PDA

View Full Version : evinrude motor

maverik
01-04-2009, 10:52 AM
hi guys i have an evinrude 9.9 i was wondering should there be a steady stream coming from the impeller... i have heard this is best .. but am unsure

disorderly
01-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Yes maverik...stream should start from the telltale within a few seconds of turning the motor on...assuming that the leg is in the water of course...and should be a steady and consistent flow...if its not the first thing to look at is a blockage in the telltale tube...push a bit of wire in there (ants and wasps like nesting in there)

If in doubt have a mechanic look at it...with age the impeller can deteriorate and needs replacing...if there is not enough water being pushed through the motor it can overheat and cause serious damage to the motor..

Scott

Noelm
01-04-2009, 12:44 PM
some small Motors have the thermostat in the tell tale flow, and as such it will start, drop off, then run full again, then drop off, but it is not on all Motors, the flow should be strong when it is running, not a dribbly hot sort of thing.

maverik
01-04-2009, 01:03 PM
yeah i started it yesterday for about 5 mins yesterday i only have muffs i might add but it wasnt a strong flow it was dribbling... could this be because of the muffs

Noelm
01-04-2009, 01:25 PM
could be, make sure the muffs seal pretty good, and there is plenty of water pressure, or take it to the water and give it a whirl

disorderly
01-04-2009, 01:27 PM
or just stick the leg in a garbage can full of water..

maverik
01-04-2009, 01:48 PM
yeah might do that guys thanks

BaitThrower
01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
What year model is it?
The Evinrude/Johnson 9.9 and 15hp Particularly the older ones (80s to early 90s) motors aren't known for a terribly strong telltale stream, partly because the telltale is linked into the system at a junction where the telltale stream flows before it reaches the around the powerhead etc.

You should get at least a steady flow (i.e. where you can't see individual drops of water etc) but at idle occassionally you can see them, but you need to look carefully. At throttle when underway in water the telltale should be consistent and have some pressure behind it.

(former Johnson 15hp owner)

maverik
01-04-2009, 02:10 PM
its a 96 mate it runs fine starts first time everytime just sometimes doesnt produce a steady flow

Coontakinta
01-04-2009, 02:42 PM
its a 96 mate it runs fine starts first time everytime just sometimes doesnt produce a steady flow

Could it be a corroded thermostat?