PDA

View Full Version : Townsville, sloppy seas but still successful

levinge
05-04-2009, 06:04 PM
3am and Horseboy, Snow and myself load the boat and head down to the Coastguard Ramp. Launch in the dark and set off to find some Squid and Fingermark before the sun comes up. We end up dropping the pick behind Magnetic Island at a spot that one of Snow's mates had provided. Squid light goes in and not a squid in sight. Dead baits go down and we began to get a little interest off the bottom. Within 15mins we are being harrassed by little black tip sharks.

Decision made to get the hell out of there, we don't envisage losing gear to vermin. So we head around to Liver Point, anchor down and again squid light in, still no squid, but we do start to pull Grunter, in varying sizes. A small Nannygai comes up over the side and back in again. My line then has that telltale scream as something hits it hard. After a short fight we boat a nice quality Golden Trevally. After that things began to quieten as the sun began its daily arch through the sky. We start to weight up the options, swell is going to get bigger, wind is going to strengthen and its coming from the SE. So, off to Cordelia Rock we head, trailing 1.5m swell and easing the throttle up we make good time out tot he Rock. Stopping short the boys throw in some lures and we start to troll.

Wasn't too long and we begin to see schools of bait on the sounder, surely got to be something around. About 5 mins later Horseboy's line screams and we have our first hit. Good fight and a nice Broad Barred Mackerel is boated, bled and in the kill tank. We continued to troll and on the next pass Snow's line goes off, another Mackerel finds its place in the kill tank. We head down to the bottom of our troll line and set for another run. Halfway through Snow hooks up again, same result another Mackerel in the tank. While he is dealing with this fish Horseboy decides to change lures in an attempt to catch up. Fourth run on the troll line and yep, Snow's line goes off again, this XRAP Firetiger of his is getting a workout, short fight and another Mackerel bites the floor.

We trolled the area for another 30 mins, no more strikes. So off to Rattlesnake and troll between the Islands to see if there are any bit GT's lurking. None, very quiet at the Island, its midday and we decide that its time to head home. A steady run all the way home and all agree it was a fun day even if the weather was not the best for fishing. Got home and the lads split the catch taking 2 big Mackerel home each.

Had fun

skipalong
05-04-2009, 06:42 PM
nice feed of macks mate

well done

justin

jtpython
05-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Well done mate good to see you got a nice feed ....... Nice sized broad fella's
JT

levinge
05-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Yeah they were all very close to mature 1 metre specimens, Snow rang me and said they were nice fat fillets when he finished dressing them up.

Hows the fishing been down your way since Hamish, any improvement???

horseboy
05-04-2009, 07:51 PM
same the fillets are good and solid

Benno1
05-04-2009, 09:58 PM
good feed of fish boys...nice one :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

eugah
06-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Looks like it was a good practice run for this weekend Brett. Shame the weather didn't hold off that extra day for you, but they are nice greys.

Adrian

levinge
06-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Yeah matey, hope this weather eases, otherwise, I'll have to go looking!!!

eugah
06-04-2009, 10:06 AM
At least upm there we will have some options, unlike this place.

levinge
06-04-2009, 10:58 AM
We do have options, you just have to put up with the crap to get there!!!

ronnien
06-04-2009, 05:49 PM
good on ya brett, wade & mate!
friday, saturday was the pick brett, but at least you got out hey & got fresh fish.
well done. what did you catch??? LOL.

ron.

disorderly
06-04-2009, 06:04 PM
what did you catch??? LOL.

ron.

Hey Ron, it seems to be a pattern on Bretts boat doesnt it....

Brett drives and writes the report and the others catch the fish...;);D...

ronnien
06-04-2009, 06:07 PM
seems that way scott.LOL.

ron.

levinge
06-04-2009, 09:13 PM
I picked up a nice Golden at first light.

Wanted a day on the water and still have a fair bit of fillet in the freezer, plus when we troll I prefer to have only 2 rigs running (until I get the outriggers). This way there and no terminal tragic tangles.

So I let the guys have the fun while I ran things from the helm, worked well I thought. My aim is always to make sure the crew get a feed, if I happen to get somethingn, then I am extra happy. Just love watching people catch fish!!!