PDA

View Full Version : Best bait for cherabin in NT

ejackulate
31-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Hey blokes just wondering what bait works the best in opera house traps for catching Cherabin (Barra lollies).Goin to the Daly river this weekend and only got a few last time.

Cheers guys8-)

nickstock
31-03-2009, 12:07 PM
I like to use a mix of baits in different traps and see what is performing best. I use raw potatoe, raw hot sausage, plain soap and a piece of raw fish like catfish or barra scraps ect.

What did you use last time?

Nick

Nqfisho
31-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I have found potato works well but the best bait would be a tin of cat food or part of a tin of cat food wrapped in foil with holes poked in the foil to slowly release the scent. I normally go for the tins with pilchards, sardines or anchovies as they smell the most in the trap.

Karl

rooboy98
31-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I use homebrand dog biscuits soaked in a bit of tuna oil. Put the mix into small plastic containers and drill a few holes in them. Cable tie the bottom of the container to the inside your trap. You can also just use an old pair of stockings but a little plastic container with a decent lid on it is alot cleaner/quicker.

Cheers,
Roo.

wheezer
02-04-2009, 09:50 AM
dunno about the NT but when i'm up in the cape we try a bit of everything...boiled potato and orange was dynamite a few years ago, last year it was dry dog food. rockmelon has worked as well. we try not to put fish scraps or similair in as all it does is attract swamp dogs and bullies...

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
02-04-2009, 11:34 AM
What's a bullie, shark?

killitfillit
02-04-2009, 07:06 PM
cheese can work

snagking
02-04-2009, 07:38 PM
What's a bullie, shark?
Yeah, it's a bull shark, not someone who is going to steal your lunch money ;D

wheezer
02-04-2009, 07:55 PM
hi JM, yea a bull shark. they make their way into the freshwater reaches during the floods, then get stranded there, a bit like the barra i guess! this pic is from a trip in 06, fishing one of the bigger waterholes of the normanby river system in lakefield...my mate hooked this cracker of a barra, after a torrid tussle he thought he had it beat, until i looked over the side to see the water turning red...this ordinarily wouldn't have happened, except my mates had gutted a few fish in the area against my concernsjust before hooking this...oh well still got a decent shoulder fillet off it!

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
02-04-2009, 08:00 PM
I was thinkin' shark, but just had to clarify. It is suprising where they end up. They are nasty critters that breed. Half a barra is better than none I suppose.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Johnny

BobbyJ123
02-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Best bait for cherabin in NT

We used to get our cherabin on ox heart, or liver. That was along the Ord River and the Fitzroy River.
Cheers, Bobj.

wheezer
02-04-2009, 10:40 PM
thank goodness they're not part of the stocking program....

GAFYM
03-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Have tried just about all of the above but found the best to be old frozen blue pillies.

Cheers

ejackulate
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
thanks heaps guys will try a few different baits that u blokes have suggested.Will let u know how it goes
CHEERS

Mindi
15-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey this is a welcome thread.... I have just returned from 10 days on the Daly and really struggled to get cherabin. Used par cooked potato, cat food dry, whiskas from a tin... there were more pots than cherabin...serves me right for going in so late and it was a very early season (crossing open in April)
I have a suspicion that I let too much bait out and they dont have to come into the pot to feed....and I should use a container with just small holes..like maybe 10 x 2mm or so..?
What do people think..?

Mangrove Jock
18-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Baits we used in Derby (WA) were chicken pellets. Tried opera house nets and they werent that successful. I suggest a throw net and a couple of handfulls of pellets near the edge. A throw every 1/2 hour or so.

Blinky
03-10-2009, 12:42 AM
Home brand pilchards in aspic or non-perfumed soap are the best baits for Daly cherabin.

Travip
30-10-2012, 01:12 PM
855708556985568Chook pellets in a stocking mate works every time, My brother caught these nice size over in Fizroy crossing WA yesterday 85567