PDA

View Full Version : Riptide 740 Half Cab Build, Motors on & Fitting Out, Water Test This Weekend

skipalong
27-03-2009, 08:06 PM
hi guys

after many months of fishing in my boat, the time had come to renew and go a little bigger and stronger for the longer trips we now do. i put many months together of reserch to find the boat that would full fill my needs of some serious offshore fishing in SEQ.

it was decided to look for a new boat after the fraser island fishing expo last year, so the previous months we looked at many boat including fibreglass, but as we had experience with alloy already over the last 2 boats, we decided to go plate alloy once again, now with not many choices of quality alloy boats out there it was a tough decision.

we had first had a centre consol and the current boat a centre cab, we opted to go for a half cab as the new boat was to keep us dry and hold a set of sleeping quarters up front for those extended trips. currently having a deep v boat i decided and went for some trips in less of a v boats and found the ride to be quite desireable under the 20 degree angle.

with many test ride and discussing with many people it was decied we would get a riptide built as it would meet many of the requirements i had asked for in the new boat.

dave at riptide was more than help full with what i wanted in the boat and where, and with that in the back of my mind i new it was what i was looking for to be comfortable. with many ideas to mind it was proceeding to keep them all on paper was hard, changing ideas constantly and changing back to suit my fishing style.

with most of my ideas confirmed it was time to start building, with hopes early in the year to have it done ready for fraser comp 2009 it wasnt to be as it would have been to much of a rush which i most certainly didnt want.

so he began building the boat of choice a half cap of 7.4m in length giving me plenty of time to explore my fitout opions, for the half cab, it was decided that we would be running a pair of yamaha 115' four strokes on the twin transom setup for those long distance trips and fuel economy for slow trolling many months of the year. fuel for the boat will be up around the 480 litres mark, this will be confirmed upon fueling it up.

on the cab it will be running solid 6mm toughened glass in 3 pieces and full toughened glass double siders around the side for air circulation there will be double opening hatches above both seats in the cab,

a few pics of the basic hull and transom

more info and pics to come as we proceed.;D

justin

skipalong
27-03-2009, 08:21 PM
the trailer choice was a little easier knowing it had to be strong to handle and support the new riptide comfortably, we opted for a custom belco skid trailer, which i am quite happy with.

it was made from a new pfc c section to reduce a little weight and easy maitenance, bigger wheels and heavy axles were the choice to go under for beach work and reliabilty. hydraulic brakes will pull it up on the road, while the custom starter and flywheel winch setup will pull it up from the water when difficult to drive on.

a few pics of the trailer already built.

justin

blueline
27-03-2009, 09:48 PM
hey mate looks great, just a Q is there any reason why you didnt go for a multi roller trailer?
jamie

backlash08
28-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Hi Justin, you've gotta be happy with that! You will be happy with the trailer, they are a dream to maintain!
cheers - Craig

skipalong
28-03-2009, 05:34 AM
blueline i opted for the skid trailer as it would more suit my needs and carry and support the weight of the boat far better than that of a multi roller trailer, given the area of the skids is greater than that of rollers.

justin

Fido
28-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Could you please explain what pfc sections are re trailer.

Thanks

griz066
28-03-2009, 07:11 AM
PARALLEL FLANGE CHANNEL

http://www.sydneymesh.com.au/nupics/Channells.JPG

Vindicator
28-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Nice Justin bet you can't wait now that its started.

Cheers
Kezza

revs57
28-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Hey Justin, now that's a boat!

As a proud Riptide owner, I know you'll get more than you pay for with Dave. They are such a well behaved hull, very predictablie, no bad manners and exceptionally well finished. They love the horse power, twin 115's will be nice. Christian had a 7.4 with twin 140's and it absolutely hammered. My f200 came off a 6.0m Riptide that was upgraded to twin 115's so that could be something to consider, although the 115's will be ample - maybe that's why I love revz!

He builds one of the best plateys on the market I reckon, don't see many ever on the market second hand. Two reasons,

1. The owners are totally satisfied with their boats, the features and the quality - Dave stands behind every one he makes.
2. If one comes up, its snapped up so quickly they hardly hit the market.

I have a roller trailer under mine but I would prefer a skid trailer, less mainteneces and for me, a better option for beach launching.

