We were doing well just south of Lady Musgrave with trout, reds and glassed out conditions. The call was made to spend the night anchored as the fish were still coming on board and not venture into the lagoon. We were woken around midnight with the sound of the line whistling in the wind and the boat slapping in the chop. We monitered the conditions and after about an hour half the call was to pull anchor as the boat was rolling dangerously. We decided to head to the safety of 1770 and not attempt the narrow entrance to the lagoon at night. About halfway in the conditions got from bad to worse with seas being several metres. The 6.8m Spearfarer went through a wave coming over the windscreen knocking my brother in law to the floor, with no scuppers the boat was wallowing with several inches of water in the back. The swithcboard copped it (as its not sealed) and took out the lights, fish finder and GPS. So with still about 30km to go we noticed some lights on the horizon and assumed they were 1770. Following the lights for some time and feeling weary the lights materialised out of now where to be a great big friggin cargo ship. Life jacket on and EPIRB in hand we got battered by both the wash of the ship and the seas. Cut a long story short i sold the voyager and have vowed never to be in the blue seas at night again.

Bit tough to blame any boat in that situation...

I would tend to assign the blame to the skipper that decided to up anchor when a front came through in the middle of the night and try and drive through over 60 km's of very rough open water in darkness rather than stay put or try and anchor and lay out a heap of line in the lee of reef somewhere till daylight...

Scott

Kerry
13-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi Flex,
Lots of good advice and debate going on here.
Get to know all of your local weather observation sites (Rundle Island , Heron Island, Yeppoon) and check them for the latest observations. You can get this from the BOM site or others like weatherzone etc. This will give you real time information.

The weather, among other things already mentioned on this site can make all the difference,,,,always take heed of the forecasts and check current conditions.

Cheers Nomad

That is the trick to actually KNOW what the lcoal weather sites do and how they behave. Many of these don't have a great bearing NE of the Keppels, not even Heron.

Frankly Yeppoon would have to be one of the most useless coastal weather stations (wind wise) on the entire east coast, simply has no relevance to Keppel Bay (and certainly not beyond) what so ever with regard predominate winds.

Rundle is also a funny one due to affects from Cape Cap but at least this is the opposite to Yeppoon, generally always over.

Kerry
13-04-2009, 08:23 PM
kerry Let me guess a Kevlacat with 115hp yamaha's;) , one day if you make past the rough and tumble of the dock grab a snap of that too;D;D;D

cheers fnq

;D ;D There you go fnq snap of dock in background :o more than happy to stand off the dock rather than under it.

You ever tried to get an air bag up on the plane? :o

Even more amazing how some boats can sink by the ar.. so quick with very little help (arh water).

No my preference is for the water to stay well and truely on the outside

ozscott
13-04-2009, 08:27 PM
I agree with Disorderly - you cannot blame the Seafarer for the above...nor call it a Spearfarer. The Victory's were a good hull....from a long way back.

Cheers

Flex
13-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Seems a can of worms has been opened eh!
Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated and I've taken it all on board. What I gathered is heading offshore and boat size is simply an opinion not a fact. I gather some people become more bold and others more scared the more experience they have. For me I guess I'll gather my own experience as I go and by asking questions. Thousands upon thousands of boats head out each year, and out of those its usually only a handful who come into trouble. So it proves 99% of people out there are responsible and manage boating hazards sufficiently. Regardless of what others may think I consider myself at least intelligent enough to manage the risks accordingly.

Thanks again everyone, it's been an interesting thread regardless:)

GBC
13-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Voyager hulls are not Victory hulls - bit bigger.

I'd love one to death, but they are well known for 'capping' the odd one.

Hard to say what my call would be in that situation, but Musgrave is big enough - I'd prolly go for the lee shore there? Not fair to say the skipper's call was incorrect though I think.

I will say though that if an anchorage is available (Musgrave or Fitz), we're usually tied up and drinking by sundown when out there in trailer boats.

Kerry,

damn straight about met stations reading under/over the real conditions. DI and Moreton are on the tops of dirty great cliffs.

FNQCairns
13-04-2009, 08:58 PM
;D ;D There you go fnq snap of dock in background :o more than happy to stand off the dock rather than under it.

You ever tried to get an air bag up on the plane? :o

Even more amazing how some boats can sink by the ar.. so quick with very little help (arh water).

