PDA

View Full Version : Barra from Brisbane

stevelcqld
29-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey

I live in Brisvegas and looking to go Barra chasing with my boat on a weekend.

Looking for suggestions of the closest "good" barra spots close to Brisbane.

New to barra so any advice along those lines would be good as well..

Cheers,

bowds13
29-03-2009, 10:55 AM
hey mate close to brisbane hmmm u might be in for abit of drive. theres asways the barra park up at bli bli u wont need ya boat but theres some big fish big fish in there. nuggstar is the man to talk to about the barra park. apart from that you are lookign abit a fair drive north of brisbane!

cheers

stevelcqld
29-03-2009, 11:16 AM
happy for a drive, just need it to be within say 3 hours or so.. if possible..
Thinking of a drive up Friday late afternoon and return Sunday night..

Cheers,

Rodman
29-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Mate you may try the Maroochy river
They have caught Barra there

Ken

slyman
29-03-2009, 02:20 PM
I understand you can target salty barra in the Susan and Mary Rivers, as well as the Sandy Straits, you might be pushed to make the trip to River Heads in 3 hrs though. Other than that, its a good 4hrs to Monduran for some impoundment barra.

NAGG
29-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I think the nearest Breeding population to Brissy is in the Mary River ...... so that for my way of thinking is the logical starting point .

Chris

cammo79
29-03-2009, 08:04 PM
burrum river system just past howard can be good, bit further than the mary but once youve fished this massive system you ll understand its worth the drive. The township of buxton is a good starting spot.

We have done it in day trips on more than one occasion but remember to always be safe and if you get tired after fishing in the sun all day have a sleep.

moggy1
29-03-2009, 08:41 PM
If people keep hitting the Mary pretty hard like i heard they have been i dont think it will stay a breeding population for long. I hope they are polite enough to catch & preserve the fish there.
Cheers Moggy

shayned
30-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Sorry mispost

robersl
30-03-2009, 07:00 PM
mondy is a 4.5 hr drive from caboolture good for a weekend getaway very good camp kitchen you only need to take utensils and plates ect has bbq,hot plate fridge but would recommend taking an esky

shane

nuggstar
31-03-2009, 01:23 AM
dont bother targting them till ya get north of hervey bay. the bli bli barra park would be the closest spot where you can get a few.

NAGG
31-03-2009, 06:51 AM
If people keep hitting the Mary pretty hard like i heard they have been i dont think it will stay a breeding population for long. I hope they are polite enough to catch & preserve the fish there.
Cheers Moggy

Worst still ........ I think that it is still fished commercially :(

Chris