PDA

View Full Version : leslie/coolmunda......hows it fishing..?

yellahunter
05-04-2009, 10:00 AM
hey guys a mate and I are looking to camp somewhere over easter,
was thinking of going to leslie or coolmunda..anyone know how its been fishing,

any info appreciated,

Cheers,

Ben

budgebass
05-04-2009, 02:10 PM
yellahunter

Had a great day yesterday. Scored all fish on bait - live shrimp and crays.

However tried a few lures around weedbeds which are looking very fishy. Lots of weedbeds as water level has been consistent, and look very fishy.
Perhaps without the tin lids may of been able to snare a few casting.

All up nearly 30 fish for the day, majority were undersize, mix of yellas and silvers though but took took a nice feed home. Most are under or just over legal size with a couple bigger models.

On the water about 8 and finished about 2.30 just before the rain.

Cheers
Budgebass

PS That was Leslie

yellahunter
06-04-2009, 07:47 AM
thanks mate,

wonder how busy it will be over easter..? probably very haha

does anyone know what the camping is like at coolmunda..?
can you have a fire etc there..?

cheers,

Ben

hkconc
06-04-2009, 07:08 PM
good one week, dead the next. We went out a few weeks back. A guy at the ramp had a 40lb cod, a 15lb, a10lb as wellas a few yellas. We went out and a 10 lb, 8lb as well as a few yellas. We went back again the next weekend, guess what, zilch.
Camping is allright, watch the ticks. Go over the creek below the spillway to the T intersection, turn left into a gate. Fires no worries. Also a camp are just after Texas turn off after Omannama on the highway. Also a caravan park at the wall.
Might be there myself. Watch the fishos as well.

yellahunter
06-04-2009, 09:39 PM
thanks heaps hkconc,
any tips on what lures to use..?
PM if you like

cheers,

Ben

hkconc
07-04-2009, 04:31 AM
I had good luck on a big green orrgy

hkconc
07-04-2009, 04:38 AM
attached are a few pics

yellahunter
07-04-2009, 07:31 AM
sounds good mate,
thats a nice cod there,

Might see you out there,

Ben

hkconc
07-04-2009, 06:11 PM
im not sure where we are going yet, The mckintyre around yalarbon is also is looking good. Got to get in early thou . Works quite (thank god) so I might go out on thursday and set up camp.

yellahunter
08-04-2009, 08:27 AM
sounds good,

hey the weather isnt that good here on the goldy.

whats the weather like out warwick\inglewood way at the minute and what do you expect for the weekend..? the weather forecasts ive seen predict rain but how accurate they are is another thing..

any ideas

Cheers,

Ben

hkconc
08-04-2009, 05:49 PM
rain? whots that. we have had around 13mm in the past 2 months. The dust only settleed last week. I had to go down to springbrook yesterday for a one day job. Havnt seen the ground so wet in my life. I have been up this way for nearly 30 years since moving from caboolture.
We get our rain from the west up here. Anything from the east carn`t get over the range.

Higgins Family
12-04-2009, 09:27 PM
We are heading out to Leslie tomorrow (Monday) for a week, avoided the Easter frenzy and took the week off work to spend some QT with misses and kids :) . Looks like we will encounter some rain tomorrow and Tuesday but not to worry, thanks for the heads up hkconc Ill be sure to set the pots for some fresh bait :) I have not had a good run the last few trips at Leslie and they tell me the fish are traffic shy... another reason why we skipped easter.
"Your face looks familiar hkconc ... I used to live in Pittsworth years ago", Nice cod BTW sounds like Coolamunda has been producing, it certainly was on the Australia Day weekend when we were last there.
Ill post back how we go next weekend.

Cheers Jeff.

yellahunter
13-04-2009, 01:19 PM
hey Jeff,
we fished leslie on sat morning,
got one yella on the troll in about 2 hours of fishing,
came in to eat and relax then it started to rain around lunchtime and kept going all night,
we decided to come home so not a real good trip,
speaking to a few of the others who braved the rain, looks like they were catching a couple of fish but all on live shrimp.

i have been to leslie 1/2 dozen times before,
needless to say i wont be going at easter again,
i would expect 10,000 people at somerset not leslie haha'
there was police there and security guards from time to time as well,
hardly bush camping ey

hkconc
13-04-2009, 02:52 PM
yer,just got back from yalarbon.5 yellas in 4 days. They let the dam water go over easter, just to satisfy a few cotton farmers downstream. Why couldnt they wait a few more days. Im sure the 1000 or so other campers along the border rivers also didnt catch much also. All I spoke to said it was quiet.

rossco
13-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Every year they let water go at easter time "environmental flow" they call it someone doesn't like people catching a few fish i think.
cheers rossco

hkconc
13-04-2009, 08:49 PM
yer rossco, its quite obvious they dont think of the 1000 odd campers, spending around $150 to $200 plus over easter,just for a few farmers that want their water. Im sure two days later wouldnt make or break them