PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Bearings - Timken

ozscott
28-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi all. After nearly 7 years, plus what the owner before me had on it I decided to strip down the hubs before a long road trip. The bearings I have dont require pressing out. It is a small trailer hub with timken tapered complete bearings for the outside and inside of the hub. With the larger inside bearings its just a case of tapping out a steel plate that hold the bearing against the hub seat so that the outer bearing does not turn and out drops the whole tapered bearing. They are in excellent condition with virtually no burnishing and the stub axle is in very good condition as are the hub surfaces. The bearings turn well and are only JUST starting to get a tiny bit scratchy after being cleaned out with petrol...although before that I didnt really notice it. Its amazing what bearing buddies and pumping in grease after each trip back from the ramp can do...and my wheels are normally emersed into the drink well over the bearings.

They are both Timken Oz, and use cylinderical bearings on a tapered race. Apart from BSC etc (ie dedicated bearing sellers) does anyone know if I can pick these up at Sat open motor parts stores?

Cheers

ozscott
28-03-2009, 01:08 PM
The small bearing is Timken part no LM12749 and the larger one is obscured and then 8149 - possible 68149

ozscott
28-03-2009, 01:11 PM
This is from the Timken Interchange guide:

D0AA1201A FORD ..................... L68149
D0AA1202A FORD ..................... L68110
D0AA1215A FORD ....................... SET12
D0AA1216A FORD .................. LM12749

So does this mean I need Ford bearings from say Supercheap...providing they are Timken or another good brand?

russ81
28-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Hows it going mate

Your best bet is to go down to REPCO I had ford bearings and the only place that had them was the local repco store if you take your old ones with ya they will be able to hook you up

Russ

finga
28-03-2009, 01:39 PM
You'll find the hub surface needs to come out too.
Each bearing has two parts. The main bearing bit and the cup.
The cup is always pressed into the hub so it's hard to get out.
If the cup falls out then new hubs are generally required.
Any auto parts place should have the ford bearings as well as boat shops.
New seals are also needed every time the hubs come off IMO
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapered_roller_bearing

Spaniard_King
28-03-2009, 01:49 PM
If you havent gone to get em yet.. super cheap has em all ready made up in kit form..ie both bearings and a 2 peice seal.. cheaper than anywhere I have seen:-X

Roughasguts
28-03-2009, 02:14 PM
7 years ago I bought from super cheap new gal hubs studs/nuts and bearings all in a box and ready to install with just some grease pumped in, easy.

But before you buy the hubs check out the inside of the Gal hubs I found a few with the gal peeling away, not what you wan't mixing with grease and bearings.

I think there stil around $39.00 each.

FNQCairns
28-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Garry beat me to it, I almost fell over seeing Timkin packs there, I expected superworks bearings or similar:P

IMO pay attention to finga, he has nailed it.

cheers fnq

ozscott
28-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Can you believe it Supercheap has them - Timken Aust for $25 per wheel - inner, outer and seal.

Cheers and thanks

ozscott
28-03-2009, 02:49 PM
thanks very much fellas