PDA

View Full Version : Townsville - Tuff in the Ruff

Alchemy
24-03-2009, 10:19 PM
I'd been watching the forecast all week. It never changed from 20 - 25kn and 25 - 30kn offshore with seas to 3m, but the waverider off TVL was only recording 1.3m average wave height, the weather station had winds at 5 - 10kn and the sun was shining. Sure there were stronger readings up and down the coast from TVL, but it had been two months since Alchemy hit the water. So at midday Saturday the decision was made to return to our nannygai spot X. Anywhere else wasn't in mind as if we were going to chance a rough trip we wanted to go somewhere reliable......

About 4pm Matt and I launched at Ross Ck, cruised across a slightly bumpy Cleveland Bay, then cruised another 60 odd km further out. The bumps got bigger, but weren't too bad and we arrived at X at 6pm. The first thing I found was nothing. Normally this spot is loaded with bait, but there was bugger all on the sounder. None the less the pick went over as the tide was slack, and I hoped things would improve as the run started. Well, not to bore you with words about nothing, we caught nothing and the winds increased and the seas heightened.

We sort shelter from the building conditions, had a feed and slept to sunrise. Sunday morning and we poked out from our shelter to find a solid sea running, but little wind. We tried again, boating a couple of keepers and a nice gold spot cod, but not one nannygai. We lost countless rigs to the thieving schoolie macs, and also to the sharks. Matt was bricked by one really good fish that we suspect to have been a nannygai, but that was it. By 1130 Sunday morning we decided our gamble hadn't paid off and headed for home.

Out of all our great trips to spot X, and not having fished it for four months it finally failed us. Despite the poor result and rough conditions it was still better than sitting at home. Another plus was that there were plenty of parks at the ramp!

Regards,
Dave.

only one pic....

disorderly
24-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Too bad Dave...Is the freezer looking a bit bare mate?

Funny that about your Nanny spot finally not firing for once...

Took another ausfisher out to mine before Xmas ...I'd bagged out the trip before then got 16 nannies the trip after at the Mission beach M@G but the trip in between with the ausfisher we worked really hard for just a few ...it was the first time in 2 years that it had let me down...oh well I guess thats fishing...

I was hoping to get out around the new moon later this week but I dont think it will happen....Damn weather..

Scott

Wahoo
25-03-2009, 05:04 AM
Dave, do you fish this X spot of yours anytime? i found every time i am a few days too early or few days latter i seem to do nowhere as good as when the moon is on 1/2 with neap tides

Daz

levinge
25-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Sorry to hear that Dave, been a while since I've wet a line also.

Hoping for fairer weather once the cyclone buggers off...

Still its given me time to service a few of my older reels..

jarhead
25-03-2009, 05:31 PM
I know the feeling, usually happens when u push the envelope, better luck next time, nice cod.

Cheers Wal

ronnien
25-03-2009, 06:22 PM
dave,
what sort of gaff is that???

ron.

batten
25-03-2009, 06:54 PM
sorry to here it alchemy. i had a look for the waverider bouys and i found them, but it was only the wave height there, where did u happen to get the winds from.thanks

backlash08
26-03-2009, 05:04 AM
oh well Dave, some days it just doesnt work out hey
cheers - Craig

ifishcq1
26-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Yeah Guys

I understand the frustration I was just checking the charts and it looks like we aren't getting any relief from these rotten bloody wind and 2-3m seas till after Wed next week or even longer

The boat has spiderwebs building faster than I can clear them without a run in the salt

Hope it gets better soon for all of us
Cheers
SL

Alchemy
26-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Scott, we still have some fish but not too much.

Daz, I haven't been keeping a log so can't say for certain but do know that I have fished at all different stages of moon and tide phases. Thanks for your in-sight though. I'll keep it in mind.

Brett, nothing to be sorry about. Thats fishing. Just hope it doesn't happen to often!

Ron, gaff is a Top Shot. Got it from Wellseys Tackle via mail order.

Batten, for the actual wind data I use Seabreeze, BOM and Aims.
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/qld2.asp#Townsville
http://www.bom.gov.au/marine/maps/qld-coastal-stations-map.shtml
http://data.aims.gov.au/awsqaqc/do/start.do

Wal, Craig, SL... thanks for your comments. Seems like it has been blowing for months up here.

Regards,
Dave.

backlash08
26-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Scott, we still have some fish but not too much.

Daz, I haven't been keeping a log so can't say for certain but do know that I have fished at all different stages of moon and tide phases. Thanks for your in-sight though. I'll keep it in mind.

Brett, nothing to be sorry about. Thats fishing. Just hope it doesn't happen to often!

Ron, gaff is a Top Shot. Got it from Wellseys Tackle via mail order.

Batten, for the actual wind data I use Seabreeze, BOM and Aims.
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/qld2.asp#Townsville
http://www.bom.gov.au/marine/maps/qld-coastal-stations-map.shtml
http://data.aims.gov.au/awsqaqc/do/start.do

Wal, Craig, SL... thanks for your comments. Seems like it has been blowing for months up here.

Regards,
Dave.

Dave, same down in the SE, weather is a shocker....no fun at all!!

cheers - Craig

levinge
27-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Yeah Dave, seems like the last good weekend was the Aust Day trip to Mission.

Bring on the cooler weather, hopefully it will flatten out a little for a while!!!

Heading down to the Haughton this weekend, fishing out of a mates Trophy Sat morning right thru to Sunday Lunch. Should be fun, he knows the system quite well. I'll be the deckie for once, just gotta remember how to pull the anchor TIC

gucci84
27-03-2009, 08:29 PM
hey levinge i'll see you down there i'm heading to the haughton for a arvo fish on sat and if goes well maybe sun too
white with red decal stacer 4.69 nomad named gucci

have a good one
casey

levinge
27-03-2009, 08:55 PM
No worries, mates boat is a plate Trophy no paint