PDA

View Full Version : Seafarer or Cruise craft or something else

whitebeach
28-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Got about 40-45K to spend on an offshore rig (and partially something to keep the wife dry). Like the Cruise craft 575 but is it big enough? I live in southern Tasmania and although I only have to go 10 k's out to get to the ledge it can get pretty gnarly down here, pretty quick. All mainland tinnie's are frowned on here except Stabicarafts and Barcrushers. Like the look of a Seafarer Victory and the Southwind 20 also. My wife like the Whittley Sea Legend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Chimo
28-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi whitebeach

There are quite a few options (but you know that) however if your wifes likely to be exposed to the weather and seas down there bigger and probably two motors is better if you can do it.

There are quite a few CCs and Seafarers out there second hand but to get bigger and IMHO 2 same sized motors; you may need to spend more.

Not exactly sure where your looking at doing your boating but I used to dive down there years ago and you certainly could find solitude easily, not what you really want when the one motor on the back gives up.

On the other hand something like this either with the existing power plus and auxillary or a new motor (and auxillary) may be an option for less $s http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6858877

Also noticed a secondhand Vagabond with 2 motors (but more $s) in SA but it has size in its favour as well.

Check if all the boats your considering have trim tabs as they are very worth while to get a better softer ride by keeping all the craft that your looking at level so the bow works even in cross winds and messy seas. Softer ride less bone shattering and less impact on the sports bra as well.;)

Where are you looking to operate?

Cheers
Chimo

tenzing
28-03-2009, 08:40 AM
I agree with everything that Chimo says.
We've got a victory which is great. You certainly dont want any smaller in any sort of decent seas. The trim tabs are a must ( but there is plenty written about them already.)
There seems to be quite a few victories on the market in about your price range but even a vagabond will give you a little more protection.
I am certainly biased, But I think the 575 may be too small for you and my PERSONAL feeling is that the seafarer is a better hull. ( that will open a can of worms)
It would be great if they made a larger version of the victory/ vagabond. The centre cabin in the 6.8 just seems a little narrow otherwise would be a fantastic boat but even 2nd hand about the 80k mark.
Good luck,
Brendan

Jabba_
28-03-2009, 08:50 AM
I agrea with both Chimo and Tenzing, the Victorys are a great ride and performing boat in most conditions... To get a better boat riding, you'll have to get a bigger boat....

tenzing
28-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Hey Whitebeach,
You see that you dont have to scratch too hard to get the seafarer owners to say something good about their boats.
There might be something in that!
Brendan

TimiBoy
28-03-2009, 09:38 AM
My 685 would be wonderful...

BUT I tested the Victory and the 625 and it's a better ride, so it probably out does the 575 by a good margin.

I loved the Victory, I'd buy one tomorrow if they made it larger, put in a good sized cabin, stove, fridge...

Cheers,

Tim

boatboy50
28-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Hey WB,

I would (and did) opt for the Victory over any of the hulls you mentioned.

The Victory has arguably the best ride of any 6 metre hull made today, the build quality is second to none (I used to work there many years ago and know exactly how they were built), resale is great, cabin will keep the wife and kids happy, and they are easily managable, even single handed.

My boat is unfortunately for sale, and could be suitable to your needs.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6903318

The Southwind is also a great boat, I owned one of them years ago. They are getting on in age now though.

Regards

Darren

tenzing
28-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Hey WB,

The Victory has arguably the best ride of any 6 metre hull made today, the build quality is second to none (I used to work there many years ago and know exactly how they were built), resale is great, cabin will keep the wife and kids happy, and they are easily managable, even single handed.

The Southwind is also a great boat, I owned one of them years ago. They are getting on in age now though.

Regards

Darren
Darren,
The ad looks great, Good luck.
Is that about 2002 ?
Brendan

PinHead
28-03-2009, 03:47 PM
just buy a Striper..but i am as biased as the seafarer owners

Chimo
28-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Which will retain its value better ?

