PDA

View Full Version : Formosa Boats

brute898
01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Hi I am looking into a new boat and I really like what I see with the Formosa's. I have heard of the new tomahawk model in the formosa range of boats.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the Tomahawk centre cabin and the normal centre cabin.

Thanks Brock

STUIE63
01-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Send a pm to scottnq if he doesn't answer here . the tomahawk is a centre console I thought not a centre cab but there are other changes and he will know them
Stuie

STUIE63
01-04-2009, 03:01 PM
sorry that was Scott nthQld

hakuna
01-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Have a good look at them, just gone down the same path, they advertize self draining hull, ? make sure your happy with their construction method
I am going for a true self draining hull myself eithe goldstar or sea storm.

cheers

mull dog
01-04-2009, 03:20 PM
hi. saw them at the t&t show the other weekend. they have enclosed the stern where the battery set up is. the pod also looks a little longer than standard. it has a ally hard top off the rocket launcher. dont know if they have sharpened the bow or just made it look like it by angling up the spray deflecter thingys to the nose. they are alot more $$$ maybe 6 or 7k? looks good dont know and havent heard about ride though. cheers

Marlin_Mike
01-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Why not go to their capalaba factory an see if they'll show you them under construcion
Mike

brute898
01-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Hi I cant go to the factory becuase I live down in Victoria. There is only one dealer down here in Vic so I am going to have to go and have a browse around.

Thanks Brock

Scott nthQld
01-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Hope I answered some of your questions in that pm, but I will know more when I head up to Mission beach next week, going to check one out then.

hakuna, the Tomohawks are a true self draing deck, they are fully welded and therefore seald from the bilge, with scuppers for drainage.

Yes the Tomohawk range is more exxy than the standard, but using higher grade, thincker materials, alloy decks, and a few more features as standard than a normal formosa, well worth the extra dollars, as you'd more than likely be spending them anyway.

hakuna
02-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Scott,
The formosa tomahawk is NOT fully welded and is not a true self draining hull, I have been through this issue with the manufacturer, they spot weld the floor and seal with sikaflex type product, water can go under if the seal fails and then runs to the back where they place a safety bilge to remove water. Also a number of ribs, cabeling protrude the deck. Under the deck is filled with foam/ boyancy product, this is the only boyancy it relys on. The boat thus does not have positive flotation.
It is a play with words from the manufacturer.
I was buying one as I was impressed with the boat, without positive flotation and sealed pods under the floor will not save my life 40k off the coast.

cheers