PDA

View Full Version : A few days at 1770

ShaneC
04-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Hi all,

Have just arived back from a few days at 1770. Trip started a day earlier than planned due to the good forecast, and after getting my clears fixed for a leak, we hit the road just after lunch on Tuesday. Arrived no dramas at the house at Agnes (took a bit to find it but we prevailed), and after a feed, got the boat ready and off to bed ready for a reef trip on Wednesday.

Wednesday dawned with beautiful weather, very light breeze and bugger all swell so it was decided we would fish for reds east of Fitzroy. On the first drop of the trip Ads got a stonker trout, so there were some high hopes that we would be in with a show, but it wasn't to be. It became apparent that the boat is actually an iodine bream magnet. We got them in 70m of water, we got them in 50m and we got them in the shallows while fishing for trout. If there were any quality fish around, they didnt get a chance to get at a bait before the iodine bream. We did end up getting some nice fish though, and some monumental bust offs on a bait ball that was sitting deep in 60m. Between the bust offs and sharks we never did raise a big red, but the area was very fishy and we will certainly give it another crack. The weather was spot on though and we had a good trip home cruising at 32 knots.

Thursday beckoned as another cracking day, so we decided we would try Boult to see how we could go. We got a few trout and assorted reefies, then moved to a mark inside Fitzroywhere we got some more reefies, but unfortunately there wasnt a real lot of size about them. Ended up with a nice esky of fish, so there were no complaints. Thursday night was a pub night so we decided Friday would be a quieter one and sampled the Agnes nightlife.

Friday was welcomed with a sore head and fuzzy recollection of Thursday night, but we hardened up and fished Outer Rock on Friday morning, we managed a couple of keepers but nothing too spectacular, and by about lunchtime, the combination of a stiff breeze, sunshine and the need to eat got the better of us and we called it quits. Went for a drive into Middle Creek for a look as we hadn't been in there for about 15 yrs, then made our way to the pub to watch the Broncs continuously drop the ball on the first tackle.

It was decided Saturday morning to pull the pin a day early (my protests fell on deaf ears), so we cleaned the boat and gear, packed up and hit the road. We ended up with a nice heap of fillets each, and while we didnt get any huge fish, we did ok. The bloody iodine bream were joined by the remoras on the second day to drive us mad, but thems the brakes...... The real winner was the pub, I think their cashflow doubled in the time we were there!!!!! Was interesting to talk to a pro at the pub, he reckons the fishing has been slack since Hamish, maybe there is truth in that, I dunno....

Sorry guys no photos as some should have been at work and not fishing. But to be honest, apart from a couple of really nice fish, most of the photos are pretty boring.

Cheers,

Shane

fez
04-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Hi Shane,

Good to see that you got out up there at one stage it didn't look like it was going to happen.

Iodine Bream hey, hope you got them all before we head up there:P .

Cheers,
fez

soulfish
05-04-2009, 07:48 AM
shane we arrived up there tuesday lunch & went out,had a real good session around 2-4pm.The next day it was a bit slow untill 2-4pm ,then they came on hard again overall we had some real quality fish & some stonker trout.
the same bite happened on the same moon at the same time 4 weeks earlier.
Did you guys find this?

cheers jason

ShaneC
05-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Hi Jason,

We did get some good fish in the afternoon both days, but I don't think they were biting any harder than any other time of the day. Having said that, we pulled the pin on both days by about 3pm so we could get back and cleaned up in the daylight so there is every chance we probably missed the best bite peiod both days we went to the reef.... typical.

Next time I go I am going for at least 10 days so we can break up the trips a bit and have a better crack at them.

Cheers mate,

Shane

Sharkie
05-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Can i ask what you were using for bait?

Cheers
Paul

ShaneC
05-04-2009, 05:13 PM
A bit of everything mate, we took up a great mixture of baits. Squid, pillies, yakkas, ockys, and mullet. We also used some of the countless iodines and hussar for cut bait. Nothing really worked much better than anything else, and yes, iodine bream are carnivorous! Hope this helps

Sharkie
05-04-2009, 08:16 PM
A bit of everything mate, we took up a great mixture of baits. Squid, pillies, yakkas, ockys, and mullet. We also used some of the countless iodines and hussar for cut bait. Nothing really worked much better than anything else, and yes, iodine bream are carnivorous! Hope this helps

Yeah that's what we go up with as well. Can't hurt to try some fresh flesh baits off the fish that you pull out of the area like you said to (as long as we stick to size and bag limits ;D ). You didn't happen to try any Sp's at all did you? I've bought some small 60g knife jigs to try up there next time as well. See if i can interest some big trout on them. Last time the red rock cod dominated me and my soft plastics so hopefully that doesn't happen this time haha.

Cheers mate

Paul

iceknight
06-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Sounds like a fun trip.... how did thoese clears go??

ShaneC
06-04-2009, 06:09 AM
Clears were spot on mate, best hundy I have ever spent..... They well and truly got tested on the second day when it was a bit blowy heading out to the reef and passed with flying colours mate...

Fishbait
06-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Shane - sounds like an awesome trip. :D Pity about those Reds not playin the game again though. I think this week was a quiet week everywhere, who knows, next time it might be all on. Photos? What Photos? :o You supposed to be at work mate hey? Glad you had a ripper time. Cheers mate, Darren;)