PDA

View Full Version : Spiders

Grand_Marlin
05-04-2009, 08:39 AM
G'day Guys,

Just a heads up to keep your eyes open.

A number of boats I have worked on lately have had Redbacks in them.

The main place I have found them is up under the transom / side pockets ... usually right where you are reaching for the battery switch :o

Luckily they are seem to be very sensitive to bug sprays ... I have been using one called "Crawly Cruncher".
That seems to knock them over pretty quickly.

Cheers

Pete
(Valet Boat Services)

garman1
05-04-2009, 10:38 AM
One of our bosses at work got nipped by one when he was unloading gear off a pallet....redback was in the wooden pallet somewhere.....and after feeling the bite a bit later on, ended up in hospital. Knocked him around for a couple of days.

The guys out the back would catch them (off the pallets) put em into a large clear container and let em fight it out, good to watch but they had to get rid of the "spiderdome" due to OH&S rules......bugger

juju
05-04-2009, 11:15 AM
You will find redbacks in places that get a bit of sun , they like warm areas..so boats stored in the yard are a fav spot....point to watch out for is redbacks can shut down their breathing for upto 20 mins, so if you spray them and they curl up dont think thta has worked, squash them and you know they are dead!!...

Grand_Marlin
05-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks for that ... something I never knew.

I might add that I always do squash them ... just for my own peace of mind.

Apart from spiders, what else have people found hiding in boats?
I have only ever found basic things ... Spiders, frogs, lizards, ants.

Cheers

Pete

tigermullet
05-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Ya gotta be careful of redbacks. Knew a bloke who got bitten on a delicate part of the anatomy.

The medical staff were impressed and amused by the swelling - but he wasn't;D

sempre
05-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Just had my boat sprayed when the house got done , if you ask the pest control when they spray your house they normally do it for bugger all.

Mindi
05-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks for that ... something I never knew.

I might add that I always do squash them ... just for my own peace of mind.

Apart from spiders, what else have people found hiding in boats?
I have only ever found basic things ... Spiders, frogs, lizards, ants.

Cheers

Pete

green tree snake came out of the anchor well while i was on the water....deposited in a mangrove tree.

Reel Nauti
05-04-2009, 09:01 PM
That's one of my greatest fears, a bloody snake coming out from under the floor!

northernblue
05-04-2009, 09:41 PM
I got stung by a wasp a few months ago, bastards nesting up under the gunnel.
I was up at dawn the next day for my revenge.
Often find green tree frogs.

Krashtackle
05-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Just had my boat sprayed when the house got done , if you ask the pest control when they spray your house they normally do it for bugger all.

Great idea!! ;D

Blackened
06-04-2009, 06:33 AM
G'day

Good thread pete

To give everyone an idea, my record so far was 6 redbacks inside a 20' seametre cat and 5 green tree frogs inside a 530 haines.......

Bit of a fright when you're detailing, and wasps are the worst, as I'm pretty allergic to them.

Dave

juju
06-04-2009, 11:43 AM
When im doing an external spider treatment i always give any boat a look over and a hit, often find them in the outboard well, springs,winch..

oldboot
06-04-2009, 01:25 PM
I supose with all the rain they are looking for somewhere dry and warm.

Check up under the lip of your wheely bin too or any similar place like gunwals under the seats in the folds of you bimini, up in those hand grips on the outboard cowling up under the mud guards.

redbacks like to be under, especilay where there are upper and lower surfaces the can string their webs between

Over 20 years on the road as a field service technician I learned early carry a full tin of insect spray in the van.

Wasps and redbacks......those two will turn up in all sorts of places.

There are some places I have a spray first ask questions later polocy.

cheers

marty+jojo
06-04-2009, 02:59 PM
A mate of mine is an outboard mechanic. He was rewiring an old boat one day and found a dead cat all tangled up in the wiring. It was probably in there after some old bait and got caught up.
Marty.

Grand_Marlin
08-04-2009, 07:24 AM
A mate of mine is an outboard mechanic. He was rewiring an old boat one day and found a dead cat all tangled up in the wiring. It was probably in there after some old bait and got caught up.
Marty.

Eeeeewwww :-X

Maybe the cat was left over bait? ;D

Cheers

Pete

Mrs Ronnie H
08-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Hi Guys
Posted a thread a fair while ago-- Black SNAKE on board. Just thought he'd have rest crossing the river.

Me-- I thought I'd rest on the roof-- never touched the sides of the boat getting up there either. One single bound and thats where i stayed until a nice bloke disposed of it overboard.
Ronnie