Chimo

whitebeach
28-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi whitebeach

There are quite a few options (but you know that) however if your wifes likely to be exposed to the weather and seas down there bigger and probably two motors is better if you can do it.

There are quite a few CCs and Seafarers out there second hand but to get bigger and IMHO 2 same sized motors; you may need to spend more.

Not exactly sure where your looking at doing your boating but I used to dive down there years ago and you certainly could find solitude easily, not what you really want when the one motor on the back gives up.

On the other hand something like this either with the existing power plus and auxillary or a new motor (and auxillary) may be an option for less $s http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6858877

Also noticed a secondhand Vagabond with 2 motors (but more $s) in SA but it has size in its favour as well.

Check if all the boats your considering have trim tabs as they are very worth while to get a better softer ride by keeping all the craft that your looking at level so the bow works even in cross winds and messy seas. Softer ride less bone shattering and less impact on the sports bra as well.;)

Where are you looking to operate?

Cheers
Chimo

Thanks Chimo for the advice. We live down on the Tasman Peninsula, near Port Arthur and the great fishing grounds off of of Pirates Bay.
You're right about two motors, 80%of boats down here have at least a 15hp back up.

tenzing
28-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Which will retain its value better ?

Chimo
Do you mean Seafarer Vs Striper, or Seafarer Vs c/raft ? (or all 3?)

whitebeach
28-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Hey WB,

Regards

Darren

Hi Darren,

Thanks. What a beauty! What is the tow weight on your boat? And this may be a stupid question (not knowing much about Seafarers) but what happens when you get a 40 kilo tuna bleeding all over the deck. Are they self draining? DO you have a kill tank? Deck wash?

Chimo
28-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi WB

If you want to chase and bleed a pod of 40kg tuna in your boat maybe you need one of these instead http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/results.aspx?N=604&D=seafarer%20voyager&Nty=1&sid=1204E263721E&Ntk=BoatAll&Ntt=seafarer%20voyager

Cheers
Chimo

PS whats the budget again and what do you tow with and where are you going to fish again?

tenzing
28-03-2009, 04:38 PM
what happens when you get a 40 kilo tunableeding all over the deck. Are they self draining? DO you have a kill tank? Deck wash?[/QUOTE]
I wish I could give you an actual answer personally. I can tell you what happens when a 200g grinner bleeds on mine!

Chimo
28-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi Tenzing,

All 3 please and now you have to add the Voyager as WB wants to get blood and guts all thru the boat so he can then plunge into a greeny and have it self drain!

Cheers
Chimo

PinHead
28-03-2009, 04:56 PM
striper has self draining deck. kill tank and deck wash..LOL

Chimo
28-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi PH

What size is yours?

Chimo

PinHead
28-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi PH

What size is yours?

Chimo

mine is the baby..18 1/2'
they go up to 33'

finding_time
28-03-2009, 06:02 PM
... To get a better boat riding, you'll have to get a bigger boat....

Or a cat!!;) They even come with twin motors standard!;) ;D

ozscott
28-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Im another completely biased Seafarer (Vagabond - 1970s) owner...love it!

Cheers

whitebeach
28-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi WB

If you want to chase and bleed a pod of 40kg tuna in your boat maybe you need one of these instead http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/results.aspx?N=604&D=seafarer%20voyager&Nty=1&sid=1204E263721E&Ntk=BoatAll&Ntt=seafarer%20voyager

Cheers
Chimo

PS whats the budget again and what do you tow with and where are you going to fish again?

Budget is around $40k's. I have a Land Rover Freelander 2, 2000 tow rating. I live Nr Eaglehawk Neck, Tasman Peninsula. Heard of Pirates Bay. Several world Tuna records from here. Guys catching 40 kilo tuna last week between Tasman island and Hippoolyte rock.
ps
I've had a 40 kilo tuna in a 4.5 meter tinny, exciting!

