PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible. Please read.

big one
02-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Please read and comment.

I had put my crab pots up a creek on the inside of Fraser Island, and when I came back to pick them up, I discovered that 3 of my pots where up the right way and one was up side down. ( had to go and walk for them as there was not enough water to retrieve them by boat) The 3 that were up the right way had no crabs, and the bait and bait holders were missing. I use gutter guard for the bait holder and I cable tie them to the bottom. The cable ties used to hold them to the bottom were still intact(not cut or broken), but the bait holder was completely gone on the 3 pots. The 3 pots were not damaged in any way. The fourth pot which was upside down, had a large female crab in it, which I released. But the pot had a small hole in the bottom which was facing up, and the bait and bait holder was missing also. This had me thinking for awhile, and the conclusion that I came up with is this. Tell me if I am stupid, or if this sounds far fetched, but as I was walking back to my boat(knee deep water) I noticed a dingo was watching me on the banks. Now during the night my pots would have been out of water. So I believe that , maybe, possibly, that dingo watching me was the culprit that stole my bait holders out of my pots. I inspected my pots, and it is possible that the dingo could put his head through the entry of the pot. Also I presume he/she did not want to put there head into the pot with the crab in it, so tipped it over, chewed through the pot to access the bait. Does that sound far fetched? Apparently they are smart enough to work out how to open eskies on Fraser, so I believe that they are capable of doing this.
What do you think!

murf
02-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Okay I am hooked, so reel me in

sounds possible, and total feasible

cheers Murf

SgBFish
02-04-2009, 09:06 PM
were there any two legged dingos nearby watching as well?
They may have rolled them over cut a hole and tipped the crabs out into a bucket. Then ripped the bait holders out for the bait.

Lucky_Phill
02-04-2009, 09:15 PM
IMO, no chance.

Sorry, I just can't see a dingo doing it. 8-)

Then again, I have been wrong before.

The simple answer is to LOOK real hard at the area of mesh / rope / material and observe any " fraying "... knife cuts are clean..... teeth ' rip ' and there would be rough spots up and down the area where the holes are.

Phill
].

big one
02-04-2009, 09:15 PM
It was pretty windy for most boaties to be out. Also the only way to access the pots is at high tide in a boat, unless you are willing to walk for them, and know that they are there, but you still need to have a boat to get to the mouth of the creek. I wouldn't think that anyone would be desperate enough to walk a 100m through muddy water at night to check 4 pots . I put the pots in late afternoon, so the next high tide was in the morning, but I got there before the top of the tide, which I had to walk in to get. The one pot that had a hole in it was small, just big enough to fit a tennis ball through it. Also the cable ties holding the bait holders in were not damaged.

Chong
02-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Mate,
could be on the right track a lot of pro's have problems on the main land with pigs and foxes:rifle:
or you got to close to a pro's area and he's giving you a warning, left your gear but you can keep the jennies out of his pots...::)
Cheers

ifishcq1
02-04-2009, 10:00 PM
The dingo did it, poor bloody dingo
he must get around a bit because he apparently stole a snokel then kidnapped Harold Holt, went to Ayres Rock took Azaria and then out of nowhere he got Peter Falconio and various other offences
maybe theres a patern emerging
as with the goat joke, one lousy crabpot or four and the dingo did ithttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Cheers
SL

only joking
dogs in general do this sort of stuff regularly

Mr__Bean
02-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Lucky you didn't get fined for leaving food out!!

- Darren

sharkymark2
02-04-2009, 10:15 PM
yes lets bash the dingo :) or is it still april 1st ;)

oldboot
02-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Entirely likley in my view..... dingoes are very smart and have very good sense of smell.

The crab pot would be no more complex that some of the food loaded stimulation toys they give animals in zoos.

Any body got a cattle dog and recon a crab pot would represent an sort of challenge?

cheers

Angla
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
I have fished Fraser and had the dingoes beat us at getting our bait every night. Very cunning and have no fear of us and our crab pot rules. I am one who would say it is totally plausible. They can also walk over cattle grids to get around dongo proof fences. All jokes aside.

Chris

GBC
03-04-2009, 05:15 AM
You got it in one.

There's a dog at Coongul who makes easy feeds from checking pots before raiding camp sites each evening. Very clever boy.
They've been doing it as long as I can remember - best to walk them in a low tide to find a place that doesn't dry.

robersl
03-04-2009, 06:44 AM
Well I have a mate who has a property at Maarom on the inside of fraser and there are 4 or 5 pro's who work out of there and his pots get constantly checked and moved by the pro's , they do at least 2 runs a day and i have been there at 11pm at night when they have launched to check pots in my opion they are more likely to be your dingo's as they do not like pots in there area

shane

TheRealAndy
03-04-2009, 06:45 AM
BTW. You pots should never be out of the water. It is illegal to do so.

big one
03-04-2009, 08:08 AM
BTW. You pots should never be out of the water. It is illegal to do so.
I didn't realise this. I only do this when the pots are out of water during the night, so any crabs in them don't die. That is why I had to walk to get them. I have never had a problem with pro's before, but I spose if they are that desperate, then they can have them.

Blackened
03-04-2009, 08:39 AM
G'day

Totally plausable.... but have you ruled out water rats?

Dave

big one
03-04-2009, 09:32 AM
G'day

Totally plausable.... but have you ruled out water rats?

Dave
No, I have never seen any in the area. Also it doesn't explain the pot upside down with a crab in it and a hole chewed through it to get to the bait. Unless they are big rats capable of turning over a crab pot.

