PDA

View Full Version : First tinnie purchase

wow
04-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Looking to acquire my first tinnie and was hoping to get some suggestions. Aiming at something about 4.3 (familyx4) with perhaps 30/40 on the back. Hoping to make it a long term thing to cover plenty of fishing both salt (estuary) and fresh and hopefully some prawns.
Looking at spending about just over 9K. I couldn't make the T and T show as I'm currently working SW of Dirranbandi but usually reside on the Gold Coast.
Seen some nice examples however the quandry is new vs used? Indeed some used boats are fine but what should I be looking for e.g. engine wear and maintenance history?

Cheers WoW

Roughasguts
04-04-2009, 02:10 PM
If you got that much to spend how about looking at polly instead of ally.
It's a buyers market out there now.

frankgrimes
04-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Yep..def. agree with Roughas...recently went from ally->4.5 polycraft...fantastic boat.

Mick

foxx510
04-04-2009, 08:25 PM
What are you towing it with?

tenzing
04-04-2009, 08:50 PM
What are you towing it with?
Normally use the car. ( sorry mate someone had to do it - I'll stay out of it now)

tin can marlin
04-04-2009, 10:08 PM
I went to the tant show and there was a nice Horizon there which was a 415 open painted with a 30hp yamaha on duniber trailer canopy the works and only $9990 the salesman said it was only for the show but as rag said it is abuyers market they would still do them for that it look very well priced i forget who sold them but you could contact Horizion for details. Good luck

BaitThrower
04-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Make sure whatever you get that it has deep sides... Much safer for the younger ones (if they are young). I just recently got a second hand Sea Jay 4.3m deep sides... Had a 15hp on it :( but just got a second hand Yamaha 30 so hopefully that will push it along ok!

New vs second hand... I reckon you can get some great boats at present second hand as lots of people are looking to offload them for quick cash in the economic downturn... See what is available. Bear in mind that the majority of price in small boats is in the motor so if going second hand, make sure you get one with a fairly recent motor that has done low hours... You could save a couple grand easy over new, and that can go toward a nice sounder, GPS or other useful items that won't come standard with a new boat :)

Good luck!

CreelReaper
04-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Hey Wow,
There has been a number of posts here in the last few months mate. I would suggest you go back through the pages and have a look. There is a wealth of info there ready for the picking.
Either way, get yourself down to 2 or 3 options and get in have a gander and take each one for a test run to make sure you are happy with it....Good luck!!

Shane

wow
05-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Thankyou RasG's for your response. Yes I have checked out a few options and am swaying toward used. Poly looks a bit exxy.
Lost contact yesterday.............. on satellite connection out here plus big storm didn't help.
Like the deep sides idea B'Th'r and that's probably what I'll be swaying toward. Will be making some enquiries when I'm back on the coast over easter.
Will continue to trawl previous threads for info and thanks Creel Keeper for you in put.
Naturally Mr Rudd is assisting.

wow
05-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Did you get yours privately BaitThrower? My missus feels we may get stung with perhaps a less than well cared for motor and feels new accompanied with a warranty may be way to go?
What am I looking for with motor, what do I need to be aware of or would that be remedied with a test drive? Not if I don't know what to look for?
What are your thoughts?

Poodroo
05-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Although I had a couple of issues with my tinny, they were rectified by the manufacturer with the most professional and courteous manor which I think is almost as important as the boat quality itself. Very happy with my boat and I think I made the right decision. I got the Blue Fin 4.0 in the runabout configuration. If you are looking at that size definitely go for a 40 hp motor. I was originally looking at the 4.2 with a pod but for the sake of having a pod on the back meant having to spend another $4000. Still within my budget however I would have had to do with a 30 hp motor. I decided to go slightly smaller for the 4.0 and go maximum horsepower rating which was the 40 hp 2 stroke Mercury. There is little if any difference in the internal room within the boat itself and there have been times where I really appreciate the extra horses on the back. Not the best footage but here it is on the water.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Poodroo/th_Poodroo.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Poodroo/?action=view&current=Poodroo.flv)
I hope this helps with your decision making. Good luck.

Poodroo

wow
05-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Cheers Thanks and yes every little bit helps:)
I really like Blue Fin boats and was keen on the warrior however out of price range.

CreelReaper
05-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Wow,
I have to agree with Poodroo, the Bluefinn boats are a great range. I've got the 4.0m Outlaw tiller steer with a 30hp yammie on the back and whilst its not the driest tinnie I really can not fault it. Bluefinn do build a good quality boat.

Shane

LoungeLizard
05-04-2009, 09:30 AM
The good thing about going used is you get heaps of extras for next to nothing, and the most if the issues have been sorted out. Just get a reputable mechanic to check over the motor (maybe $100 or so) and check the boat thoroughly for cracks or corrosion and you'll be OK. A good service history is a major plus IMO - I'd rather take a motor that has done 300hrs and has been serviced regularly than one with 100hrs that you don't know anything about.

Brejen
05-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Wow,
Give Phil at Viper boats a call 0755936550. He'll be able to put into something in that range for prob less than your budget. I think he'll at the shed over Easter as he is quite busy at the moment.
He's at Burleigh Gardens and is currently building a couple of boats for members on here

Brett

wow
05-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Good on ya Brett, I'll give him a call and see what his story is? Cheers

Damned67
07-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Wow,
Listen to Brejen.
One on the boats Phil is building is mine ;D
Mine's a 4.2 with a 30hp.
Awesome boats, amazing price.

Aerocaster
29-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Hey Wow,
Did you find a boat? Keen to know what you decided upon. What did Viper boats have available in your price range?