Jabba_
28-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Or a cat!!;) They even come with twin motors standard!;) ;D

I wouldn't know, as I haven't been out in a cat yet,,,,, well a small one anyway..
When are you going to take me for a ride in yours Ian..;D

ozscott
28-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Mate - the Freelander 2 might struggle with the size glass boat you are looking at. I tow my Vagabond with my Land Rover Discovery V8 series II manual (3500kg tow capacity) and it tows well, but I wouldnt want anything smaller towing the Vag...and my old Vag is probably about the same weight of a new Victory.

Cheers

tenzing
28-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Hey whitebeach,
I think that the car might be a bit small for the job.
Victory hull about 1100kg. motor 200kg (just for one ) fuel200kg . water plus gear plus esky ice fish etc 200kg+, Trailer 700kg+.
I reckon you need to budget on at least 2500kg.
Whats the budget for a new 4wd??
Cheers Brendan

tenzing
28-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Hi Tenzing,

All 3 please and now you have to add the Voyager as WB wants to get blood and guts all thru the boat so he can then plunge into a greeny and have it self drain!

Cheers
Chimo
I dont know about the striper, but the seafarer is a good bet to hold its value better than the cruisy . The lindsay Fry boats are just better built. No Discussion Required.
On the Issue of the Voyager, Ithink that might be stretching the budget past its elastic limit but an excellent choice nontheless.
On the blood and guts issue. get a spare piece of boat carpet 2mx2m and pull it out and hose all the bits of 40 kg tuna off it with the Gurni and hang out to dry.
Brendan

Angla
29-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Cannot help but see the obvious here. Look into a 5.2 metre Kevla Cat. I have a 575 Outsider but unbiased I think this would tick all the boxes if you inject a little more $. Will probably be a little hard to find someone willing to give one up though. The weight should be about right for towing so account for not having to change the vehicle

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6672234

Something like this. I think you would find this very stable when returning in sloppy conditions to 35 knotts and 1 x 90 would still push it along pretty well

Chris

whitebeach
29-03-2009, 06:07 AM
Hey whitebeach,
I think that the car might be a bit small for the job.
Victory hull about 1100kg. motor 200kg (just for one ) fuel200kg . water plus gear plus esky ice fish etc 200kg+, Trailer 700kg+.
I reckon you need to budget on at least 2500kg.
Whats the budget for a new 4wd??
Cheers Brendan

Thanks Tenzing. The Freelander is only a year old so not about to change. It is also an awsome 4x. Are there more than one Victory? 6m or 5.5?

Chimo
29-03-2009, 07:11 AM
There are about 16 models in the Seafarer range. There is a 5.5 and a 5.75 a 5.9 a 6 a 6.2 and a 6.8. The 6 is the Victory, and here is the link to get you all the latest data http://www.seafarerboats.com/. The 5.9 could be another unit to look at too given where I now know you to be.

About a year ago Lindsay Fry sold the land at Mermaid Beach and sold the Co Seafarer to the Haines Group. If your buying second hand odds are that you would be talking one of the originals which are very well regarded and have very good resale value. Haines issue , dont know, but should be similar as Lindsay did go with the sale as tech advisor?

All sort of other issues for you think about too re motor and servicing and trailers esp brakes if your above 2000kg registered weight BMT eg IMHO the type of electric over hydraulic unit you have can give you problems or not depending on the breed.

Cheers
Chimo

whitebeach
29-03-2009, 07:22 AM
There are about 16 models in the Seafarer range. There is a 5.5 and a 5.75 a 5.9 a 6 a 6.2 and a 6.8. The 6 is the Victory, and here is the link to get you all the latest data http://www.seafarerboats.com/. The 5.9 could be another unit to look at too given where I now know you to be.

About a year ago Lindsay Fry sold the land at Mermaid Beach and sold the Co Seafarer to the Haines Group. If your buying second hand odds are that you would be talking one of the originals which are very well regarded and have very good resale value. Haines issue , dont know, but should be similar as Lindsay did go with the sale as tech advisor?