Have you decided on a layout and configuration with respect to seat box eskys, etc, etc. I have some refrigerator foam you are welcome to if you're going that way

all ya need is a set of flames and you're part of the family;)

I'll watch this thread and developments with interest

all the best

Rhys

Dean1
28-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Hey Justin great choice I have only heard good reports about Riptides. If for some reason I was to go back to a platey a Riptide would be top of my list. Youv chosen very wisely with the powerplant (yammie twins) and a top choice going for the teflon skid trailer. I think rollers are a thing of the past! No maintence great ;D

Blackened
28-03-2009, 09:53 AM
G'day

I've met Dave a few times, you should feel privileged he's the bloke behind your boat.. great choice.

With regards the trailer, awesome choice. Just a tip... you may of all ready known it but every 3 or 4 trips give the skids a good coating of silicone spray before you put the boat back on. Makes things ooh so effortless

Dave

skipalong
28-03-2009, 01:51 PM
kezza its all so close now just itching to have it done and get back out there.

rhys you are so right in all aspects, i have some many ideas but i dont think they will all fit in this one taking the best forward to dave and we have mangaed a good layout for my fishing style i think, and will be happy in every way, i might yet take you up on that offer yet depending on what we do under the seats,

we were thinking of extending and making a insulated box under one seat and a fridge under the other with a motor but still i little undecided there.

dean with the way suzuki went my first opition was down the tube, but with the ever reliable yamaha 115 and may i add well and truely proven engine should make a great addition to my boat. looking forward to seeing the power theyshall make.

blackened dave is a great guy and knows his stuff very important in what we are doing, and very easily understandable of what i want which makes things a whole lot easier, very true have already given it a few coats of the silicone spray hoping to fill and imperfections in the teflon, and was told like you said evry few trip to ensure great slip to reduce friction.

cheers justin

skipalong
28-03-2009, 01:53 PM
rhys you say flames, i dont know if it will go quick enough for them, what about turtles on the bow?

justin

revs57
28-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Justin, the 115's will push it along O.K. so it won't be a slouch so no turtles, definitely flames matey! Big orange and red bugga's for you!!!

When Dave built mine, we had lockers under both seats. I extended both seats into eskies - it opened up the rear area not having to have an esky in front of the bait board which is excellent - and the room taken was 'dead' room anyway.

The eskies turned out really good, with well cured ice it will actually pull fish down in a slurry and keep them there. Dave put the drains down into the kill tank so they don't drain out over the floor. and the seat boxe lids are filled with refrigerator foam too - I still have ice after 5 days - handy for overnighters and a few days down at Southern haven. I have a waco as well, but haven't really used it - no need with the other option.

Greg (Reefmaster) has an esky under one seat and I think a provision for a cooker on the same side, and an anchor drawer under the starboard seat, which is a great idea, enables you to do all your anchor work from the rear and keeps the anchor off the deck. Gordon (another riptide onwer) glassed refrigerator foam into his kill tank in the floor so that is another option. The seat box esky works out to around 170 litres per side which is plenty.

Depending on your electrics, if you are going to go Radar, have Dave incorperate it into the dash design. Might be a little fiddly but well worth it. Again, reefmaster has his instruments dash mounted and Dave made a security cover for it - absolutely brilliant.

Cheers

Rhys

skipalong
28-03-2009, 07:19 PM
rhys, thanks will be having the cooker under the seat on the port side, but was a little undecided on iceboxes under the seats as i will lose alot of storage area, my electrics are going to be dash mounted, (dave convinced me to make it look pretty) but a few modifications to the dash are going to be made to make it fit as it is quite large, but will sit beautifully beside the 585.

its good going a little later plenty of good ideas to utilise, still sp many ideas i have still to discuss with dave, but hopefully they should make a good addition to having something different.

cheers justin

chris_s
28-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Great choice mate, as you already know there are quite a few of us on here with Riptides and each and every one those guys were more than helpful to pass on ideas and tips to me, and i have no doubt they will more then happy to assist. The great thing about getting a Riptide is that you have guys there who really take pride in what they are building and any good ideas that have popped up from previous boats get passed on to the next one.
And Dave loves doing those little unusual abstract things as well ;D .

