PDA

View Full Version : New outlook on life for the Haines

foggy
04-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Have been wanting to revamp the old girl for a while now and yesterday I got the bug again. So this is stage one. Off with the old canopy and on with the new. The rocket launcher is the Bias whitewater with a mathing whitewater canopy. Notice now that the rod holders are aluminium instead of the plastic ones they used to come with. Over the next few months, the carpet will be replaced and the side pockets will be rebuilt to accomadate all the little odds and ends that don't have a home at present.

Only one downside to the upcoming work is that i think the floor is a bit soft under the passenger seat. The floor flexes about 10-15mm when leaning backwards and forwards on the seat. The drivers side is solid as a rock and the rest of the floor seems OK as well. Any thoughts on how big a job and how difficult it will be to fix would be appreciated. I will update photos as the process goes along.

Before

foggy
04-04-2009, 12:56 PM
new canopy

TimD
04-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Nice work Foggy :thumbsup:

The new canopy looks much better and will allow you to stand while under way

cheers tim :)

marty+jojo
04-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Looks good mate. Where are all your big snapper reports???
Marty.

Horse
04-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Looks good Graham

Have you been wetting a line recently?

Patching areas of the floor is possible and not too hard but when you start pulling pieces up the job often gets a lot bigger as you find more areas that are suspect

Cheers

Neil

siegfried
04-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Careful bud, I started by replacing a broken windscreen a month ago...developed into new hardtop,screen clears ,panitjob ,carpets, etc etc gunna look horn but cost bulk ..wife pretty happy about it too:P

tin can marlin
04-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Looks the goods well done it is a credit to you.

foggy
05-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Tim D,

Standing while underway is the big advantage. Also going to get clears made up soon.

Marty,
Been doing a fair bit chasing jacks off the kayak with great success. Snapper, u want to see snappper. I will try and get out this week to see if I can find a few bigguns for you.

Horse,

Is that u putting your hand up to help? ;D I have no idea when it comes to fibreglass.:P

siegfried,

I will probably end up the same, but it will all be worth it in the end.

Tin can,

Thanks mate. Pretty happy with the result as it only cost $450 and about 4 hours to do.

Foggy

dnej
05-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Foggy, was it difficult to fit
David

foggy
05-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Foggy, was it difficult to fit
David

No. It was fairly straight forward. It came with straps to hold it from the front, but I changed it to make it look a bit better. I replaced the straps with bars that were removed from the bimini section(two legs on the bimini are replaced by the rocket launcher attachment). A few extra fittings on top of what came in the box was all that was needed.

If I was to do it again, I could probably fit it in 1-2 hrs.

Foggy

Duckfish
05-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi Foggy,
I have a Haines 565L with soft floors underneath the pilot and passenger seats. I put 1/4" x 20" x 20" stainless plates under the seats, anchored down with nearly 1/4" toggle bolts and it seems to have done the job as it has lasted 2 seasons. I know that one day I'll have to rip the floor out and get it redone but at least this will suffice for the time being. Hope this helps.
Duckfish

svranjic
05-04-2009, 10:53 PM
I literally completed the exact work you have done on your boat to mine just last night. Put same whitewater bimini on and matching rocket launcher.

But I never got the Aluminium rod holders!!!!!!!! :'( >:(

The bimini and rocket launcher are value for money I reckon I dropped into a trimmer who quoted me $620 for a bimini to see what materials would be used. Took two glances and decided then and there I would spend half the money and get the Whitewater gear....... Wasnt worth the $620 at all.

Your boat looks awesome by the way! Wish I could afford such luxury :)

dnej
06-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Foggy. do you know the Bias reference number on the rocket launcher.
David

ozscott
07-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Mate your L looks very sweet. I have seen a few on the water and they have classic beautiful lines. Canopy look great. Im just about to get the Vag's canopy done...going black this time to match the outside trim. My carpet is still dark blue on the inside but from the inside the black should still suit ok - all the instruments and wheel are jet black at least! As for the clears I spoke to a very good trimmer the other day who told me that she can sell me the super expensive stuff that they use to trim such rear windows as the MX5 Mazda...but it will still fade with UV and still needs the same maintenance as the cheaper stuff (much much much cheaper stuff) and when new there is only a relatively slight difference in clarity. She reckoned go with the cheap stuff and replace every few years depending on wear and how critical it is to see through...she gave me care tips but still reckons if I use the boat a lot 3 years for clears.

Cheers

foggy
07-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Foggy. do you know the Bias reference number on the rocket launcher.
David

The ref no is 72005. This part number still includes the old stock with the plastic rod holders. If u want the ally ones, make sure u specify that to them. There was a sticker on the front of the box that said that the new ally rod holders were included.

Foggy

foggy
07-04-2009, 12:55 PM
The ref no is 72005. This part number still includes the old stock with the plastic rod holders. If u want the ally ones, make sure u specify that to them. There was a sticker on the front of the box that said that the new ally rod holders were included.

Foggy

dnej,

72005 is the withworths code sorry

heres the link to bias

http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-62-rocket-launcher-whitewater-oceansouth.aspx

Foggy

dnej
07-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Foggy, so does one set of the legs on the original bimini set up get separated, and the rocket alunchers replace these.
Are the launchers in different widths as well?
David

dnej
10-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Foggy, did you see my question?
David

foggy
11-04-2009, 06:34 AM
Foggy, did you see my question?
David

Sorry mate. Missed it.

Yes. the rear legs of the canopy are replaced by the rocket launcher. The rocket launcher comes in one width. You just cut it to make it narrower if needed. There are cutting dimensions in the instructions to suit differnet width canopys.

Foggy

dnej
11-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey Foggy, do you know what size the walls of the 35mm tube are.
David

foggy
11-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Hey Foggy, do you know what size the walls of the 35mm tube are.
David

No sorry mate.

Foggy

Scalem
12-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Hi Foggy

The choice to modify your bimini will make your trips so much better mate, that old method of unzipping the canopy is the pits if you want to stand up in rough conditions. You won't know yourself now! Bit of creativity and you can be proud of your work. Well done M8!

Scalem