PDA

View Full Version : Financial crisis claims queensland boating world?

Chamelion
26-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Hi all,

Just went over to Queensland boating world to get a quote for repairs to find them all locked up with angry customers wanting to know when they will get their (locked up) boats back.

I don't know any more than that...

Matt.

Chamelion
26-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Oh, there were several Allied Pickfords shipping containers and an Allied Pickfords truck there too.

Matt.

Mindi
26-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Nothing mentioned on the ASIC site..? Maybe they were just moving although they only moved 12 months ago...sounds bad doesnt it.

Chamelion
26-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Certainly didn't look too good.. Workshop was closed before the time stated on the door, so I went down the road to the showroom to be greeted by trucks, containers and people.

Oh, there was a new for lease sign on the fence of the showroom too.

Foxy4
26-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Yet another one bites the dust so to speak Things are sure not looking too good even more so now that they have increased the rego fees on boats as well.

PinHead
26-03-2009, 06:56 PM
where were they ???

Chamelion
26-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Maroochydore on the Sunshine coast.

Matt.

Stuart
26-03-2009, 07:52 PM
I was only down that way last week and seen the same thing. I went around the corner to get same sanding disks and not 50 meters down the road their was a big sign QBW out the front so If they have closed down It must have happened in the last week.

Stu

Chamelion
26-03-2009, 09:24 PM
That's the impression I got from the people there wanting their boats. Being that there doesn't seem to be any info on the ASIC website, perhaps they didn't lock the gates voluntarily? (just speculating)

boatie_72
27-03-2009, 09:37 AM
I believe they have decided to close down the business, and scale back to just doing jet skies. BRP has a new dealer ship in Noosa now.

Chamelion
27-03-2009, 10:02 AM
I had to drive past there again this morning, it looks like allied pickfords just share(d) that building as noted by some signs on that corner of it.. al the same QBW were closed.

Mindi
27-03-2009, 10:44 AM
I believe they have decided to close down the business, and scale back to just doing jet skies. BRP has a new dealer ship in Noosa now.

Who is the new dealer in Noosa..?

tin can marlin
27-03-2009, 04:06 PM
I think Laguna boating centre has got the etecs should do a good job with them as well nice guys up there. And qbw is a very sad case again of workers loseing there jobs i have called my union to see if they can help in any way and they are looking into it. They did say that there hands are tied as there is not a union for the boating industry but they are hoping to break into it very soon with the help of the Qld's goverment. Will keep Ausfish members informed.

Stuart
27-03-2009, 04:16 PM
If the union gets involved in the marine industry expect to see the price of every thing go up significantly.

Stu

tin can marlin
27-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi Stu
I agree with you maybe things need to go up as they are falling like flys. And if they made more margin they can keep there staff in a job and pay them more. Unions are good for business to as they want to business to be profiable so they can employ members of unions. But i see the other side which is us the customer paying more for our items will hurt us as well. Catch 22.
Mark

ZigZag
27-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi

Just speaking to a boatie down the end of my street ( Buderim) and he had just come home after fighting all morning to get his boat back from QBW. It was in for a service. Seems QBW has gone into liquidation.

Chamelion
27-03-2009, 04:58 PM
It's amazing that people can't just simply get what belongs to them back. :-/ He will get his boat back, right?

FNQCairns
27-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Yes he will but only when those with the appropriate signatures choose to grant him a simple right. But first and during he will need to pay in one way or another for that privilege.

cheers fnq

Stuart
27-03-2009, 05:06 PM
They cant keep the boat thats in for a service as its not their property to begin with. You cant liquidat property that dosent belong to the company. I would be going in late at night cutting the wire and towing my boat home, they may get yoiu for brake and enter but not theft, how can they charge you for steeling your own boat.

Stu

Chamelion
27-03-2009, 05:11 PM
That would be my sentiment...

Surely QBW knew they were going broke? It's pretty disgusting to have someones boat in the yard when you're forced to shut shop. They could have at least called the owner to come collect it!

Stuart
27-03-2009, 05:29 PM
This is a low act and one that would met with two hits, my fist hitting their jaw and the ambulance hitting 100kph. There is no way I would put up with this crap by anyone more so when they new they were about to go belly up....pricks.