All sort of other issues for you think about too re motor and servicing and trailers esp brakes if your above 2000kg registered weight BMT eg IMHO the type of electric over hydraulic unit you have can give you problems or not depending on the breed.

Cheers
Chimo

Thanks, again.

Just seen a Carribean Intruder for sale, know anything about them?!

Chimo
29-03-2009, 07:50 AM
If its the NSW boat it more than likely would benefit from more horses and trim tabs. Never felt the finish to be in the same league as Seafarer or CruiseCraft and the resale reflects this. Mackay trailers are good a melb ex dairy farmer and family who grew as he deserved to. Isnt this boat sold?

If its the one on the Dunbier, the guys selling due to a bad back? Id look at a Vermont over it any time.
C

ozscott
29-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Mate - I reckon that you need to get your max COMFORTABLE tow weight sorted. Frankly, irrespective of engine, I wouldnt want to tow more than 12-1500kg regularly with a Freelander. The same as I wouldnt like to tow more than 2,000-2500kg regularly with my 2.2tonn Disco V8 (as I say with a tow capacity of 3,500kgs....I have a 95 Disco too - last of the non-abs- tow rated to 4000kg!!!....wouldnt be towing that though!)....after you get your happy tow weight sorted then you can see what boats fit into that category. There are some lighter build Haines Sigs for example but still with a nice ride. However if you want a canyon running size 6 - 6.5 metre in the heavier builds such as Seafarer for heavy sea conditions and a fair margin of safety in those waters that you crazy taswegians love then I really think you will be dissapointed in your choice of tow vehicle (Unless you are travelling 5ks or so but ramps are still going to be a drama when the boat weighs more than the vehicle).

Cheers

whitebeach
29-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Mate - I reckon that you need to get your max COMFORTABLE tow weight sorted. Frankly, irrespective of engine, I wouldnt want to tow more than 12-1500kg regularly with a Freelander. The same as I wouldnt like to tow more than 2,000-2500kg regularly with my 2.2tonn Disco V8 (as I say with a tow capacity of 3,500kgs....I have a 95 Disco too - last of the non-abs- tow rated to 4000kg!!!....wouldnt be towing that though!)....after you get your happy tow weight sorted then you can see what boats fit into that category. There are some lighter build Haines Sigs for example but still with a nice ride. However if you want a canyon running size 6 - 6.5 metre in the heavier builds such as Seafarer for heavy sea conditions and a fair margin of safety in those waters that you crazy taswegians love then I really think you will be dissapointed in your choice of tow vehicle (Unless you are travelling 5ks or so but ramps are still going to be a drama when the boat weighs more than the vehicle).

Cheers

Thanks Ozscott, don't want to screw up on the weight issue. I haven't towed anything close to 2000 with the Freelander2 so I am wary. The Seafarer 5.5 has these stats:

Centre-Line Length: 5.5m
Maximum Beam: 2.3m
Weight: 850KG Approx.
Dead-Rise: 19º
Maximum Power: 150HP
Max Engine Weight:195KG
Transom Height: 25”
Load Capacity: Six Adults
Length Overall on Trailer Including Engine: 6.85m
Overall Height on Trailer: 2.2m
Width On Trailer: 2.3mSo with fuel etc would be around 1500, does that sound right?

John

whitebeach
29-03-2009, 09:03 AM
If its the NSW boat it more than likely would benefit from more horses and trim tabs. Never felt the finish to be in the same league as Seafarer or CruiseCraft and the resale reflects this. Mackay trailers are good a melb ex dairy farmer and family who grew as he deserved to. Isnt this boat sold?

If its the one on the Dunbier, the guys selling due to a bad back? Id look at a Vermont over it any time.
C

No this is a local boat out of Hobart. I knew a guy in Tweed Heads that sweared by Carribeans but we swore by a lot of weird things,.

boatboy50
29-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Hey WB,

As mentioned, your towing issue is one you need to get sorted first.

