PDA

View Full Version : Nite Time Winter Barra Fishing?

BR65
02-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Is it feasible? Cold temps will slow them down, but will a moon trigger see some action?

Steve B
02-04-2009, 09:13 PM
You will have to have a go to find out Brian;)...I am not telling.

BR65
02-04-2009, 09:15 PM
good enough for me!

Steve B
02-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Just one goat........:P

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
03-04-2009, 01:28 AM
If you have stability in temperature, among other things, yea, a midnight winter session can put fish on deck. (salt or fresh) Cool winds often kick in after midnight, and prior to dawn, so there is a window of opportunity in the dark. Weather variances, or a moon position can be an activator.
Johnny

Whitto
03-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Just one goat........:P

He He He.....I love it::)

robersl
03-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Well Brian Steve is the one to ask about moons lol but in winter it might get goosebumps

shane

NAGG
03-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Let us know how you go Brian :P

Chris

DEANO68
03-04-2009, 07:50 AM
mmmm, think rather fish in the sun all day, fire by nite...:beer:

NAGG
03-04-2009, 08:00 AM
mmmm, think rather fish in the sun all day, fire by nite...:beer:

I like your way of thinking Deano ...... much more logical

In fact .... I'm already formulating my winter game plan - Lake Gregory bass (AM) & Mondy barra (PM) 8-) best of both worlds! ........ Oh & Fire/ grog nite sessions

Chris

Steve B
03-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Well Brian Steve is the one to ask about moons lol but in winter it might get goosebumps

shane

Might be a bit cold in the middle of winter for the moon to come out Shane;)!!!

Last winter we had a good session fishing a moonrise at about 9pm one night some on surface, mostly shallow....stiffies in the moonlight (please leave that one alone:P;)!!!!!)...we had some warmish stable weather prior during the day. It was also on a peak feeding day according to the almanac...which, I beleive works....thats all that matters too me;)

cheers steve

NAGG
03-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Might be a bit cold in the middle of winter for the moon to come out Shane;)!!!

Last winter we had a good session fishing a moonrise at about 9pm one night some on surface, mostly shallow....stiffies in the moonlight (please leave that one alone:P;)!!!!!)...we had some warmish stable weather prior during the day. It was also on a peak feeding day according to the almanac...which, I beleive works....thats all that matters too me;)

cheers steve

Keep well away from mooned stiffies :smash:
Hey Steve ....... I could imagine some good night sessions prior to the real blast of winter that you get in July/Aug ....... Those windless days > very pleasant

Chris

Steve B
03-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Chris, one of my goals this year is to land a fish on that one you painted up for me!! looking forward to that....

Steve

NAGG
03-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Chris, one of my goals this year is to land a fish on that one you painted up for me!! looking forward to that....

Steve

It would want to be a fast barra ...... that stiffy is built for speed :P I hope you do - hopefully we can have a fish together over the next few months

chris

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
03-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Steve B, if it was winter, night time, and blowing 47 knots from the south west, raining, and the almanc said it was a good time to fish, do you reckon you would do well??
Johnny

vet
03-04-2009, 09:35 PM
The simple answer to your question brian is yes, but the proviso is that the weather must be warm and stable during the day otherwise it doesn't matter what time of day or what the moon is doing, you will struggle to catch fish. So as Johnny is saying the weather has to be in your favour in winter, and if good weather coincides with the full moon than you should have a great session.

cheers scott.

Steve B
03-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Steve B, if it was winter, night time, and blowing 47 knots from the south west, raining, and the almanc said it was a good time to fish, do you reckon you would do well??
Johnny

Of course Johhny, the almanac never lies!!!!;);D You caught fish in the worst part of last winter (when you filmed the DVD...pretty much the worst time in the year)...

Seriously....not sure. the situation you described.....I wouldnt be there to find out. not that keen to tell the truth.....but the time we did catch fish the conditions were much more favourable.....I just beleive myself that moon phases do play a part in impoundment fishing......along with so many other factors.

Cheers steve

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
04-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Your response Steve highlights a few good points. Thanks.

Of course Johhny, the almanac never lies!!!! The almanac and any of those bibles do not take into consideration weather conditions at the time. Windows of opportunity arise when nature says so, not when a book says it will, but you are right, I doubt I would be at the lake trying, in the conditions described. We'd be at the pub beside the vertical heater, like last July, with Mr Fox.

I just beleive myself that moon phases do play a part in impoundment fishing......along with so many other factors. Yea, you are spot on, but yell out when a prediction type book, or a spinning wheel type thingy is released that incorporates all factors as one and can forsee the future and predict the weather and seasons. Those almancaca books make good wedges under table legs.

You caught fish in the worst part of last winter (when you filmed the DVD...pretty much the worst time in the year)... yes, an ugly time of the year, but as the DVD describes, those fish bit during the best parts of the worst bits, not the worst parts of the worst bits. A big difference. The fish used the best windows to feed.
As Scott Mc says, the weather is the base driving tool of the fisheries, and the variables and triggers can help or hinder you at the time.
Cheers,
Johnny
**Good rain here today. Any at Gin Gin?

Steve B
04-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Johny,

No mate not a drop of rain.

As for the almanac....I guess you realised the 'never lies;) ' bit as a tounge in cheek!!
I do look at it (with everything else of course) mainly use the moon above / below as a 'peak' feeding time IMO....it has worked for me too many times to ignore....now is the moon at these above/below, even rise and set times affecting the weather just slightly to the liking of the fish??? I do notice breeze changes that correspond with tides changes, often resulting in fish activity...this theory eventuated from back when I mainly fished for bass.......just a few little things I think about, that have worked.

As you said, all this has limited value if the general weather, water quality, temps, pressure etc etc are not playing the game in some way....I did notice the times you caught fish in the DVD, it looked like a beautiful spring day......which we all know was about 1% of that time you spent here!!

Looking forward to perching in the gin gin in 47knt SW winds again sometime soon....are you coming back this way at any stage???

Cheers Steve

BR65
04-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Good stuff fellas!