Cheers Chris

skipalong
29-03-2009, 06:38 AM
thanks chris

dave sure has put some good ideas into my head, and with the quality of workmanship he has there i wouldnt of went anywhere else, they are a top boat.

justin

Tim_N
29-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Hey Justin,
How are you going to get that rig into Burpy Creek to net prawns??????????
Just kidding, look out Spaniards.
Tim

Wahoo
29-03-2009, 07:22 PM
what was the cost of the trailer?

skipalong
29-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey Justin,
How are you going to get that rig into Burpy Creek to net prawns??????????
Just kidding, look out Spaniards.
Tim

hi tim it would be a bit of a mission, but after todays results in the same spot very poor only a third of last week, i wouldnt think all that effort would be worth it, i do enough damage to the tinny, hate to think what i could do with a 6mm bottom.

justin

skipalong
29-03-2009, 08:24 PM
what was the cost of the trailer?

hi mate it set me back a bit over 10k, i am actually thinking of changing a few things to drop some weight, but the trailer is great already as it only weighs approx 900kg

justin

Wahoo
29-03-2009, 08:34 PM
hi mate it set me back a bit over 10k, i am actually thinking of changing a few things to drop some weight, but the trailer is great already as it only weighs approx 900kg

justin
thanks Justin, i have a C section, belco trailer also, but to me looks like your C Section is a little deeper than mine, i also might go with the skids next time rather than the rollers

Daz

skipalong
29-03-2009, 08:42 PM
the skids should be a little easier to maintain and give more support than the rollers, so until i put the boat on it will have to wait in anticipation.

cheers justin

skipalong
29-03-2009, 09:09 PM
some quick shots of hull and floor structure

seatime
30-03-2009, 07:41 AM
nice boat M8, does riptide have a website anymore??

skipalong
30-03-2009, 06:03 PM
seatime, no mate i dont think so he is always busy though

justin

skipalong
31-03-2009, 08:28 PM
twin motor transom, strengthened

skipalong
05-04-2009, 12:55 PM
a few more pics of the transom taking shape

skipalong
05-04-2009, 01:01 PM
water exit hole for self draining deck

being supported

900mm depth anchor well

skipalong
05-04-2009, 01:17 PM
2100 long bunks, will be having extra sleeve between both bunks to complete a full bed area in cabin

fuel tank at bottom of pic with capacity of 500 litres for all of those extended trips, kill tank and storage compartments.

storage area between bunks in cabin

bow and cabin pockets

rando
05-04-2009, 04:58 PM
If you have the space why not add a eutectic plate to your cooler box/es , be great for those long trips.
I love watching these "Build" threads, Fantasyland for me though.:) All the riptides Ive seen have been beauties, so i hope yours exceeds your dreams.

backlash08
05-04-2009, 07:15 PM
looking the goods Justin, keep the pics coming
cheers - Craig

Fish_gutz
06-04-2009, 11:46 AM
looks the goods, i have a riptide and once i got some confidence for the big trips i love it. came back from the cape a few weeks back and was surfing the boat down two meter swells, handled it beautifully . do you still have a contact for dave as I have some questions for him, the phone number goes to another buisiness and the website is no longer there? any help would be great. Cheers Andrew

skipalong
06-04-2009, 05:25 PM
fish_gutz, i have both his numbers, but usually contact him on his mobile, if you need it let me know and i will shoot you a pm.

cheers justin

skipalong
07-04-2009, 09:16 PM
transom building a few after mods to take the 2 yammie 115's

skipalong
07-04-2009, 09:19 PM
inner back deck chopping and changing ideas

tin can marlin
07-04-2009, 09:19 PM
There is no doubt about Daves abilty to put a boat together he would have to be the best in the business now col has decided to get out of boat building.

skipalong
07-04-2009, 09:22 PM
inner flooring

kill tank

beginning the modfied seat and sub seat boxes

revs57
08-04-2009, 07:25 AM
He's really getting a move on with it justin, wont be long before its rolled over to finish off the bottom, rolled back, you'll be surprised how quickly the cab superstructure goes up, but then its the time consuming fiddly stuff. What have you decided to do with the seat boxes?

Wahoo
08-04-2009, 08:51 AM
comming along very nice Justin, im liking this thread, and 500l fuel tank, how sweet, is the boat being painted once done? can't wait to see the finished product, will look nice

Daz

skipalong
08-04-2009, 05:30 PM
rhys, he is now he said last night there are only a few more weeks, but its all going to quick now, i dont want to forget anything.

i was there last night with dave to sort a few things out and it will be rolled at the end of this week or first up tuesday morning when dave gets back to work after easter break.

both boxes under seats will be for storage and sub seat boxes are going to be foamed in and going to have false floor 100mm from bottom.

i keep asking dave to measure it, as it looks small beside that big fella hes had there for months, but evn its really taking shape to, some good ideas to take off it i think ,

Daz 500litres was only the beginning i wanted more but dave wouldnt be in it as it aleady takes up half the middle of the floor, but with 500l it should be more than ample for those extended trips, will not be painting it, i dont want the stress of sctratching it

cheers justin

backlash08
08-04-2009, 05:36 PM
, will not be painting it, i dont want the stress of sctratching it

cheers justin[/quote]