No my preference is for the water to stay well and truely on the outside

Too true I was in this predicament almost exactly a year ago, it was hit and miss, water right up to the bottom of my transom door under acceleration of which there was none, nose very high in the air, arse dragging badly as I bucketed water with the bilge and finally battled it onto the plane and safety, the boat remained amazingly stable right thought the exercise. No chance could I have had that much water in the boat above floor and gotten out of it without dipping the corner under.

Have sunk and righted tinnys for play many times and an 18 foot fibreglass half cabin deliberatly once to make it under a bridge instead of waiting the tide out years ago, water underfloor is amazingly ok if one can get it back out it's above floor water that gets real scary real fast, litre for litre.

Always best on the outside as you say.

cheers fnq

Nomad62
13-04-2009, 09:02 PM
That is the trick to actually KNOW what the lcoal weather sites do and how they behave. Many of these don't have a great bearing NE of the Keppels, not even Heron.

Frankly Yeppoon would have to be one of the most useless coastal weather stations (wind wise) on the entire east coast, simply has no relevance to Keppel Bay (and certainly not beyond) what so ever with regard predominate winds.

Rundle is also a funny one due to affects from Cape Cap but at least this is the opposite to Yeppoon, generally always over.

Yep, pay that....the Yeppoon station doesn't have a great bearing on local conditions due to its sheltered position at Ross Creek, however it does tell a story and that is even if its wind readings are low and conditions visually look OK inside the bay things may be a little different outside past the islands.

Generally i have found Rundles readings to be a fair indicator of wind strength around the Keppels and beyond, but direction is sometimes debatable.

As for heading north, bit of a suck it and see.....once past Corio Heads you can usually tell what to expect by the wind and swell direction. This can be completely different to the bay.

Never the less the information these stations supply (barometric pressure etc) can be used as a tool along with current forecasts, and the obvious, cloud formations.

In the end experience, current information and good judgement will dictate the outcome.

Cheers Nomad

siegfried
13-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Disregard all previous posts and buy a 233 Formula ,the only time youll see another boat is when your lookin over your shoulder

ifishcq1
13-04-2009, 09:35 PM
That was a cat under the floats at Rosslyn Bay in one of our best local prawn spots

Flex
we fished for years launching from the beach Moreton Straddy and Frazer on some bloody awful days in a clark 14ft Abalone we fished day in day out and often bigger boats were no show it was just slow and my back has never recovered but the point is any boat will get you home if driven right

and seriously none of us can probably swim from 20km let alone 100km so once you are past the islands

Nomad we always check Herron Rundle Pumpkin and Stanage for a good cross reference and usually if we are going real wide we pair up
Have you done any serious stuff in the new rig yet

Flex there are lots of us here going out at any opportunity just give us a yell and there will be someone heading your direction

Cheers
SL

bronsonwinston
13-04-2009, 10:08 PM
The night i got myself into trouble was moonlit and i could see the dips and the crests of the waves (musgrave was about 15km NW). In a situation i was in are you better off taking the swell on in a moving boat or lay anchor and hang on? I felt safer with boat moving and being able to manuver the waves.
Not knocking the hull of the voyager as they ride very well in the conditions but believe me after having one for a few years they are wet and do have a draining problem.

finding_time
13-04-2009, 10:29 PM
The night i got myself into trouble was moonlit and i could see the dips and the crests of the waves (musgrave was about 15km NW). In a situation i was in are you better off taking the swell on in a moving boat or lay anchor and hang on? I felt safer with boat moving and being able to manuver the waves.
Not knocking the hull of the voyager as they ride very well in the conditions but believe me after having one for a few years they are wet and do have a draining problem.

There is no way i would have anchored in exposed water either , that's just got disaster written all over it but if i could have moved around to the protected lee of one of the reefs then anchored that would have been my course of action ! but i wasn't there and i'm sure it was a very very worring time!!!

ian

Nomad62
14-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Nomad we always check Herron Rundle Pumpkin and Stanage for a good cross reference and usually if we are going real wide we pair up
Have you done any serious stuff in the new rig yet

Cheers
SL

Scotty,
Nope......only window of opportunity has been during the week when i'm busy at work. But all thats gonna change soon when i go onto a 7 day roster.....will have a string of days off during the week....lets see what the weather gods do to me then!!:P

Nomad

Kerry
14-04-2009, 08:07 AM
That was a cat under the floats at Rosslyn Bay ......

