PDA

View Full Version : Mackay Great Barrier Reef Trip 4.4.09

madman1
06-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi All,

Departed Mackay Harbour @ 0400 on a mates newly acquired 2400 Kevlacat with twin 115 four banger Suzi's. I'm sure glad he didn't buy the Cruise Craft as we would have been fishing for whiting in the Pioneer River as opposed to 110km offshore amongst some thumper bust offs!

Madman hit the score board early with three Red Throat Emporer in quick succession (all too small though)! The first to hit his new baby.;D

After arriving at the reef there was dissapointment everywhere as the boys forgot their spearing gear as the conditions were perfect with great visibility.:'(

I was fishing with 50lb braid and 80lb Black Magic leader with a double paternoster snelled rig with size 9 Instinct circle hooks on a Wilson Live Fibre 10 - 15 kg over head rod and a 2 speed Daiwa 20SLD and straightened four of those bloody hooks:-[ . We reckon there was a massive cod or grouper under the boat as one of the fish came up completely scaled after a massive arm breaking run. Take this as a warning not to be a tight ar$e like myself when buying terminal tackle and pay the $$$ for the good gear and you wont be disappointed. I will be going back to the Gamagatsu or Black Magic hooks from now on!

All in all it was a great first trip for most (myself included) and will hopefully get there again soon.

Travel time was 3 hours out and 2.5 hours back. Fuel consumption at a guess would have been around 350 litres (less if he had twin 150 etecs lol::) ) for 25 fish which included some good Coral Trout, Red Throat Emporer, Hussar etc...

Didn't get any real good pics except from the phone. I'll see if I can download them soon.

Again, if you buy Instinct hooks be ready to be severly dissapointed.

Until next time.

Cheers

Mark

TimiBoy
07-04-2009, 05:35 AM
Sounds fun! I DID buy a Cruisecraft, but she's not set up for that sort of range.

Next boat's a cat though I'm hoping it'll be a little bigger than 24 ft...

Cheers,

Tim

madman1
07-04-2009, 06:28 AM
Bloody amazing boats the cats. It was real sloppy with about a 1 metre swell and probably 2 - 3 foot chop on top at times and she just cut through it like butter at 40 km/hr out and am easy 60 km/hr back as it calmed down a little.

Cant wait for the next trip. Hopefully I'll get another invite.

Cheers

Mark