PDA

View Full Version : boat overhaul

lethal098
07-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Well the time has come to paint the girl after my fuel leak last year. I bit the bullet 4 weeks ago and started to strip the paint and strip all external fittings, canopy, windscreen, rocket launcher, stainless rails and all the other little things we have hanging off. Well 4 weeks later and i have had enuf and have decided to hand it over to a professional to remove the rest of the paint and re paint my beloved boat. As i only usually have at best half a day on weekends to work on her it takes a lot to get a little done. I am taking the boat to top flite spray works at caboolture on a reccomendation from TUNA BOY (thanks Jonno) i will try and post some pictures tonight at what she looks like at the moment and what she did look like in her former glory if i can find some photos. I will make sure i take some photos as she goes through the process and i cannot wait to be back on the water soon. ps if anyone knows of ally fabricator for rocket launcher/canopy frame plus flooring please feel free to send me some information. i will post some photos as soon as i have them to hand. cheers Lee

ok here is some photos, they are old and not that great but they give you the general idea, boat was dropped off yesterday and she wil be about 4 weeks, Shaun at top flight spray works is also going to do the fabrication for me for the bimini and rocket launcher as well as a new floor. cheers guys and will post more photos as they come to hand. cheers Lee

TimiBoy
07-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Mate I would be happy to recommend Capalaba Boat Centre. Brian builds Mojo boats (www.mojoboats.com) (http://www.mojoboats.com%29). 0411728379.

He did some aluminium welding for me recently, and oh boy, the job was superb. I had a good look at his work while I was there. Loved his workshop, and loved what was going on in his head, we had a loooong chat!

He's at the Redlands Marina.

Cheers,

Tim

therapy
07-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Gedday Lethal,
Have you been given a ball park figure for the respray? I would be interested in getting my 5.2 mtr Sportfish done in the not too distant future. (apparently I've gotta pay for the wedding first!! women and their priorities!!). PM me with details if you like.

Thanks....Terry.........

lethal098
08-04-2009, 08:04 AM
terry, pm sent

Wahoo
08-04-2009, 08:58 AM
should look very nice once done Lee, you don't relies how much time it can take up, you will be on the water before you know it

Daz

lethal098
08-04-2009, 12:46 PM
timi, thanks mate i may give him a call, i want to try and have local as during the week the work day starts at 6am and finishes at 6 at night so i dont get a lot of time to deliver further, glad to see you were able to sort probs and keep Bubi, we will have to get you up the sunny coast once the snapper start to come on.

daz, yeah it has taken a lot of my time already and still fighting with the mrs with all the paint that is still on the driveway and every waking minute i am thinking about it. i cannot wait to get her back on the water as the bug is biting and hopefully the snapper will be soon as well. cheers for the replies. Lee

TimiBoy
08-04-2009, 12:50 PM
timi, thanks mate i may give him a call, i want to try and have local as during the week the work day starts at 6am and finishes at 6 at night so i dont get a lot of time to deliver further, glad to see you were able to sort probs and keep Bubi, we will have to get you up the sunny coast once the snapper start to come on.

Lee,

I'm glad too. Let me make this very clear: the Sunny Coast sounds great, and I AM READY FOR YOUR CALL!!!!

Cheers,

Tim

lethal098
09-04-2009, 08:28 AM
i have added Some photos above, they are old and dont show all the mods i have done,

if anyone has some photos of their canopy/rocket launcher setup could you post them so i can get a few ideas, cheers Lee

BaitThrower
09-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Nice boat mate... What size/brand/model?
And what ya got on the back?

lethal098
09-04-2009, 09:41 AM
baitthrower,
5.25metres (17foot) Savage pacific 115 evinrude DI
originally i had a 100 mariner but it guzzled a little too much fuel,
i now spend a day at the southern end of the barwon banks usually 120km round trip and use no more than 50 litres. hopefully she will be even nicer once she is done the way i want. cheers Lee

lethal098
09-04-2009, 12:36 PM
well just got the call that the boat is going to be SODA blasted to remove all the paint and primer off it, anyone that hasnt heard of it check out the link, they use BAKING SODA, yes thats right normal household baking soda. will have some more photos through over the next few days. cheers Lee
http://www.sodablast.com.au/main.php

lethal098
27-04-2009, 07:21 AM
ok boat has now been blasted, see photos below,
will be getting painted this week.
will post some more photos soon,
any pics of canopy and rocket launchers still need ideas. cheers Lee

lethal098
01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
ok so boat being painted today and will be able to get her back tomorrow so i can refit everything i have taken off, over the next few weekends i will be putting floor in and fabricating launcher and canopy and bait board, floor is going to be 3mm checka plat ally and launcher/canopy will be stainless. will post some more photos once i get her back tomorrow. cheers Lee

lethal098
12-05-2009, 01:43 PM
update,

ok boat has been back now for a week and have spent a few hours putting all the bolt on bits back on, the paint job done by Shaun at top flight sprayworx is sensational and have no questions about reccomending him to others.

i havent had chance for any photos with the screen and stainless bits back on but will update over the next few days.

next job is the fabricating the checka plate floor and rocket launcher and biminy frame.

next job after is complete rewire, this is the part that will be the simplest for me as my mechanical background means this is the easiest part of the whole job, i will post more photos as she progresses, thanks Lee