PDA

View Full Version : Bought another Yak

PinHead
23-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Talking to Mal from Hobie at the tinnie & tackle show...was interested in a single yak..lo and behold mal says he will have a couple of used yaks after the finals of the ABT yak comp..hmmmmmmmmmmm...live well and all the goodies on board...I ordered one ...cannot wait to get it...LOOK OUT...I might even enter the comps next time aorund..that could be a giggle for anyone to watch

themissus
24-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Noice. How many does he have? Been thinking about a yak for a while, after see the Wild River Bass dvds. Ball park figure price wise?(under stand if you don't want to reveal it)
Cheers Kim.

Just_chips
24-03-2009, 07:50 PM
I hope you don't end up with mine. I've been bashing and crashing around the Forster oyster leases all day today. Just can't get the hang of these things without a paddle????

Kev

PinHead
25-03-2009, 12:20 AM
did you get any fish ????
be careful with my new yak..sheesh..I don't want it scratched

Just_chips
26-03-2009, 01:05 PM
I only got 1 just legal fish for the 2 days of the final, but I haven't ever given the tounament fishing much of a go before, I might try and get a bit more practice in before next year as the ABT were very pleased with the whole competition and it will be running again bigger and better next year.

Those Forster bream are horrible canny buggers. They are very smart and either ignore the perfectly placed cast that you have just landed in front of them, or if they do take it, they rub you off in the racks in a matter of seconds :-[ , even on 14pd leader. It was probaly one of the most frustrating 2 days of fishing that I have ever had :'( .

Even local young gun Russell Babekuhl had trouble landing good fish from the yak, he eventually admitted that he had underestimated the difficulty of kayak fishing as you just don't have the leaverage to pull out those bigger fish and constantly found himself getting dragged into the racks.

It is just one more challenge for potential kayak fishermen to overcome.

At least it wasn't my yak that was getting all the scratches all over it ::)

I believe the hobie outbacks that we used were around $2400 mark fitted out as they were for the final, but these may go a bit chaper as some of them look decidely second had now:-/

Kev

PinHead
26-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Kev..those yaks with the livewell etc are worth just over 3k new.
2400 is about right as standard without any other gear on them

Ausfish
27-03-2009, 08:00 PM
If you are fishing the racks or rocks, just put your peddles in back the front. This way you can cast in front of you and if you get hooked up you can peddle and you will go backwards from the rocks. You can still use your paddle if you need to go forward. It will take a bit of getting use to but is a massive advantage over the paddle guys.

If you are in a twin Hobie, once you get to your spot you have one set of peddles in the normal way and one set in backwards. One person then controls the forward motion and one the reverse.

castlemaine
29-03-2009, 12:04 PM
If you are fishing the racks or rocks, just put your peddles in back the front. This way you can cast in front of you and if you get hooked up you can peddle and you will go backwards from the rocks. You can still use your paddle if you need to go forward. It will take a bit of getting use to but is a massive advantage over the paddle guys.

If you are in a twin Hobie, once you get to your spot you have one set of peddles in the normal way and one set in backwards. One person then controls the forward motion and one the reverse.

Great ideas are often the simplest. The reverse paddle trick is a great idea.:) 8-)

jim_bream
09-04-2009, 10:25 AM

You were never backwards in coming forwards to peddle your awesome (oarsome?) paddle ideas were you?

(Sorry, I HAD to get that one in there :P )
Jimbo

P.S. Here is another one:
'Hobie yakkers don't make waves about putting in the legwork, they just put their best foot forward without making a splash or rocking the boat'
Groan..... ::)

Leigh77
11-04-2009, 05:40 PM

Just make sure the guy up the front has the control of the reverse gear...Thats a nasty prank just waiting to happen.

Foxy4
13-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Wow that is a simple trick that not many would think about trying out... I am yet to get my first Yak for myself and son.