PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Boof Frogs

rooboy98
28-03-2009, 07:58 PM
G'day,

I just bought a packet of Squidgy Boof Frogs that I want to try out tomorrow morning on some barra.

I was wondering if anyone has a photo showing how best to rig them ? (I have done a search but couldn't find one).

Cheers and thanks,
Roo.

russ81
28-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Are you talking about the soft plastic frogs mate

Russ

russ81
28-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Here are a few pics (sorry bout the quality) I hope this helps.

tailorboi99
28-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Just made this up in photoshop for you.

Tom

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/idontrofl/Booffrog.jpg

NAGG
28-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Once you have learnt how to rig them ..........Then throw em away:o ...... go & buy the Zoom horny toads or Ribbits ::) - they swim much better on the surface or subsurface & set off a better vibration 8-)

Chris

rooboy98
28-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the pics guys....thats exactly what I was after.

Nagg - I will keep an eye out for the other types of frogs (and toads!) that you suggested.

Will post a pic if they do any good tomorrow.

Cheers,
Roo.

wheezer
29-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Once you have learnt how to rig them ..........Then throw em away:o ...... go & buy the Zoom horny toads or Ribbits ::) - they swim much better on the surface or subsurface & set off a better vibration 8-)

Chris

LMFAO Chris! but so true...i was sorely disappointed after picking up a few packets..legs seem to have way to much meat to them, don't really do anything

i've been trying to get hold of as many different ones as i can, i don't mind the berkleys, the manns hardnose seem to swim well and the yums with paddle legs i think will be better after a boil and stretch but so far the zooms are doin' it for me...

BLOOEY
29-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Here ya go, not just for barra either. The paddle tailed ribbits as stated make a far better sound and froth.Ben

NAGG
29-03-2009, 05:53 PM
LMFAO Chris! but so true...i was sorely disappointed after picking up a few packets..legs seem to have way to much meat to them, don't really do anything

i've been trying to get hold of as many different ones as i can, i don't mind the berkleys, the manns hardnose seem to swim well and the yums with paddle legs i think will be better after a boil and stretch but so far the zooms are doin' it for me...

I wasn't trying to seem like a smart ass either ........ I bought 2 pkts ( after trying the horny toads) ...... They didn't swim right , did nothing & had to be blasted along the surface.
Andrew ..... If you can get hold of the ribbits , you'll be really impressed ( They do have big feet ..... but the bubble & wobble something fierce 8-) )

Chris

moggy1
29-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Guys different frogs for different situations. Boof frogs were designed for awoonga in mind. Because of the wind conditions up there you will need a loud action frog. But if the weather is calm and fish are a little spooky a quiter frog will be needed. Hence some frogs are not as active as others, not cause they are poorly made but made for specific conditions and poorly chosen to suit those conditions.Im not the guru on this and this advice has come straight from Jas himself.
Cheers Moggy

NAGG
30-03-2009, 06:26 AM
Guys different frogs for different situations. Boof frogs were designed for awoonga in mind. Because of the wind conditions up there you will need a loud action frog. But if the weather is calm and fish are a little spooky a quiter frog will be needed. Hence some frogs are not as active as others, not cause they are poorly made but made for specific conditions and poorly chosen to suit those conditions.Im not the guru on this and this advice has come straight from Jas himself.
Cheers Moggy

Hi Moggy

Designed for awoonga :-/ ........ & thats why other Awoonga locals use & prefer Horny toads & the ribbits.
Even as far as making a fuss across the surface ...... the ribbit beats to a better rhythm ;)
Additionally - The boofs don't swim well (turn upside down on retrieve) - many have said the same thing!

Chris

anthony72
30-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Chris

I fully agree, I spend most days at Awoonga and the boof frogs have been pretty ordinary even on typical SE windy days! I only use three different frogs -the zoom horny toad and the ribbets as well as cane toads. Although I did buy some boof frogs the other day purely for the new s factor tube holder, as soon as I got home i retired the boof frogs in packet and put the tube of factor into my tackle box!

I agree their actions cannot be compared

eureka
30-03-2009, 02:23 PM
can anyone tell me where you can get the stanley ribbits from here (gladstone) or mail order in aus or do you all get them sent over from the states
cheers matt

SeekingBarradise
30-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Matt check out Foxies before you order from overseas.

Foxies is at Gin Gin. He has a variety of frogs. Make sure you check out those Zoom's, Trixies and Ribbits then experiment for yourself mate and have fun.

Don't limit your thinking/experimenting to just one brand. Check em all out and make your own decision mate.

Notice which ones swim on the drop and which ones don't.
Notice which ones swim at all speeds and which ones don't.

Have fun mate.

Cheers Lyndon

moggy1
30-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Boys the big drama is the way you are rigging them. Think outside the box. Why do all frogs have to be rigged the same. Dwell on it for abit and i await a reply that has some thought in the issue and not a jump straight to a conclusion.

NAGG
30-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Boys the big drama is the way you are rigging them. Think outside the box. Why do all frogs have to be rigged the same. Dwell on it for abit and i await a reply that has some thought in the issue and not a jump straight to a conclusion.

Yes .... tried the standard ( backbone) jig head along with jungle hooks ......... but I thought they were designed to be fished weedless ::) ....... sounds like other squidgy products - that need to be boiled or tails clipped ;)

chris

darylive
30-03-2009, 08:07 PM

Perhaps you can post some pics on the rigging options

moggy1
30-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Will do, have to charge batteries in camera. No boiling required and not just squidgies are advantaged by boiling them. Try hooking through the front of the nose. Some times the shape of the weed bed can be a pain so, some times hooked 1/3 down the side will make it crab in the same direction as the contour of weed. Works the same as parallel casting to weed beds.
Ther is no right way or wrong way. But the way that works on any given day.
Cheers Moggy

nuggstar
31-03-2009, 01:35 AM
i cant get a sniff with the boofs. need to try these other ones for sure. been doing well with the walk the dogs retrived at hi speeds

nuggstar
31-03-2009, 01:36 AM
what size hook are ya using with the horny toads

PaulMark
03-04-2009, 05:21 PM
I have heard that boiling works,haven't tried it myself but now will probably go with the Zooms.
Paulo

NAGG
03-04-2009, 06:01 PM
I have heard that boiling works,haven't tried it myself but now will probably go with the Zooms.
Paulo

Boiling works for all plastics ..... softens them (breaks down the polymer chains) & improves the action ........... but they are also weaker

chris

PaulMark
03-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Boiling works for all plastics ..... softens them (breaks down the polymer chains) & improves the action ........... but they are also weaker

chris

Thinking outside the square I've just tried one in the microwave,bugger they get hot :odon't smell the best(not popular in certain quarters)::)but they do wiggle a bit more than previous. I best stick to boiling hey?8-)
Paulo

NAGG
03-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Thinking outside the square I've just tried one in the microwave,bugger they get hot :odon't smell the best(not popular in certain quarters)::)but they do wiggle a bit more than previous. I best stick to boiling hey?8-)
Paulo

BOIL ....... NOT NUKE ! Paulo! .....;D

Colo77
04-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Boys,

I have only swam a frog a couple of times (berkleys) so am no expert, but...stop & think about moggys last post on page 1, even better, experiment yourself. the way you rig any type of plastic will have a large bearing on it's action. i've seen pics of the same frog rigged umpteen different ways, all would have a varying action. As they say, horses for courses!

food for thought.