PDA

View Full Version : Solution Found For Washing Salt Off Trailer

Goldfinch
23-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Just in case any of you guys haven't seen this invention. I have been thinking of rigging up a 12volt pump, water supply and pressure hose to my 4wd so that I can wash the trailer wheels and brakes as soon as I unload the boat in the water each time so the trailer is not sitting there all day covered in salt water.

Anyway....whilst at the tinnie and tackle show yesterday I ventured to the 4wd area and in the Repco exibit area I walked past this display demonstrating a portable 12volt water pressure cleaner called Car Cube. It's a 13litre, 12 volt, pressure sprayer, all in one with 5 metres of power cable, 6 metres of hose, adjustable trigger, water filter etc. Got it for $129. Normal price from Repco is $159.

I thought it was a great idea and also useful on the boat if you don't have fresh water dec wash hooked up. Not much more than the cost of a good pump really.

www.carcube.com.au

Very happy chappy !!!

dave

Bill_Corten
23-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi Dave

Well done with buying the Car Cube to hose your trailer off at the ramp.
I bought one from Repco at the T&T show last year and use it every day that my boat goes out on the water.
It only takes a few minutes of time to hose the salt off the trailer and so far it has worked very efficiently and definitely helped minimise trailer corrosion when using ramps with no washdown facilities. Also handy when camping off road too. I'm sure you will find plenty of ueses for it and get real value for money.

Cheers
Bill

peterbo3
23-03-2009, 02:39 PM
$8.99 garden sprayer from Bunnings works OK too.

Chimo
23-03-2009, 03:23 PM
the carcube looks good and if $s were there why not.

I use a garden spray (Bunnings Style) with a little soap in the water to do the brakes etc after launching but for a good wash down at the ramp the fresh water deckwash thats in the boat works a treat with an extension hose and with the same trigger nozzle. Using the deck wash means the water in the boat (50L) is always being turned over and is fresh for showers etc

Cheers
Chimo

tenzing
23-03-2009, 06:58 PM
the carcube looks good and if $s were there why not.

I use a garden spray (Bunnings Style) with a little soap in the water to do the brakes etc after launching but for a good wash down at the ramp the fresh water deckwash thats in the boat works a treat with an extension hose and with the same trigger nozzle. Using the deck wash means the water in the boat (50L) is always being turned over and is fresh for showers etc

Cheers
Chimo
Yeah same here chimo
Empty the deckwash on the brakes and hubs at the ramp, and do the rest with the hose at home.
Brendan

And yes its tank at home

Goldfinch
23-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Hey Bill,
The girl on the stand mentioned that you had told them you owned one. That's the reason I bought it.

I was concerned that it may not have enough pressure but I figured if you use one it must be OK.

I tried a garden spray but the pressure wasn't to my liking.

Cheers
Dave

Bill_Corten
23-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi Dave

The car cube has plenty of pressure to do the job thoroughly and enough tank water to give the trailer a fair dinkum hose down, not just a mild lick, after parking it full of salt water in the sun where it would otherwise sit until the end of the day when it is retrieve time.
No doubt a garden sprayer will do the job to a fair degree, but I believe a trailer that had been seriously dunked in the water at launch time requires a fair soaking to remove the salt immediately after launching the boat.
To be fair, that is when I use the car cube, not at the boat retrieval end of the day. I really like the idea of using the freshwater deckwash to clean the trailer after retrieving, but on a day of good weather I try to use the fresh through the deckwash to wash the rods and reels down on the way home across the Bay or if needs be, at the ramp while the crew gather their belongings and or fish. I also spray a bit of a cheap water dispersant/anti corrosion spray on the reels to eliminate just one more job when I get home where there is plenty of tank water to clean the trailer thoroughly.
Good to see your thread has generated plenty of discussion and drawn out other good ideas from other keen boaties. I look forward to seeing some more creative ideas of how we use water wisely and protect our hard earned property at the same time.

Cheers
Bill

dnej
23-03-2009, 11:33 PM
How would this unit be, as a deck wash?
David

Mr__Bean
23-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Most large boat ramp locations have a volunteer rescue organisation adjacent to them, could you imagine the amont of donations they would get if you could back your boat down into a freshwater dip tank before you drove home.

- Darren

Jeremy
24-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Most large boat ramp locations have a volunteer rescue organisation adjacent to them, could you imagine the amont of donations they would get if you could back your boat down into a freshwater dip tank before you drove home.

- Darren

Spot on brilliant idea. Like most others, I like to flush my outboard and wash down as soon as I retrieve. There are alot fewer taps available to use at ramps now than say 5 years ago (we have lost fisherman's is, Nudgee, Mooloolaba to name a few).

If the VMR/CG could supply water to flush and wash down - or as you say a tank to dunk the trailer - we would all be happy. I would pay say $5 for 5 - 10 mins.

Jeremy

Chimo
24-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Wash down ramp into fresh water close to the sea would be excellent. I used to dump my trailer and boat into an inland river after trips to the sea and after 9yrs the trailer was still like new.

