PDA

View Full Version : Moisture issues

Lucky_Phill
03-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Hi Guys,

I need some advice or opinions on a little problem.

In the Targa Top of the boat I have a console that houses VHF, 27meg and am/fm cd player. These are fixed to a front panel that is removable. The console is therefore enclosed.

I seem to get moisture inside the console. I believe it is condensation as the whole thing is alloy. Very hard to impossible to get seaspray in there. I am toying with the idea of placing vents on the under side and have the ' flukes ' facing to stern.

Is there a product I can place inside the console to either eliminate or soak up any condensation that is attracted. ?????

I thought about lining it with a marine carpet as well.....

all and any info appreciated.

Cheers Phill

frankgrimes
03-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Hey Phil - Silca Gel will absorb moisture, as does calcium chloride - There are products such as "absorb Poles" (http://www.absorbopak.com/index.html) which are not specifically designed for your intended use, but something along these lines may assist your issue.

Mick.

Chris Ryan
03-04-2009, 08:19 AM
what about those moisture absobant things for the wardrobe. Closet camel used to be a brand, they have a tub of something that absorbs water from the air and traps it into its own container.

The other thing might be to get a DC fan (12v) like used in computers and install that so it can circulate air around whilst underway?

Just come quick ideas.
Chris

gofishin
03-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Phill,
Is the boat left outside? I think you will find that it is condensation forming overnight on the underside of the ally targa (within the console) . Carpet would not prevent the formation of condensation, it would just mask it by hiding it within the carpet. You need to line the console internally (top definitly, sides maybe, bottom probably shouldn't need to) with an insulation material with a vapour barrier.

A perfect material would be a product called Softlon, comes in varying thicknesses with an integral plastic skin (vapour barrier) and is adhesive backed for easy of application. 3mm should be fine in your case (although thicker is available), and in white you wouldn't even notice it is there. I will dig up the supplier & PM you.
Brendon

Mindi
03-04-2009, 08:43 AM
surely the limitation of any silica gel or calcium chloride product is that once they reach saturation they need to be dried again...they wont just work continuously.

I like Phills own idea of improved ventilation with underside louvre vents ..that what I would do.

oldboot
03-04-2009, 10:40 AM
It occurs to me that the moisture will probaly be comming in as vapour while the boat is ashore.

The moisture absorbents such as silica gel have a very limited capacity and are designed for use in sealed containers... such as packed inside plastic bags containing electronics.....the intention isnt to absorb large volumes of moisture but to prevent sweating from moisture content in the air and from the materials in the bag.. In confined sealed spaces silicagel is capable of producing very low moisture content..... but will not absorb large volumes of water

And yes they need to be redried before re use.....if silica gell is left out in the open air ( rainy day an hour or so) for any significant time it will be useless till redried.......you can tell if you silicagel is dry because it will change colour.....(blue to pink or pink to blue.. cant remember which....if it has little or no colour it is well damp)

Adding vapor barriers to the inside of the comsole will do very little except stop the moisture condensing on the sides of the console.... it will still be condensing on the cold surfaces on and inside your equipment and switches.

Venitlation will most certainly be a part of the solution, but most people over estimate how much ventilation thay will achieve with a given hole.
Air does not flow without some force causing it to do so.... regardles of the size of the hole..... best bet is problay to open up a large portion of the stern facing side of the console.

Applying some sort of forced venting isnt a bad idea..... you also need to consider where you are getting your induction air from.....is this air comming from a moist location.

finding where the moisture is comming from is also a good start...is there a hole thru the deck to below fro the steering or electrics ( no matter how small)..seal it up.

The other solution is heat.
installing evn a relativly small light globe can supply enough heat to dry things out and cause some convection to allow your ventilation to work.

The parking lot ticket printers I used to work ( sheet metal box) on stood out in the wind, rain whatever 24/7/365......a 60watt light bulb in the base kept the paper tickets fresh and crisp. Fault.. tickets not cutting properly/ ticket jams.....bulb out, tickets damp.... replace bulb replace with fresh tickets all good.

