PDA

View Full Version : Formosa centre cab 5.8m with twin motors

hakuna
24-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Looking at getting the new tomahawk with twin 75hp motors.
Has anyone have a 5.8m with twins that could discuss performance and some photos

cheers

hakuna

dean grieve
24-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Looking at getting the new tomahawk with twin 75hp motors.
Has anyone have a 5.8m with twins that could discuss performance and some photos

cheers

hakuna
it has not been done yet but good idea

hakuna
24-03-2009, 02:38 PM
twins have been done on the standard 5.8m centre cabin a few times I have been told. Hoping is will be someone reading this

cheers

hakuna

nicko_
24-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Have you got your heart set on a formosa? I was in at coorparoo marine today and the bloke there said the formosas are a shocking ride. Not sure if this was just because he didnt carry them and wanted me to buy one of his.

Tassie JR
24-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Hey mate dunno about the formosa's but the old boy had twin 60 hp yammie 4 strokes on his 5.0 fisher (5.7 ext) it went ok bit underpowered, but im sure 75's would be ok on a 580 formosa as there aint as much weight comparing the two boats. He now has a 150 zuke on it, the reason why he went bac to the single motor was the 60's were underpowerd and twin 80's or 90's was gonna b alot more exspensive then 1 single 150. it flies now, i think you will get away with twins on it. personally if you can affor the extra cash i would be going for a fisher, riptide or something in that class, u would get a much better boat imho.

cheers tassie JR

levinge
25-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Have you got your heart set on a formosa? I was in at coorparoo marine today and the bloke there said the formosas are a shocking ride. Not sure if this was just because he didnt carry them and wanted me to buy one of his.

Own one and unless you've been onboard its just heresay.

The ride is actually quite good, I fish off Townsville and we have some ordinary crossed up seas at times and the Formosa actually rides it quite well and yes it does bang but they all do!!!

As for twin on a Formosa, my question is why do you want put twins on????

Mine is powered by a 135hp Honda and I have no troubles with planing, running and economy is excellent. Twins IMO would just asking for troubles...

Noelm
25-03-2009, 02:43 PM
twins as such are not asking for trouble, there is some advantages, (quite a
few) but also some drawbacks, it is up to ypou to decide if the pluses are worth more than the negatives

WalFish
25-03-2009, 08:46 PM
G'day, new member so I'll give this a go..... Gotta agree with levinge. Went for a test run in a Formosa 580 Centre Cab on saturday with Dean from the Tinny Shack. I would have bought it without the test as it looked so good on the trailer, but best to be sure. The 135hp Honda is fantastic- plenty of power and so quiet. Have ordered a Tomahawk in the 580 Half Cab so there is plenty of room for my deckies (aka kids) ;D

WalFish

hakuna
26-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Thankyou to all, I do mostly night fishing off the gold coast/ Evans Head, Rooneys at fraser, done it for years, most of the time you are out there by yourself. Second motor for safety.I have a fully tricked up Hained traveler tc200, Brillant boat but with my kids now left home is too big for me to handle and especially anchor, hence the centre cab.
Still havent decided, will go for a test drive, having a look at a goldwing excalabur centre cab this weekend as well
cheers
Hakuna