Justin, in many ways that is a smart choice, I put a scratch on Backlash and I'm still seeking counciling over it!

can't wait to see the finished product! close now!

cheers - Craig

skipalong
08-04-2009, 06:57 PM
hey craig its only a stones throw now, the best bits are yet to come and the fitout should be fun

justin

revs57
08-04-2009, 07:55 PM
rhys, he is now he said last night there are only a few more weeks, but its all going to quick now, i dont want to forget anything.

i was there last night with dave to sort a few things out and it will be rolled at the end of this week or first up tuesday morning when dave gets back to work after easter break.

both boxes under seats will be for storage and sub seat boxes are going to be foamed in and going to have false floor 100mm from bottom.

i keep asking dave to measure it, as it looks small beside that big fella hes had there for months, but evn its really taking shape to, some good ideas to take off it i think ,

Daz 500litres was only the beginning i wanted more but dave wouldnt be in it as it aleady takes up half the middle of the floor, but with 500l it should be more than ample for those extended trips, will not be painting it, i dont want the stress of sctratching it

cheers justin

What!!!! No Flames??????;D ;D ;D ;D

What electronics are you running? Through hull transducer? Dave makes a ripper of an adaptor plate so the water runs nice and smoothly across the 'ducer if you decide to go that way

Are you doing the fit out yourself?

Mate, I'm pretty excited for you. how well I remember

Once you see the cabin going it you'll cream yourself!!!!
Cheers

rhys

skipalong
08-04-2009, 08:09 PM
rhys i will show you a little touch of suprise when the boat is done you will just have to wait and see what happens, dave thinks your a funny man when i told him flames,

wanted to go raymarine, but already have a lowrance globalmap 9200c and furunu 585 going it with thru hull transducer that i have to pick up from trimax and get to dave on wednesday when its rolled over.

we are planning on making a full surround from right to left to cradle to full electronic instrument setup

will be fitting it out completely myself, apart from the motors which i will get yamaha to put on.

its too late for that, it all happened when dave started as i knew it was only weeks away.

i still have to speak to dave but have been thinking tonight i want to make some massive changes to the cabin design inside and out, but not sure what he is going to say, will be speaking to him soon about it.

with a few little special touches thrown in for supprise, they wont be shown till finished, for a little completion touch

justin

Nobites
08-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Skip
I have just about finished a 7 m platey built by Performance plate boats which is coming along real nice. I will post when im have completed everything.

I also have a Belco Trailer made from RHS as I tow my rig long distance and wanted to get maximum strength and limit twist. Harder to look after and probably overkill oh well :).

My trailer is also a skid trailer with keel rollers and I love it however I would offer some advise when you start using it.

Check the lock nut tightness on the U Bolts connecting the springs to the axels. Mine where very loose and my axel slid sideways over a couple of months usage.

Also check the bolts holding the brake calipers onto the axles, one of mine came out on a 10 hour trip north and I had to strap the calliper to the axle until I got the new bolt sent via courier.

Perhaps locktite on the caliper bolts?

Otherwise the best built trailer on the market IMO.

Im only telling you this because it is a major safety issue and I dont want it to spoil a trip.

Also you will have to do your own height adjustments on your skids, make sure ALL your bolts are tight once adjusted on your skids because they are left loose.

I sink my trailer when launching and retrieving because I drive the boat on and off. I dont use any spray on the skids however I do have keel rolers which may make a difference.

Ive Denzo taped all springs and axels and fish oiled tralier. By the way I hope you got some serious axels on that trailer my boat and trailer came in at 3.8 tonnes fully fueled (320 litres 80 litres water) However mine has a 260HP Yanmar Diesel stern drive.

Regards

No_bites

skipalong
09-04-2009, 04:08 PM
thanks no bites

have been over most of the trailer, yet to adjust the skids until the boat goes on, my axles are only 3.6t as the boat cant go over 3.5t for legal reasons, from what expect and others the same it should come it at about 3.3t but will weight it when complete

justin

skipalong
13-04-2009, 03:22 PM
finished going over the trailer today, everything was tip top, the only thing i may do is remove the steel guards and replace with alloy ones to drop weight, but i hope it works ok, but depending on the weight of the boat i may even drop tyres size a little more again.

what did you do when the denso tape dried out can you reoil it without using a whole lot more tape on axles and springs.

justin

skipalong
15-04-2009, 07:12 PM
a few pics of the rear transom complete, it only awaits the plates for trim tabs and boarding ladder on the port side of the boat.