We often have to set up sound equipment in exposed locations often on grass, if we have to leave the equipment covered by tarps, even inside tents or hockers we put a desk lamp ( 40 watt) under the tarp with the gear......it keeps everything dry.

Look at it this way phill.........what would you do to make paint dry in there;D .

It is a considered fact that most moisture damage is done while the boat is sitting at home... even if the boat is under cover.....sticking a fan in the boat overnight after you wash it isn't a bad idea, particularly if you have upholstery or carpet.

cheers

FNQCairns
03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Simple ventilation top and bottom will cure it, except for short term gross changes in temperature through dew point but it will be transitory, nothing like what it sounds like now.

cheers fnq

murf
03-04-2009, 11:27 AM
don't for one minute believe that there is no salt getting in there, salt air gets into everything

salt attracts moisture and keeps it there

ventilation is needed

even if its a drop down door/ or those screw on lid inspection ports (212mm) on the bottom that can be secured when at sea and left open when boat stored

cheers Murf

snelly1971
03-04-2009, 11:53 AM
I had a 240 shore plug wired in and mounted a low voltage element heater, when my boat is at home or in the marina , I just leave the heater on, which also has a thermostat. keeps the ,mould/ and moisture away.

Mick

Chimo
03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi Mick

Would the heater be like the units they hang in cars in the US and Can to stop the insides from freezing? A candle will do the same but there is the fire thing!

Cheers
Chimo

PS the pics etc are still in the mail?

dfox
03-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Phil- just do what murf suggested and put a small spin out under the radio.
That way it easy to air the compartment and should the radio fail due to a lose connection on either the power, fuse or aerial which are all on the back of the radio, you can easily get at it without unscrewing the entire panel ... foxy

dogsbody
03-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Phill you could try a sock filled with rice. If it's good in a biccy barrel to keep you biccy's crisp as it absorbs moisture might just also work in there.

Dave

snelly1971
03-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi Mick

Would the heater be like the units they hang in cars in the US and Can to stop the insides from freezing? A candle will do the same but there is the fire thing!

Cheers
Chimo

PS the pics etc are still in the mail?

No Just a household wall mounted heater..

Mick

Mr__Bean
03-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Phill you could try a sock filled with rice. If it's good in a biccy barrel to keep you biccy's crisp as it absorbs moisture might just also work in there.

Dave

:-X :-X :-X

Socks in the biccy barrel?????

:-X :-X :-X

- Darren

oldboot
03-04-2009, 06:31 PM

Dave

Think about this for a while......you put rice in a salt shaker or other enclosed food container........think about how much you need for that to be effective..... now consider the console will be poorly sealed.

to be effective you would need a 20KG bag of rice.

Now should that rice actulay get wet it will expand to about 4 times its volume.....remember 1 cup of rice and two cups of water, zap zap zap in the microwave and you have enough cooked rice for the whole family........So poor old Lucky Phill could be up to his armpits in salty rice pudding.

If you are ging to do this one you would be wise to pack the seaweed sheets and wasabi.

cheers

Roughasguts
03-04-2009, 07:59 PM
I like the idea of the globe!
all you will need is a 12 volt / 5 watt festoon in there somewhere thats easy to replace and view at a gance. Maybe a solar charger and your in buisness.

Lucky_Phill
04-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded so far.

murfs inspection hole / access sounds likely, possibly with the addition of a light.

Brendons, Softlon might come in handy on the cabin roof as a lining.

The vents are still on the cards.

I'll have another look around over the weekend and might post up some pics for better appreciation of what's doing...... ;D

phill

Lucky_Phill
06-04-2009, 03:56 PM
OK, here's a pic of the console.....

Phill :)

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/ReBait-dash-1.jpg

oldboot
06-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Oh up there.....I was expecting a centre console.

If you have moisture up there... have you checked for leaks?

Still like to see some ventilation.

cheers