Stu

FNQCairns
27-03-2009, 05:38 PM
The establishment (here even as displayed by members) wonders why the people are so dead set scared of this exact thing, given the personal character of business on average like here with gates closed on customers boats it's a no brainer. I would be absolutely spewing but would understand I am the worth of a number only before anything else these days, so would wait it out.

cheers fnq

champion
27-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Hi Stu
I agree with you maybe things need to go up as they are falling like flys. And if they made more margin they can keep there staff in a job and pay them more. Unions are good for business to as they want to business to be profiable so they can employ members of unions. But i see the other side which is us the customer paying more for our items will hurt us as well. Catch 22.
Mark

TCM, its obvious you have never owned or run a small business....

What has happened is "sign of the times" so to say, or/either the owners running high on the good times and not thinking that the bubble might burst one day, mismanagement even... we dont know.

But as for prices going up, what are they too cheap? they cant meet costs ?
Will quality standards and service rise with the prices ?

And unions being good for small business ???.....Im still trying to work that one out !

Joe

tigermullet
27-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi Stu
Mark

I can't believe I read that. I'll have some of whatever it is you're smoking.;D

I need it...We're truly shagged and it's getting worse.;D

Need things to go up???

Buy gold...like real quick, man.

Mindi
27-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I think Laguna boating centre has got the etecs should do a good job with them as well nice guys up there. And qbw is a very sad case again of workers loseing there jobs i have called my union to see if they can help in any way and they are looking into it. They did say that there hands are tied as there is not a union for the boating industry but they are hoping to break into it very soon with the help of the Qld's goverment. Will keep Ausfish members informed.

Interesting...they have always been wall to wall Suzi.. need a BRP dealer here, nearest are Caloundra and Gympie both over 50km. Queensland Boating World never convincing as a boat place..always has been a full on jetski place IMHO.

northernblue
27-03-2009, 07:25 PM
They seemed quite helpful when I was chasing some parts 12 months ago, but I'm not sure that their new location really helped them, stuck in the back of the allied pickfords wharehouse, virtually no street exposure at all.
I hope everyone gets their boats back soon, and that the employees are able to find work elsewhere.

Tangles
27-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Tin Can,

Wont go near your views on unions, your view,.... but maybe boat prices need to go up?.. your kidding right?

have you checked out the prices of a kitted out 6 mtre Barcrusher, McLay, or a CC or Haines etc lately?? not cheap.... At the show i was shown a 6.5 glass bargain... cheap at only 65K... geez even the McLay 5.88 was 58K and didnt have all that much on it.. and fell over at a no name 5 m tinny at over 43k...

New boat prices havent exactly gone backwards now have they? maybe cant afford them so easily and they are a luxury item...maybe they are starting to slip out of the reach of their real customer base.

Seeing your on such good terms with the Gov and as you know everyone who works at every dealer in Qld, how about planting the seed for a new First boat owners scheme? say 14k and extend it to Second buyers as well what you reckon 7k? ... now that would kick start things??

And to you 3rd boat owners you miss out as you should know better;D

mike

FNQCairns
27-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Tin Can,

Wont go near your views on unions, your view,.... but maybe boat prices need to go up?.. your kidding right?

have you checked out the prices of a kitted out 6 mtre Barcrusher, McLay, or a CC or Haines etc lately?? not cheap.... At the show i was shown a 6.5 glass bargain... cheap at only 65K... geez even the McLay 5.88 was 58K and didnt have all that much on it.. and fell over at a no name 5 m tinny at over 43k...

New boat prices havent exactly gone backwards now have they? maybe cant afford them so easily and they are a luxury item...maybe they are starting to slip out of the reach of their real customer base.

Seeing your on such good terms with the Gov and as you know everyone who works at every dealer in Qld, how about planting the seed for a new First boat owners scheme? say 14k and extend it to Second buyers as well what you reckon 7k? ... now that would kick start things??