It seems half believe that this is possible, and the other half believe it is bullsh!t.

Has anyone else got any ideas?

Blackened
03-04-2009, 09:43 AM
G'day

Down here (brisbane) the rats get as big as the cats and yes, I think they're a viable option should they inhabit fraser (most likely they would)

Dave

choppa
03-04-2009, 09:44 AM
this is not only plausible,,,, but has been witnessed by yurs truly,,,

we hired a house boat a few years back up there,, spent a week touring around drinking/fishing as you do,,,,the owner of the house boat even warned us that dingoes have been actively raiding pots,,,,,

and low and behold we were at anchor in some little shetered quay and heard a small commotion coming from the bank,,,,, a dog had a pot and was ripping into bait,,,,, i've actually got it on the video cam somewhere,,,,,

choppa

oldboot
03-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Has anybody seen a cattle dog interact with an untied mud crab.......they arent stupid....they very quickly figure out what those claws are for and how to stay away from them.

The smarter breed s of dogs are very aware of a variety dangers ( not real flash about crocks and sharks), they are smart enough to duck just in time so they don't get kicked in the head by stock, they learn very quickly about electric fences, and the number of times I have seen dogs stop at the kerb and look both ways before crossing the road.

And OH yess they know what food is......how does a dog figure out how to steal only one sausage off the barby without getting burnt or sprung.
Any body ever wondered where that last sandwedge went and why bluey/ blacky/ spot is nowhere to be seen.

Why would anybody trying to sabotage your pots just take the bait out and why would they bother hacking the bottom out and such a small hole.

Nah mate........... dingo.......... guilty as charged........ but you have bucklies of making the charges stick............you are dealing with a career criminal, with excelent surveylance resources absolutely no guilt and an easy escape plan.

cheers

oldboot
03-04-2009, 10:06 AM
G'day

Down here (brisbane) the rats get as big as the cats and yes, I think they're a viable option should they inhabit fraser (most likely they would)

Dave

the reason they get so big down here is that we don't have any dongoes to keep em down;D ;D ;D

cheers

Donny Boy
03-04-2009, 10:48 AM
:helpa: " Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Help, Help !!! That Dingos' got my Mullet....!!! "

;D

PaulMark
03-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Please read and comment.

I had put my crab pots up a creek on the inside of Fraser Island, and when I came back to pick them up, I discovered that 3 of my pots where up the right way and one was up side down. ( had to go and walk for them as there was not enough water to retrieve them by boat) The 3 that were up the right way had no crabs, and the bait and bait holders were missing. I use gutter guard for the bait holder and I cable tie them to the bottom. The cable ties used to hold them to the bottom were still intact(not cut or broken), but the bait holder was completely gone on the 3 pots. The 3 pots were not damaged in any way. The fourth pot which was upside down, had a large female crab in it, which I released. But the pot had a small hole in the bottom which was facing up, and the bait and bait holder was missing also. This had me thinking for awhile, and the conclusion that I came up with is this. Tell me if I am stupid, or if this sounds far fetched, but as I was walking back to my boat(knee deep water) I noticed a dingo was watching me on the banks. Now during the night my pots would have been out of water. So I believe that , maybe, possibly, that dingo watching me was the culprit that stole my bait holders out of my pots. I inspected my pots, and it is possible that the dingo could put his head through the entry of the pot. Also I presume he/she did not want to put there head into the pot with the crab in it, so tipped it over, chewed through the pot to access the bait. Does that sound far fetched? Apparently they are smart enough to work out how to open eskies on Fraser, so I believe that they are capable of doing this.
What do you think!
Quite possible,one of the guys at work went out to pull his pots and one of them had a baby dingo (drowned) in it. So, I guess they are hungry and the netting wouldn't hold them up.
Paulo.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
03-04-2009, 03:25 PM
When I commercially crabbed, wild pigs did things very similar to what you described, in the dry seasons. On the odd occassion, a small one would get stuck inside and go to heaven when the tide came back in, so, yea, I reckon a cagey dog could do likewise.
Water rats were also a problem; good at stealing bait bags and chewing meshes in pots to get in and out, but they are not big enough to roll over a normal sized commercial crab pot.
JM

heath7162
03-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Went crabbing around christmas and was talking to a guy at the ramp who had just pulled a dead fox out of the funnel of one of his pots. Apparently the pot was dry at low tide and the fox got his head stuck in the funnel and drowned when the tide came in. He reckoned he got a big suprise when he was pulling the heavy pot up to find a dead fox in it.

LoungeLizard
03-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Well I have a mate who has a property at Maarom on the inside of fraser and there are 4 or 5 pro's who work out of there and his pots get constantly checked and moved by the pro's , they do at least 2 runs a day and i have been there at 11pm at night when they have launched to check pots in my opion they are more likely to be your dingo's as they do not like pots in there area

shane

Excuse the ignorance but who are these pro's and why do they interfere with other people's pots

ifishcq1
03-04-2009, 07:22 PM
LL

pros are professional fisherman/crabbers, just like us some are honest and some aren't
but most likely it was a dingo

cheers
SL

GBP1978
08-04-2009, 04:09 AM
Definently a dingo, watched one get all 8 of our pots last year in the same area and it even dragged 2 pots from the water which were only half covered at the time.Speaking to a pro afterwards was told the only way around them was big heavy wire only pots with tight and firm enterances

big one
09-04-2009, 12:15 PM
The cheeky buggers won't get anymore of my baits, I'll make sure they will have to scuba dive to get them next time.
Cheers.