PDA

View Full Version : Cairns Night Fish

chop duster
05-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Got the boat going for the first time in 3 months at around 4:00pm friday arvo, the call was made, 5 crew were wheelded up in quick succession and everyone was put into action, you get the bait, you get a chook and bread, you fuel up the boat ......... sh!t wheres that new rego sticka?......
Anyways, made it to the ramp and set off at around 7:00pm. 10knots was my call (BOM agreed after checking today). Scooted out to some ground north of Pixie reef for a sound around, not much action on the sounder, although decided to drop a line anyway. Must have dropped the pick in the middle of a kindergarten; reds, large mouth, small mouth, grassies, red-throat, you name it, but nothing over 35cm. Managed 1 red-throat keeper in a little over half an hour before the call was made to head out into the deeper stuff.
Wind had picked up a little by this stage, a glimpes of a white cap or two could be seen in the moonlight. Upon arriving in a new area (we had been wanting to hit since christmas) the sounder come to life.
One of the newbies on board is first to wet a line, he claims he is baited before he got to the bottom... yer put ya bait on properly ya goose....
Next to drop is another newby and is monstered as soon as his bait hits the bottom, you beauty! before he could get his fish up 2 others were grunting and groaning as well. 2 Large mouth nannies and a spangly into the kill box.
This continued for around an hour and a half with everyone getting their fair share of the action and tangles.
Ended up throwing back anything other than decent large mouth and red emporer. Other species caught were: red bass, mother-in-law, plenty of spangly's and chinamon.
Since we had plenty of fish for the crew (seeing there were only two blokes out of five who could fillet) we decided to head back into some shallower water, and more importantly give the arms a little rest.
After half an hour of sounding around, another new spot was to be investigated. As soon as the deck lights were lit, squid were surrounding the boat, over the side goes a squid jig. As soon as the live squid hit the bottom it was on. 2 decent reds, and numerous spangly's later, we made the call to head off home.
Ride was in was close enough to a glass-out, and topped off a great first trip for the year.
End result:

3 red emporer to 7kg
13 large mouth nannies
1 red throat
1 spangled emporerSorry for the crap mobile phone piccy, will try to get some more of the crew's camera's during the week.

jtpython
05-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Mate good on ya . Nothing beats a couple of big reds
Least the weather was good to you guys
JT

Wahoo
05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
great report Chopper, you come home with a good feed of fish, just about everyone i have spoken to did well over the last few days

Daz

skipalong
05-04-2009, 03:06 PM
good read and top catch some nice reds mate.

cheers justin

backlash08
05-04-2009, 04:30 PM
thanks for the report chop duster, a good read
cheers - Craig

jake0
05-04-2009, 07:24 PM
good fish CD, looks like a few good reports from the Cairns area, the fishing up here is great

ddobson
25-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey chop duster i am going up there from brisbane to cairns in the next month and was wondering which trip to take for off shore and estuary for my 41 st birthday from the hire boyz. I want to use plastics instead of bait so how do they go up there. Will it be good fishing up there next month as i was hoping for a jack, a barra, and some good reefy's with a trout thrown in. Cheers and good report.