If you can tow, id recommend you look for a Southwind SF20 such as this one

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=3007658

They are a great performing hull, have a moulded floor (easy to clean the blood), deck drains into the bilge where it gets pumped back out, a lot have a deckwash, and they have safe access to the bow to do the anchor with the opening front deck. You will generally pick up one on a trailer for high 20k with a reasonable motor. You could then repower with a new or later model engine. They still weigh around 2 tonne though, as do the Seafarer Victorys.

Most Victorys you find will have a carpeted floor. They are a great boat though and don't overlook them just becasue of that.

If you are more comfortable towing 1.5 tonne, i'd recommend a Seafarer Viking. Similar standards to the Victory, but smaller and better suited to hard core fishing for you. You can buy one in the low 20k range, and repower it if you need to, and still have change.

Regards

Darren

Chimo
29-03-2009, 09:33 AM
HI again WB

Have a read of this thread and associated threads refers to similar if not same boat etc you are now talking about http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=133639&highlight=seafarer+blackjenny

Cheers
Chimo

ozscott
29-03-2009, 09:48 AM
No worries John. Mate I would think that depending on what you add to her she could go a bit higher again in total weight. I dont know what fuel capacity is. It might be a 100kg or so heavier, but perhaps not. Can I suggest that you try to find a mate with a boat of 1.5 ATM (could be a mate with a large dingo and big trailer for eg) and take it for a spin...because there is nothing worse than having a load that you dont QUITE feel right towing if you know what I mean. But 5.5 m Seafarers have a great reputation from what I can tell.

Cheers

PS. Good on you for not changing vehicle. One day I will probably go to a D3 but reluctantly and only because of high miles on my D2 - I know the D3 TDV6 will probably be an even better tow rig for my Vag but I DONT CARE! Love my D2! Cheers mate.

whitebeach
29-03-2009, 11:15 AM
No worries John. Mate I would think that depending on what you add to her she could go a bit higher again in total weight. I dont know what fuel capacity is. It might be a 100kg or so heavier, but perhaps not. Can I suggest that you try to find a mate with a boat of 1.5 ATM (could be a mate with a large dingo and big trailer for eg) and take it for a spin...because there is nothing worse than having a load that you dont QUITE feel right towing if you know what I mean. But 5.5 m Seafarers have a great reputation from what I can tell.

Cheers

PS. Good on you for not changing vehicle. One day I will probably go to a D3 but reluctantly and only because of high miles on my D2 - I know the D3 TDV6 will probably be an even better tow rig for my Vag but I DONT CARE! Love my D2! Cheers mate.

Thanks Ozscott. Good idea, re towing. Reckon the Seafarer Victory should be okay.
I've driven the Disco 3 TDV6. Great car. Ford got it right with both the Freelander2 and disco3 not to mention the great Range Rover. The Freelander2 has sold over 10,000 in the UK and won most awards in its weight division including Top Gear's mid size. Don't hardly see any over here and had to go to Melbourne to buy mine!
What is with Japanese 4x4 and Australians?!

ozscott
29-03-2009, 01:23 PM
On know what you mean. I love LRs but the problem has been lack of many service centres. When Blue Ribbon motors was a dealer and service centre in Qld it was (really) memorable experience to buy a LR and get it serviced there. And my D2 has been a very reliable vehicle with 142,000k and so has my 95 with 280,000 odd ks, but alas they would not sign up for a multi-mil facility just for the D3 and so they opted out. Frankly the dealers that are left up here make me seriously question whether I would get a D3 down the track even though I much prefer them over any other new 4WD.

Cheers

tenzing
29-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks Ozscott, don't want to screw up on the weight issue. I haven't towed anything close to 2000 with the Freelander2 so I am wary. The Seafarer 5.5 has these stats:

Centre-Line Length: 5.5m
Maximum Beam: 2.3m
Weight: 850KG Approx.
Dead-Rise: 19º
Maximum Power: 150HP
Max Engine Weight:195KG
Transom Height: 25”
Load Capacity: Six Adults
Length Overall on Trailer Including Engine: 6.85m
Overall Height on Trailer: 2.2m
Width On Trailer: 2.3mSo with fuel etc would be around 1500, does that sound right?