Yeah? Scotty, want to have another guess?

northernblue
14-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Yeah? Scotty, want to have another guess?

Well, I'm happy to see you back Kerry, you've made your point, now can you tell us more about this sinking?

kokomo
14-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Interesting thread guys..

I have done some reflecting on My rig and although I rate it as one of the most sea worthy center cab setups for offshore waters, A custom built foam sandwich hull with self draining decks, high free-board, large scuppers, this thread has pointed out a chick in my amour. regarding cabin doors. it will now be rectified :) :D

Its important that everyone takes something out of this thread and don't get bogged down with allot of the bullshit.

The most important point from this thread IMO is weather, I don't use BOM or Sea breeze I use a professional weather service (mostly used by racing yachts) and it is by far way more accurate offering 8km/1km resolution updated every hour. It seems expensive however I can get a full year of service for less than one tank of fuel.

The failure of BOM and sea-breeze is that they have to forecast for such a large area and generally report a worst case senarios... (at least this is fail safe) but often not as accurate as required.

I can confidently wake up in the morning and get forecasts for the cape.. or pt lookout and I fish the best weather.. one is often 15-20 and the other is 5-12

Also I have had some great trips where we just leave later in the day and motor into some great weather that was not fish able at the crack of dawn. however the afternoon shifts have been very productive with little or no boats around.

siegfried
14-04-2009, 10:05 AM
WHATS THE NAME OF THIS PROFESSIONAL WEATHER SERVICE, sounds like the go. We use bouyweather.com.. very good but always looking for something better. Also I may be missing something but what has a photo of a sunken boat at a wharf got to do with being ar$e over headed X amount of km offshore

Noelm
14-04-2009, 10:13 AM
back to the very start, this sort of thing comes up all the time, there is no reason why the sea/swell or anything else is worse 100 miles out to sea as it is 10 miles out to sea, as long as you have fuel, you know what you are doing and you have a good Boat in the first place, the actual size will matter bugger all (sort of) all sorts of things can go wrong (and do) and if you are 100 miles out, then it takes longer to get home, but in a 5.5 metre Boat it will not matter, if everything keeps going and you know what you are doing, you will get home, and the truth of the matter is, if you have to ask, then you do not know what you or your Boat is capable of! so stay in close and scurry home as soon as a puff of wind comes up, or the weather man says so! just think for a minute what happens when a big ship goes guts up, the crew jump into an inflatable "tent" or look at the rubber ducks the Surf clubs use, taken out through surf from a beach start, with a tiller steer 25HP.

kokomo
14-04-2009, 10:15 AM
www.predictwind.com (http://www.predictwind.com)

http://www.predictwind.com/What+is+PredictWind/Fishing.html

http://www.predictwind.com/What+is+PredictWind.html

plus they are offering a free one month trial..

Disclaimer I have nothing to do with predictwind except use the service

ifishcq1
14-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi Kerry
ya got me unless it was that 5.6 quintrex with the bum ripped out of it
other local failures have been 21 stessyl trihull, 25ft cat, 18ft seafarer, 21ft stinger, 20ft hooker and a few other quinnys and a couple of stessco most went out alone and had little experience
but all it says to me is not many of these guys drove to the conditions or obviously their boats capabilities, which are the most important factors
you really have to understand your own and your boats limits

not who made it or what their boats are made of or how big
it is funny how nearly all boats that come to grief are alone

cheers
SL

GBC
14-04-2009, 07:40 PM
I fish solo a lot, and I'll be the first to admit that my mind plays tricks on me a bit when I'm out at sea alone - especially when the weather is a bit marginal.

Donny Boy
14-04-2009, 07:45 PM
I'll have a stab at it & say it's a yacht down there.

TheRealAndy
14-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I know this has been posted here before. Both of these boats had engine failures. The weight in the keel of the yacht is responsible for self righting. If it were water in the bottom of it (in place of the keel), then it would not have come back up. Not really relevent, but its well worth a look at the way the cat rolled. A mono power boat would have done exactly the same. The coastguard was doing the right thing up to the point where the engine failed, in which case you want to hope that you have your epirb handy.

80KDLR9_3PY

Blackened
14-04-2009, 08:54 PM
G'day

That's incredible footage of the chopper

Dave