And to you 3rd boat owners you miss out as you should know better;D

mikeGee I hope so, that would almost overnight double my basic but established entry level basic boat value!! worth also to consider a relaxation on say rego fees just like the fed libs on houses also, yee ha! the most expensive boating by x2 in the world is right around the corner;D.

cheer fnq

picaloau
27-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I got a call while on main beach watching the surfers from a neighbour who saw it on the news.
Here is my dillema.... My son left his jetski with them to repair, Headed back to townsville (he is in the army). He broke the ski before Xmas, took it to qbw was quoted $2200 replace chip??? got call 3 weeks ago to say it was fixed bill $3400.
I disputed it on my sons behalf and got them to honour original quote. Sevice guy rang me last week to see if son had the cash. I told him my son would be home for easter to pay & pick up. Now what do I do?
My some is on course and uncontactable until the 8 th of april.
How will I get his Ski?
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I have not had this happen before.

Chamelion
27-03-2009, 09:36 PM
That has got to be a royal pain in the arse picaloau, I wish I had some advice.

I missed the news, but from what I heard they shut shop yesterday? Quite a fluke I went there when I did... I'd hate to think what would have happened if I left my boat with them for a quote on wednesday afternoon!

Matt.

boatboy50
27-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Hey Pic,

There were signs of the pending closure, including seriously cheap new rigs, and your call asking for money.

You need to find out (ATSIC website?) who the liquidators are, and call them or drive up there NOW to see them.

As long as an invoice has been created for your son on the companies computers, the administrators will release the ski when you pay that bill.

You need to pray that invoice reads your $2200 and not $3400, as they won't release anything until that invoice amount is paid.

If no invoice has been created, you may get away with no charges at all?

Act now so they know what to do with the ski and you get it back.

Regards

Darren

picaloau
27-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I appreciate you advice.

My son just seems to attract trouble and leaves mum to sort out his messes.
When he was little I would bath him dress him turm my back for a second and he would be all messy again. Who would have thought he wouldn't grow out of it. lol

finga
28-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Did any of their work or company cars have words on their number plates??

I was told one day or heard one day or read it one day that that is a sign of a business that's gunna go broke.
there are other indicators but that was one of them that I remember.
Don't really know how accurate it is

Mindi
28-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Hey Pic,

There were signs of the pending closure, including seriously cheap new rigs, and your call asking for money.

You need to find out (ATSIC website?) who the liquidators are, and call them or drive up there NOW to see them.

As long as an invoice has been created for your son on the companies computers, the administrators will release the ski when you pay that bill.

You need to pray that invoice reads your $2200 and not $3400, as they won't release anything until that invoice amount is paid.

If no invoice has been created, you may get away with no charges at all?

Act now so they know what to do with the ski and you get it back.

Regards

Darren

The ASIC site shows no notice of going into Administration which would happen before Liquidation ....so dont get too far ahead of yourself too soon.

troy
28-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Nothing mentioned on the ASIC site..? Maybe they were just moving although they only moved 12 months ago...sounds bad doesnt it.
How do you navigate the ASIC site to find out about these companys going to the wall.
Thanks
Troy

northernblue
28-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Did any of their work or company cars have words on their number plates??

I was told one day or heard one day or read it one day that that is a sign of a business that's gunna go broke.
there are other indicators but that was one of them that I remember.
Don't really know how accurate it is

What do you mean finga?
Do you mean personallised plates?
If so then yeah, I know what you mean ;D

In the early naughties in Darwin, it seemed that any business which won the Territory Small Business Award [the award for inviting the "right" people to the most cocktail parties in any consecutive 12 month period] was doomed to fail within the following 12 months, it was absolutely comical ::)

Stuart
28-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I just got through reading the article in the Sunshine Coast Daily about QBW. One guy drove up from Brisbane to get his boat and camped out front of the shop all night, he told reporters that the owner come in during the late hours of Wednesday night after the liquidators had been in to collect two boats of his, he also cut the padlock from the gate which was placed there by the liquidators and before he disappeared into the night he put a new padlock on the gate. The guy from Brisbane asked him he wanted his boat out of their and the owner said to get of private property or he will call the police, if he was on the ball he should have rang the cops himself.

Now I could be wrong here but that would be theft and he could be charged. How can he go in late at night cut the padlocks of and get his boat out with out following the same procedures as everyone else. Surely he should go for a row on this issue because the liquidators would want to know if he owned the boat or the company in which case they would sell it off.