skipalong
15-04-2009, 07:36 PM
the inner arse of the boat near completion just a few little extras will be thrown in to finish to access areas below the middle.

skipalong
15-04-2009, 07:54 PM
a few more pics of the seat boxes taking shape

noboatyet
15-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Looks great Justin.
Just wondering what the deadrise is?
Keep the photos coming.
Cheers
Murray

skipalong
15-04-2009, 08:43 PM
murray it only has a 16 degree angle in the rear for stability and gets out of the water better than that of a bigger deadrise, takes less to push, but had a greater angle at entry for the big stuff the sea has to hold.

justin

Wahoo
16-04-2009, 07:51 PM
looking good Justin, is that a live bait tank i see? i have never used mine as yet, i find they keep well in the flooded kill tank, i might get it going and see how it goes, also i take it that is where the batteries are going? whats above that you have there, like a storage area?love seeing a plate boat getting built

Daz

skipalong
16-04-2009, 08:28 PM
daz i wouldnt like to catch the livies to fill my kill tank as it should hold about 250litres and would hold sh%t loads of the little buggas.

it has 2 50litre live bait tanks going in on the top sides, in the middle at the top is storage for whatever just more space, dave through it in and i used it for that, at the bottom middle there will be a hinged door there just to cover battery isolators and fuel filters and lead, and both bottom corners will house batteries 2 on the passenger side and 1 battery on the drivers side with hinged doors.

justin

skipalong
18-04-2009, 02:47 PM
a few more pics of the rear compartments and storage seat boxes coming along

justin

dkbikes
18-04-2009, 09:46 PM
wow mate its come along way since i went n seen it with ou in such a short time, looking real good now,

skipalong
19-04-2009, 01:37 PM
hey joel when i saw it yesterday dave said it should be completed in a couple of weeks, by next saturday when i go down again he said he should have finished underneath and have it rolled back over and have started the sides of the cabin, its getting real close cant wait.

justin

rando
23-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Hey Justin
How about an update on the build 8-).
I need another dose of wishful thinking;D

skipalong
26-04-2009, 06:22 PM
hey rando havnt been down for a while as work is busy and weekends have been public holidays for dave, will be back there this week hopefully,

here a few more pics of when it was upside down, shots of cutting board to go on, bow sprit, tow eye strengthened and rear transom

justin

nickstock
26-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Looking good mate, a dream boat!

Nick

rando
26-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Justin

Put 6 chairs around that baitboard and you could sell your dining room table.;D

Bet you cant wait for the launching, cant be far now8-)

Keep the pics coming I am living it vicariously through you::)

cheers
rando

skipalong
27-04-2009, 05:17 PM
rando it should only be within 2 weeks before i take the boat to get the motors on and then another week for me to tinker with the fitout and then to the water within the month if all goes well.

justin

rando
28-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Exciting times for you!!!!
I hope you can post some more pics when you have the time.
good luck

rando

skipalong
30-04-2009, 06:32 PM
cutting board (work station) complete as transom is now all finished, very good looking to the eye aswell.

skipalong
30-04-2009, 06:36 PM
bow and bow sprite just awaiting roller guide,

skipalong
30-04-2009, 06:40 PM
rear bollard, grab rails and boarding ladder to go on

skipalong
30-04-2009, 06:45 PM
scuppers under transom step, 300mm plates for the volvo ql trimtabs

skipalong
30-04-2009, 06:54 PM
side pockets braced, rod holders in deck, deck winch hole with blue insert both sides are the same, insert used to hold winches.

seat boxes both have 120mm under tilting lid, and door side access for below storage,

skipalong
30-04-2009, 07:03 PM
sub seat boxes have the cutouts to slide in tackle boxes both side foe easy access on the deck, full sized deck area at 2.4m behind seats.

cabin sheets are on and coming along very nice,

marty+jojo
30-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Looking real good Justin, and getting close now. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of it all fitted out.
Marty.

rando
01-05-2009, 01:09 AM
The Buddha said
"enlightenment follows when desire is mastered":idea:
He supposedly achieved "Nirvana",,, but :wings:

he didnt get to see your boat;D

tin can marlin
01-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Justain that looks like one hell of a battleship you have got there. Coming together very nicely a lot of good years ahead and fun times.

backlash08
01-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Fish beware, Justin is almost ready for war!!

skipalong
02-05-2009, 08:52 PM
a close up of the deck winch inserts, they come up a treat, nice and tight to stay in there. raised 25mm from deck for full rotation

skipalong
02-05-2009, 09:01 PM
a few shots of the cabin going on, there will be 3 screens at front for strength and full length sliders on the sides, with extended roof.

