PDA

View Full Version : How to right a sunk 22 foot boat

FNQCairns
27-03-2009, 04:16 AM
http://www.wtsp.com/video/default_maven.aspx?aid=79879

They tried to pull the anchor by the stern cleat while 40miles offshore, 4 on board for the trip, 1 survivor.

cheers fnq

GBC
27-03-2009, 05:38 AM
Best excuse I've seen for having a self drainer yet.

I'd like to know what type of line they were using - it didn't look too big for the force that was put through it?

cormorant
27-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Me thinks they have done that a few times before. Very well done and it takes balls to keep on the throttles when it looks like duck diving at the beginning until the side rope twisted it round. We have done it on a small tinny and i is not easy but did get enough water out to keep it afloat so it could be bucketed out. Hundreds of buckets mind you before we were game to step aboard. Pretty easy to do damage a boat doing it as I was surprised at the strain on rope and cleats.

Great video thanks for that

The ol anchor from the stern has caught so many and I bet that bloke with all his floatation thought it couldn't happen. Self draining doesn't help as I have seen a boat fill up and capsize in seconds a sthe water once inside overbalances it fast. Self draining doesn't mean self righting and with a deck of water and airtight compartments underneath the air goes up. Most self drains are 100 times too small as you seriously need 2 foot square transom door size