Stu

FNQCairns
28-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Did any punters get to know this dealer...you know made a one way relationship...you know like lots say they should, you know like it's the customers fault they cant get fair treatment....you know like punter pays too much and dealer accepts it, you know......::)

cheers fnq

ZigZag
28-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi Chamelion

Yes my neighbour did get his boat back. I dont know the details though.

Mindi
28-03-2009, 04:13 PM
I just got through reading the article in the Sunshine Coast Daily about QBW. One guy drove up from Brisbane to get his boat and camped out front of the shop all night, he told reporters that the owner come in during the late hours of Wednesday night after the liquidators had been in to collect two boats of his, he also cut the padlock from the gate which was placed there by the liquidators and before he disappeared into the night he put a new padlock on the gate. The guy from Brisbane asked him he wanted his boat out of their and the owner said to get of private property or he will call the police, if he was on the ball he should have rang the cops himself.

Now I could be wrong here but that would be theft and he could be charged. How can he go in late at night cut the padlocks of and get his boat out with out following the same procedures as everyone else. Surely he should go for a row on this issue because the liquidators would want to know if he owned the boat or the company in which case they would sell it off.

Stu

Well he has risked a lot I would think...what you describe would be classic break and enter wouldnt it..?

What it shows is the deplorable position customers are in when a business fails and the lengths some customers are driven to. If the customer had some rights this behaviour would not arise. If the story is true....repeat...IF the story is true then why wouldn't a dealer with any integrity at all tell customers the day before to remove their boats before handing the business over to administrators ..?...that is what happened at a very popular dealership which closed nearly 12 months ago I know from personal experience. He was not giving away assets, he was stopping other people's property from getting tangled in the business failure. But he had a reputation for integrity....that's not to say QBW dont..! maybe they were ambushed by their financers and had no warning...who knows.

picaloau
28-03-2009, 09:34 PM
hi all,
My hubby & I went down to qbw today.
Our sons Jetski is locked inthe showroom yard.
I took some photos and also met the landlord of the building the service dept occupies. He said the administrators are Ramsay Clout at cotton tree.
He also said that it he had heard that there may have been a split with directors that has caused this to happen. I was just happy to see our ski still therehopefully monday I will get some clue as to what to do next.

Cheers
Pic

Mindi
29-03-2009, 07:46 AM
How do you navigate the ASIC site to find out about these companys going to the wall.
Thanks
Troy

Go to http://www.search.asic.gov.au/gns001.html

then type in the coy name and search...you need to choose the result that says "PTY LTD' and not QLD and the page will display Administartion if relevant. See TABS as an example...

nothing there yet for QBW may take a little while.

PinHead
29-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Hi Stu
Mark

There is a union..the AMWU ...they would take anyone.
That's right..the unions want higher wages..prices go up...no one pays the higher prices..business goes broke.
The unions cannot do a thing once a company has gone into liquidation...and I bet they never offer to put some of their funds into supporting a struggling business..yet they can sponsor a football team. Unionism in its orignal form was great but these days...no place whatsoever in industry.

Outsider1
29-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Go to http://www.search.asic.gov.au/gns001.html

then type in the coy name and search...you need to choose the result that says "PTY LTD' and not QLD and the page will display Administartion if relevant. See TABS as an example...

nothing there yet for QBW may take a little while.

You can also do the search off the main ASIC home page these days. Just search the name in the Search ASIC Registers section on the right and it will come up with the same results;

http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic.nsf

Cheers

Dave

Mindi
05-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Interesting that even though the press reports said gone into administration there is still no indication of that on the ASIC website after ten days so maybe it is not the case after all..? I dont know what the notification period is of course..?

PinHead
05-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Interesting that even though the press reports said gone into administration there is still no indication of that on the ASIC website after ten days so maybe it is not the case after all..? I dont know what the notification period is of course..?

they have 2 names listed..one a business name..one a company..the BN is under the jusridiction of Qld Fair trading...depends whether the business or company is under administration whether it is listed on the ASIC site.

Wear the fox hat
12-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Finga,
Yes, they did have personalised number plates on the company vehicles & they started with QBW... Noteably, one was a very new looking Land Cruiser & another was a very new looking Hilux or Mitsubishi Triton style vehicle. As for whatever other vehicles they had, who knows???