Wahoo
03-05-2009, 07:22 AM
cab is looking real good Justin, won't be long now before its in the water

Daz

MyWay
04-05-2009, 07:03 AM
skipalong
i can see this boat going to be one awesome sea wapen

it may fill to you it is taking ages to build it but , i can see this boat just about to hit water and, I got filling David working 24 /7 on it
excellent progress
please keep posting this photos

cheers myway

skipalong
04-05-2009, 07:19 PM
daz if all goes well within the next few weeks

justin

skipalong
09-05-2009, 06:42 PM
so close now, the all important stubbie holders under the work station.

skipalong
09-05-2009, 06:45 PM
a few more shots of the inside and outside of the cabin.

skipalong
09-05-2009, 06:48 PM
and then there is the outside

nickstock
09-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Looking good mate,

I bet your biting the bit to get her on the water.

Nick

rando
10-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Looking pretty tidy mate

skipalong
13-05-2009, 06:48 PM
a few of the latest pics from today as the hull comes to its completion

skipalong
13-05-2009, 06:55 PM
more shots of roof coming together

skipalong
13-05-2009, 06:59 PM
more front shots

skipalong
13-05-2009, 07:05 PM
more side shots showing inside and out

Whale Bone
13-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Will be great to get her on the water and start fishing
looking good
keep us updated, tell us how it goes when you get fishing in it

tin can marlin
15-05-2009, 09:20 PM
When are the twin yammies going on it.

skipalong
16-05-2009, 06:44 PM
i started the fitout today both yamahas are going on tuesday and then back to get get come more of the fitot done and then water tested and reproped.

justin

will post more pics tomorrow when im fitting out the boat.

backlash08
17-05-2009, 06:12 AM
enjoy Justin, I'm looking forward to seeing it
cheers - Craig

trueblue
17-05-2009, 09:36 AM
what is riptide's website to look at their available models?

skipalong
17-05-2009, 08:40 PM
craig the motors go on this week, will call past on the way home from picking it up if you home.

justin

skipalong
17-05-2009, 08:43 PM
picked the boat up yesterday to begin the fitout stage, should only be a few more weeks before its on the water

justin

sleepygreg
17-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Justin, are you doing the fit out yourself, or are riptide doing it. What colour are you painting it, or are you leaving it raw?
Greg

Ps...great looking rig.

skipalong
18-05-2009, 06:12 PM
greg - will be doing the fitout myself, wont be painting it, as i didnt want to worry about scratching it, and its easy to change things when i need to without repainting.

justin

chris_s
18-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Top stuff mate. I have seen it coming along each time i have dropped in there, its a great feeling loading it up, isn't it.

chris

skipalong
18-05-2009, 07:55 PM
chris its pretty good but those little things take the most time.

how did your trailer go? it will sure lighten the load

justin

Reefmaster
19-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Top stuff Justin looking good. Glad I'm not the only one with a rear wing on the roof for people to put crap on me lol

The roof design looks a little less weighty and simple then other riptides Justin which will be good and what thickness screens you putting into it. Sliders on the sides?

Cheers,
Greg

dfox
19-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Top stuff Justin looking good. Glad I'm not the only one with a rear wing on the roof for people to put crap on me lol
Cheers,
Greg
Thats a "FORD" rear wing greg, i know how you love ford's lol ...

backlash08
19-05-2009, 05:47 PM
I should be around Justin, cheers - Craig

skipalong
19-05-2009, 05:53 PM
greg i preferred the wing for the aerials and to raise the radar off the roof, the top consol is not as deep now but was plenty to give me a couple of pockets and room for radios,

been to flair today trying to organise glass, front will be 6mm toughened, went 3 screens for more strength in the glass and the sliders a 5mm toughened glass is all they would do. but hell the say its going to be 10 days to get the screens ready.

justin

tin can marlin
21-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi Justin have you got the motors fitted yet and done any fitout work.

skipalong
22-05-2009, 08:41 PM
tin can marlin - motors are fitted, were finished yesterday, finshing the fitout over the weekend, it goes for the water test and re prop next weekend, and then its full on fishing or me,

will post some shots of the fitout and motors over the weekend when i get a chance.

cheers justin

skipalong
22-05-2009, 08:58 PM
picked the boat up yesterday from getting the motors on, looks a treat and very happy with the work done,

justin

ffejsmada
23-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Very ####ing nice indeed!

It'll be nice nude I reckon, no paint, but what about Nyalac??
Just more cost I suppose.

