PDA

View Full Version : My first Tuna...

LostNearBribie
06-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Hey all,

Firstly I would just like to thank Mac1952 for giving me a call to let me know he had a spare spot on his boat.
Then he wouldn't accept any payment from either of the drop in "Deckies" he took out that day. Great bloke.

We headed out from Mooloolaba on day break, travelled up towards Noosa and some cleaner water. It was chocolate milk heading out the bar.
We then got a lesson from Justin on how to rig a tailor for trolling.
Bloody amazing to watch someone who knows what they are doing.
He lowered it in next to the boat and it "came alive" the moment it was in the water!
You wouldn't know it had about 5 8/0 hooks in it!
We trolled two tailor and two lures for a while with no luck.
Plenty of chat on the boat and a lot of questions for Justin.
Then Dennis gave me the nod towards my rod, a few nice taps and it was on.
Not a long fight, but lots of fun. I had a few troubles near the boat, the fish didn't go hard till it saw us!
A top gaff shot from Dennis and my first tuna was landed!
Unfortunaltley it was the only fish we got onto that morning and the weather drove us home around midday.

Fish was caught on a Halco Laser Pro crazy deep, 80lb leader, 30lb braid, Sustain 8000 and a custom NV9 15kg rod. (Thanks Pistol P!!!)
I don't have weights or even measurements. I was just stoked to have caught it.
I guess it was about 90cm-1m long from the pics I have.

Again I would just like to thank Dennis for taking me out for the day.
The generosity on this site is just awesome at times.

Was also really impressed with the way the Cat handled a pretty ugly day.
I didn't see another fishing boat out there...

TimiBoy
07-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Nice catch! I thought you were taller though!

Cheers,

Tim

Chamelion
07-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Well done mate... Tuna is on my list of species to catch.

Pistol_P
07-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Nice one Red..!!8-) 8-)

Glad the rod has nailed you a good fish.8-)

Pete

skipalong
07-04-2009, 07:08 PM
top fish red, a great day on the water with a great bunch of guys, we must do it again soon, your welcome anytime on my boat

cheers justin

LostNearBribie
07-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks Justin, you taught us all heaps in a short period of time, all while bashing through a large swell. Top work. As I said on the day mate, I will always put my hand up for a trip. The overnighters sound huge, I have never done that before.
Hope your new boat is delivered soon.

Pistol, the rod is great l really love the feel you get back when it is loaded up.
The whole combo is great. I got the Sustain on here as well. I forget from who, but it is a great bit of kit also.
I caught some great Trevs on it up at 1770, but the tuna is by far the biggest fish yet.
Plenty more to come with any luck!!!

Chamelion, they are great fun, I have caught a couple of macs on light gear, but the real one was just great!

TimiBoy you are a nutcase. Don't let anyone else know that I'm a hobbit...