John
John, I reckon that if the 850 kg is hull only, You must still be looking at 1800 to 1900 kg with fuel and gear.
Also 19 degrees v 21degrees on the vic?
Honestly the carpeted floor should not be an issue.
I still reckon start with the boat that suits YOUR needs BEST. Work out the other details after that.
Brendan

Ocean_Spirit
29-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Highly recommend the Seafarer you are looking at. The 5.5Mtr Viking is a great all-rounder with a 115 V4 fitted, and a very capable offshore boat. I have driven one with a 150 Evinrude DI and while it was a blast, the 115 is a perfect engine.

These boats need to sit on a dual-axle trailer as they inevitably fall over that 1.5tonne mark. I have seen them towed behind Freelander's. The new Freelander 2 is a much more capable vehicle than the one it replaces from what I have heard. I would be mindful of weight, but I wouldn't consider it a major issue with this size boat.

I have seen a couple of Victory's towed by Ford Territory's with the trailer sway bars fitted, and they towed fine. One of the guys was a Ford expert, and he said the car was equipped to tow the 2tonne and did it well. You will find most Victory's will weigh in around that 1.8 - 1.85 tonne mark. Personally, I think for anything close to the 2 tonne, as mentioned above, you are better off with a Patrol / Land Cruiser / Pajero / Discovery, Etc. with the 3 - 3.5tonne towing capacity.

Perhaps something to keep in mind for the next upgrade in 5 Yrs!

I have an article on our couple of Seafarer's here:
http://www.seafarerboats.com/content.aspx?PageID=56

Chimo
04-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Bump

So whats happened?

Cheers
Chimo

tenzing
04-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah, whats the update. We're dyin out here.

siegfried
04-04-2009, 08:53 PM
I think he wanted a soft riding hull so after test driving the sea fairy and the bruise craft he bought a haines;D

tenzing
04-04-2009, 09:05 PM
I think he wanted a soft riding hull so after test driving the sea fairy and the bruise craft he bought a haines;D
Good one! There seems to have been a distinct lack of fishing going on recently. This post is a bit like burleying up ?
Brendan

tin can marlin
04-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I must say i'am a big fan of the Allison product they have a full fibreglass floor you will find the others a re timbber with glass coating. The vision 195 or 21 is the pick of them and the finsh is out of this world i think cunninghams are selling them now but Kratzmanns are selling there old stock at cost worth a look at both dealers.

whitebeach
08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Sorry been busy! And NO I haven't found the perfect boat!! If there is such a beast.
Last week I looked at a 28 foot tri hull Hobson + 210 Cummings AND a 37 foot converted fishing boat with hot and cold shower and a 1948 volvo 35hp!
So you can see I am totally losing my mind....:o

jigsnreels
08-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Whitebeach, have a look at yr pm's

whitebeach
09-04-2009, 06:55 AM
There's nothing in my PM's. Did you send one?

jigsnreels
09-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Yeh, I did, just sent another too.
Cheers
Jigs

PinHead
10-04-2009, 07:54 AM
might be a bit over your budget but seems a reasonable buy at that price

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=3048690

but then again i am biased same as everyone else is.

Chimo
10-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Nice setup Greg, thinking of moving back up yourself?
Would be good if a Freelander could (legally) tow it.

Cheers
Chimo

PinHead
10-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Nice setup Greg, thinking of moving back up yourself?
Would be good if a Freelander could (legally) tow it.

Cheers
Chimo

No Pete..I have trouble finding time to use the little boat at the moment...maybe in a few years either the 23' or the 26'.

Donny Boy
10-04-2009, 10:30 AM
No Pete..I have trouble finding time to use the little boat at the moment...maybe in a few years either the 23' or the 26'.