Top looking rig Justin.

Jeff.

skipalong
23-05-2009, 07:44 PM
jeff - i though about nylac and other stuff but just decided to leave it the way it is, if down the track it looks dirty i may just get dave to buff it again for that clean finish, but its a fishing boat and wasnt that worried about the llook as such.

justin

tin can marlin
23-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Looks good to me as you said only going to fish out of not take down the brisbane river for a pose.

lampuki
23-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Had my platey for four years and I didnt paint it, not even when I sold it......No need. The only thing you might notice justin is that if you end up with s/s props, you may eoncounter some discolouration...it happened to me, and it apparently happens to unpainted plate boats....other members might be able to explain why.

dkbikes
24-05-2009, 06:32 PM
looking good mate let us no when you want to come around, speak to you soon

skipalong
24-05-2009, 07:51 PM
more than likely will be stainless props but genuine yamaha which are painted over the stainless, and should be spinning 17 inch props will find out on saturday when i put her in the water for the first time.

justin

skipalong
24-05-2009, 07:54 PM
some shots while fitting it out

skipalong
24-05-2009, 08:09 PM
trim tabs, great and easy to work with

interior shots of the dash and surroundings

backlash08
25-05-2009, 06:17 AM
you'll be happy with the QL tabs Justin,
coming along well,

glennoceanic
26-05-2009, 06:58 PM
more than likely will be stainless props but genuine yamaha which are painted over the stainless, and should be spinning 17 inch props will find out on saturday when i put her in the water for the first time.

justin
bella runs 20 pitch and sempry runs 21pitch bella is 7.8m with twin 140s sempry is7.6m with twin 115s both boats are ripetides

skipalong
26-05-2009, 07:26 PM
thanks for the info mate, i didnt know what they ran, i know both guys and both boats, i believe it is no longer bella since christian sold it, like i say not sure what ill spin yet, have just been told that the 17's would work for what i want, but on saturday when it goes in the water i will be trying a few different size props to get it right,

captain rednut
26-05-2009, 07:35 PM
its coming along good justin!! i bet you cant wait to pull the first knobby aboard? where are you launching her??? cheers jim

skipalong
27-05-2009, 07:18 PM
thanks jim, no cant wait, definally for the first red, launching saturday but following weekend will be the first trip fishing, heading up DI way for the long weekend a few nights on the water so long as the weather is good

justin

dfox
27-05-2009, 08:05 PM
bella runs 20 pitch and sempry runs 21pitch bella is 7.8m with twin 140s sempry is7.6m with twin 115s both boats are ripetides
Yeah but both of them are suzuki's, on yammies 17's will be close, if they rev to hard then 19 's maybe...

skipalong
28-05-2009, 06:13 PM
thanks dave, we will be trying 3 sets of props on saturday over at scarbrough while its in the water, the im just going off what they told me for similar size boats they have done,

i hope they know i dont want a race boat, just as long as we have great hole shot, should be good and interested to know how it perform with different props,

will keep you informed

justin

thelump
29-05-2009, 08:03 AM
A sleepless night ahead eh?

tin can marlin
29-05-2009, 07:23 PM
I think you only need to run the 17's the yammies will pur with them on anything else will not holeshot enough imo

skipalong
29-05-2009, 08:03 PM
thats what i think to from experience with other yammies

will find out tomorrow were all set to go, just need to fuel her up the full 500litres in the morning.

justin

marty+jojo
29-05-2009, 08:06 PM
500 litres ouch, and on a weekend, ouch again. I would just put in what you need and then fill it on tuesday, always cheaper.

tin can marlin
29-05-2009, 09:42 PM
500 litres ouch, and on a weekend, ouch again. I would just put in what you need and then fill it on tuesday, always cheaper.
I think he would be doing it mainly because he needs to know what the motors will do set up ready for a big trip out wide good idea imo.

backlash08
30-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Justin, how did it go??
Craig

skipalong
30-05-2009, 03:17 PM
it went like this;D ;D ;D ;D

the day started off great woke at 4.30 to finish getting the boat ready for the water and with that out of the way we made our way to the servo for fuel just before the boat ramp, and it only got better as i only paid 11.9c per litre at the pump, as it was playing up so we fueled the boat for $23.78 ;D :Pthey new there mistake but it was advertised at 11.9c so they couldnt do anything but they soon corrected that,

they boat was great with good fuel figures, making a top speed at 32knots at 6000rpm, 5 guys on board spinning 17 inch props, fuel at 4200rpm was 28lph between both motors very good i thought.