WTFH

bigfella23
17-04-2009, 11:38 AM
There was a bit of "funny business" with this one. A lot of suppliers got caught with these guys.
It is an issue , not a lot of fisho's understand that when these shops shut down , in many cases the suppliers have done thier money.
This year alone , our company has torn up over $100K in closed down boat shops.
If it keeps going , thier will be fewer suppliers , and less choice.

Mindi
17-04-2009, 04:08 PM
So what's the story..? still no sign of registered as being under Administration..? has anyone had a look to see if they are still trading..? The ASIC site shows Queensland Boating World Pty Ltd as operational as normal.

kitty_cat
17-04-2009, 05:13 PM
cut the paddlock and retreive your boat/jetski
my opinion only, but whats yours is yours and if the owner (if true ) done it i would not even think twice dont wait for night looks suspicious $10 for new paddlock dont leave it open lock up after yourself but if QBW dont look after there customers look after yourself i know how hard i worked for my boat and damed if id let someone else tell what i can and cant do with whats mine , harsh i know but its allright for them to be harsh catch 22 and ill take it my way rather than theres
wayne

FNQCairns
17-04-2009, 05:23 PM
cut the paddlock and retreive your boat/jetski
my opinion only, but whats yours is yours and if the owner (if true ) done it i would not even think twice dont wait for night looks suspicious $10 for new paddlock dont leave it open lock up after yourself but if QBW dont look after there customers look after yourself i know how hard i worked for my boat and damed if id let someone else tell what i can and cant do with whats mine , harsh i know but its allright for them to be harsh catch 22 and ill take it my way rather than theres
wayne

Would be nice although you would end up with a criminal conviction and none wants one of those, this country's people are far to sophisticated and callous to be bothered with even someone convicted because of good character.

cheers fnq

Mindi
17-04-2009, 06:48 PM
does someone still have a boat stuck there...???

PinHead
17-04-2009, 06:54 PM
So what's the story..? still no sign of registered as being under Administration..? has anyone had a look to see if they are still trading..? The ASIC site shows Queensland Boating World Pty Ltd as operational as normal.

The reality is..ASIC is a toothless tiger..they have no power and no will to use the little power they have. They are just like the BSA..what point is there in having a regulatory body when they can do nothing when a company folds..complete and utter waste of time and money.

Fisher-Too
17-04-2009, 09:48 PM
The reality is..ASIC is a toothless tiger..they have no power and no will to use the little power they have. They are just like the BSA..what point is there in having a regulatory body when they can do nothing when a company folds..complete and utter waste of time and money.

Toothless tigers and golden tooth rats, the whole box and dice/ process, no accountability,...... Bla bla bla for another 3 paragraphs, ASIC are only interested in the front page cases...Yah, the easy upfront vote/ new budget winners, So spot on PinHead

Mindi
17-04-2009, 10:13 PM
I dont think thats the point... presumably if a Pty Ltd company (ie...QBW Pty Ltd) appoints an administrator then the administrator notifies ASIC and their database reflects that notification....that doesnt seem to have happened...so have administrators been appointed..? or have they just "closed"...whether ASIC is good or bad at their jhob is another thing

Fisher-Too
17-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Bigfella23 got it right, if it keeps going, there will be fewer suppliers and less choices, ... I wish more people thought like that, the question should be - what are we doing to protect our beloved industaries, and what is industary doing to protect suppliers and consumers. It shouldn't be hard, just good business,

Donny Boy
18-04-2009, 02:52 PM

You forgot to mention that they still take money from you every year, so that you are registered and seen to be "reputable and conducting your business in a proper manner".

Then, they still do nothing.........................

PinHead
18-04-2009, 03:18 PM
You forgot to mention that they still take money from you every year, so that you are registered and seen to be "reputable and conducting your business in a proper manner".

Then, they still do nothing.........................

LOL..you got that right and they get upset if you do not send in the minutes of your annual meeting blah blah blah.

I do not know how long they take to update their website.. could take weeks or more.

Always_offshore
18-04-2009, 04:44 PM
cru marine at redcliffe shut shop 2 weeks ago,everything is being auctiouned on site on 22nd april

Donny Boy
19-04-2009, 06:24 AM
cru marine at redcliffe shut shop 2 weeks ago,everything is being auctiouned on site on 22nd april

Jeez................ 2 in one thread !!! :o