I woulda thought you'd make time.

Then again, you're either at work or on here...............................;)

Thank god I'm out of Varsity ...................

PinHead
10-04-2009, 10:31 AM
I woulda thought you'd make time.

Then again, you're either at work or on here...............................;)

am still trying to get out of Varsity..and here is a good place to relax for a while instead of the drudgery of the damn paperwork (which I hate)

PinHead
10-04-2009, 10:38 AM
There are a couple of boats mentioned on this thread that I would be wary with taking offshore..their decks drain into the bilge then pumped out...I would hate to be in the situation where you lose power and cop some water in the back.

Donny Boy
10-04-2009, 04:38 PM
[quote=PinHead;999563]am still trying to get out of Varsity.. ??????

Mate, if you're there any longer............. one of the orderlies'll whip a nightshirt on you........... & away ya go........the feet won't touch the floor............Room 206...

Apparently, It's got a nice view of some Stonework....................so I'm told..;)

PinHead
10-04-2009, 07:27 PM
LOL..the stonework is rather impressive. If they stop changing things on us we might have a chance.

whitebeach
19-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Well, finally got a boat and no it isn't a Seafarer or a Cruise Craft a Haines or Savage. After searching high and low, testing a few boats. A Stessl 5.5, A Seafarer Ambassador, a Haines, a Whittley, a Mako, a couple of no name tinnies, couldn't find a Cruise Craft in Tasmania. I took Chimo's advice and drove 6 hours to Sisters Beach in North Tasmania to look at a 1998 Express Zephyr 4.8.

Got to Sisters beach at 3pm. Looked like a boat that had not been "prettied" up or sat around doing nothing. The seller knew about boats. He had bought the 1998 Express from the original owner in Queensland (5 years ago), went up there and towed it back with his old Commodore. The trailer had been rebuilt 5 years ago. New hubs 6 months ago. I checked the bilge area etc and looked good. It has a built in fuel tank (40 litres) which the two Expresses in Victoria didn't have. I liked that. 274 hours on the 70 Yammy. A garmin sounder and radio. Anyway, I really liked the look of her. Could tell by standing in her that it was a good little sea worthy boat. I told Steve (the owner) I was interested but would like to have a sea trial. He lived one block back from the beach and had to go up stairs to have a look at the Bass Straits. "Hum should be right", he said when he came back down. We towed her down to the boat ramp and there I saw what 'hum should be alright' was. A three meter swell sweeping across the Bass from the West (= from Argentina), nasty looking close together swells, 20 knot wind, probably a sea most people would avoid even in a 6 meter boat. We launched her and off we went. Couldn't have been a better test for the Express or the 70 Yammy. Conclusion: she's a peach. Rode near as good as a glass boat (but more fun, I used to surf in my youth!) The Express didn't batter an eyelid and I tried my hardest to make her trip up! We didn't even get that wet (we had left the canopy and clears off). I am glad she has a 70 on the back, because anything less I recon would have been under powered to get out of the troughs etc. Surprisingly the 4.8 was originally only rated up to 55hp. And the one test Chimo sent me from 1997 was done with a 50hp!

So, back at Steve's and after approx one minute haggling we agreed on the price he had asked for four days ago on the phone! 13.5K. Not bad as I was originally looking to buy a boat in the 40K range. But hey this boat can do everything I want, drop cray pots in 3 meter seas and troll for tuna 10 k's off shore. It feels safe and very stable for its size. The local hardcore southern Tassie fish boys reckon "she's a goer". It's yellow and don't remember seeing any other yellow boats and I live ON the beach so I know just about every boat around. The only thing I've done in the week I've had the boat is buy a new battery (old one is a good spare) and trade my old 9.9 Tahatsu for a lighter 8 hp Mariner ($600) for an aux.

So Chimo, I owe you big time. Without your advice I would never have found or even have heard of the brilliant Zephyr Express!

Photos to follow....
Thanks to everyone who posted wit their advice etc!:D:D