a few little adjustments and was all done a quick little drive and back home to fit the windows nearly done now ready for fishing next weekend.

will post pics later

justin

backlash08
30-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Justin, as a matter of interest what was your speed at 4200rpm?
cheers - Craig

skipalong
30-05-2009, 03:29 PM
not entirely sure it was this morning when i looked at it lol

from memory it was about 21-23knots

justin

GBC
30-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Jaysus, I would have filled her up to the gunwales at that price !!!

skipalong
30-05-2009, 03:56 PM
i was tempted but didnt want her to try and make me pay for it, before i even finished pumping she fiddled with it to change the price,

the best luck i have in a very long time i bet ill never happen again

backlash08
30-05-2009, 05:00 PM
good numbers, 21-23 at 4200, great cruise and economy

marty+jojo
30-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Good score on the fuel... I too would have filled it as much as possible, the servo's rip us off every chance they get, good to get em back.
Marty.

MattyDucati
31-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Come on slipa we are hanging out for some on water picys.... ;D

Tim_N
31-05-2009, 04:23 PM
You're getting really close now Justin,
Well done on putting it all together. She sounds like the real deal.
Tim

skipalong
31-05-2009, 07:23 PM
sorry guys been flat out doing some little things AND the glass what a job, almost there it was great to get it on the water, hope to have it done very shortly as i have almost 99% confirmed a fishing trip next weekend

a couple of pics from the water

justin

skipalong
31-05-2009, 07:25 PM
from the water

fez
31-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi Justin,

It looks big on the trailer, saw you trying to get it round the roundabout at Rothwell about 10am yesterday.

Bet you can't wait to get the first fish over the side.

fez

boatboy50
31-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Skip,

That rig looks almost enough to convert a glass man.

Well almost anyway.

Great work. Good luck and catch plenty with it.

Regards

Darren

skipalong
08-06-2009, 08:35 PM
finally all done and dusted, put 5 hours on the motors over the weekend, sorted out all the bugs and now ready to go do some serious fishing

cheers justin

Tim_N
08-06-2009, 08:56 PM
It's a monster Justin,
Good luck to you.
Tim

nickstock
08-06-2009, 09:32 PM
What a machine mate!
That is a awesome looking rig !

Nick

legsy11
08-06-2009, 09:55 PM
very nice.if i ever went a mono it would not be much different to what youve done mate,very nice.good luck with the christening.

revs57
09-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Looks good Justin,

how are the 115's performing?

skipalong
10-06-2009, 05:38 PM
rhys

they are better than i ever expected them to be for this size boat, they topped out at 6100rpm

fuel figures are brilliant as well, at 3900prm i am cruising at 21knots getting 1.6km/per litre and at 4200rpm making 24knots and wot 6100rpm 38knots more than enough power for me and to date when i was running on the weekend 3900/4000rpm was ample.

all fully loaded with 4 guys on board.

cheers justin

revs57
10-06-2009, 08:05 PM
That awesome Justin, i must admit I was a little concerned and thought you may have been a lttile conservative with it. How often do you get the opportunity for more than 22kts outside? Not a lot. Glad it pulls well for you. @ 1.6klm/litre you'll certainly get some range out of it!

Cheers

Rhys

Vitamin Sea
10-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Top boat Justin

Bet you are one happy camper.

good choice with the twins, especially heading wide.

1.6 km/l, is that both or per side?

Best of luck

Bill

Vitamin Sea
10-06-2009, 08:23 PM
That awesome Justin, i must admit I was a little concerned and thought you may have been a lttile conservative with it. How often do you get the opportunity for more than 22kts outside? Not a lot. Glad it pulls well for you. @ 1.6klm/litre you'll certainly get some range out of it!

Cheers

Rhys

Hey Rhys

Did about 35 knts coming home from the banks a week or so ago, but that was exceptional conditions.

Good to have it there when conditions allow.

PS: Must catch up for that beer:-X

Cheers

Bill

skipalong
10-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Vitamin Sea

bill that is both motors, i have just found with the fuel flow that at 3900rpm it is best on economy, and its a great cruise speed i am more that happy with 1.6l/perkm, it is better than i single 250hp of the same make so i am glad al worked out well, i got the performance i was after/

cheers justin

Vitamin Sea
11-06-2009, 05:44 AM
They are real good numbers Justin, I don't do much better than that with a single 200 DI on the back of a 19' boat.

Good luck, look out fishy, fishy

Cheers

Bill

Wahoo
11-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Justin, sounds like you are very happy with the out come, as one would, looks very nice all finished, now to enjoy

Daz