Better not allow people to flush their outboard at the same time tho unless they instal a filtration system with oil skimmer or they change the water after every boat!! (Great water saver that)

Cheers
Chimo

foxx510
24-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm just waiting for the micro desalination version of the car cube to come out......

selous
24-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Anyway....whilst at the tinnie and tackle show yesterday I ventured to the 4wd area and in the Repco exibit area I walked past this display demonstrating a portable 12volt water pressure cleaner called Car Cube. It's a 13litre, 12 volt, pressure sprayer, all in one with 5 metres of power cable, 6 metres of hose, adjustable trigger, water filter etc. Got it for $129. Normal price from Repco is $159.

www.carcube.com.au (http://www.carcube.com.au)

Very happy chappy !!!

dave

They're $119 at Autobarn - reduced 20% from their regular price of $149

Cheers

Rob

black runner
24-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Could you put a pressure reducer on the cube and connect it to the garden hose flushing attachment installed on later outboards? A couple of times a year I goaway to a place where a ready fresh supply for flushing is scarce. But if I took a couple of extra 20 litre water containers, I could at least do a couple of flushes while away. What do you think?

Bill_Corten
25-03-2009, 09:43 AM
G'day Blackrunner

The click on fitting of the car cube is a smaller size (12mm) than the standard size garden tap click on fittings so unless you can find an adapter it wont fit on to the click on flush fitting on the outboard.

David (DNEJ)

It would work as a deckwash to rinse the boat off with fresh water after you have cleaned all the fish mess off with salt water first. Would not be too keen on using it as a salt water deckwash though.

Cheers
Bill

Goldfinch
27-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the comments Bill.
I thought the same about using the Car Cube to wash my rods, lures etc on the way back into the boat ramp. I gave it a good workout yesterday and 13 litres goes a long way. Also have a 20litre backup in the ute just in case. All tank water BTW.

I was surprised the Car Cube didn't have a standard garden hose connector. That would've been a big bonus.

Cheers
Dave

fRuItCaKe
28-03-2009, 12:03 PM
They're $119 at Autobarn - reduced 20% from their regular price of $149

Cheers

Rob

Where??

I couldn't find it on their website or in the latest catalogue??

selous
28-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Where??

I couldn't find it on their website or in the latest catalogue??

I picked one up last week from Autobarn at New Line Rd, Dural for $119. There was a pile of them near the front door with a sign saying 20% off the regular price of $149. I assumed that was across the chain and not just one store only.

Cheers

Rob

chucknduck
29-03-2009, 12:46 AM
The Salt Slayer http://www.saltslayer.com is the marine version of the carcube with slightly higher pressure and an additional adapter for direct connection to ear muffs for engine flushing. Bias have them for $160.00.

Mick

kzrocky
29-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey Bill,
The girl on the stand mentioned that .....
Dave

Ahhh, the girl on the stand!!!!!!!!!!

Donny Boy
30-03-2009, 07:55 PM
$8.99 garden sprayer from Bunnings works OK too.

In fact.............it works perfectly & has 6 other blokes saying .....

Why that ??........................What a sh!t hot idea !!!!!...and easy..!!!!

Roughasguts
31-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks guy's just cause of this thread I just bought one of these cubes.

Thinking I would use it camping washing the salt of the Kyak before tying it back on the roof and preventing rust. And rinsing the cooking stuff and getting the sand of the kids feet before jumping back in the Paj, also washing the sap of the caravan. Not to mention the boat trailer and the quick rince it will now get after it's dunking.

Anyway I gave the unit a bit of a run and it removes the sand from under the Pajero's wheel guards easily, so good for after a beach run. Rinses of the car okay and won't hurt the kids if you give them a spray! a slight sting at 6 inchess then harmles after that, so good for getting the sand off.

It barely cleans the grass off the lawn mower and will not clean your concrete drive, (But I have a 1850psi one for that).

All in all it's pretty good quality, adjustable spray fan, pressure cut off switch, long hose, nice and quiet and does exactly what the box say's it will do.

I got it from auto barn the list price was $149, I tried to get it for 119 but he wouldn't move that low and got it for $140.00.

Pretty happy with it, but it's not me favourite toy in the garage.

Chimo
01-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Hi RAG

Got to ask, Whats the favourite toy?

Cheers
Chimo

Roughasguts
01-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi Chimo, mate would you beleive me Atom rotary tiller powered by a Honda 1.1- 4 banger.

She's cut out 4 inchess of dirt for me 60 sqm slab, done me lawns and de thatched and aerated.

With a small mod I reckon she could move the caravan around the back yard, it's a gutsy little machine and heaps better than 8 hp units at a fractiom of the cost.

Damn I need a girl friend don't I.

Chimo
01-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Hey RAG

Good to have an interest!:P

If your wife's like mine she'll let you / me have one but then I / we have to find somewhere else to live!:-[

Don't know about you but I cant afford a divorce!:o

Re your caravan mover theres a guy in Vic who makes (or used to) plane movers that would work a treat for your van, boat etc Used to have a Honda motor and went well. I used one as a base to make a direct drill seeder for tree seed and also any grass / crop needing to be planted under a thick mulch. Used a planter unit we got from Zimbabwe before the wheels fell off that place.>:( Two halves with concave cones tapering to half a sharp point that came together as that part entered the straw / ground with seed / fertilizer fed and delivered to the point. Also mounted a spray unit on it the control the weeds. Worked a treat;D

Let me know if you want contact info.

Cheers
Chimo

Roughasguts
03-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi Chimo, nah I can't afford a divorce either, but the wife would get half of nothing so that's ummmm nothing, so there be even less for the girlfriend.

So I'll have to stick to beer, memories boats and gadgets to amuse me.

Thank's for the contact info on the plane mover, but I should just get of me Ar$e and build a 3 sided carport for the van.

All these jobs I start and hardly finish one, before I have another two, on the go,
That could be the Beer that does that though.

Cheers.

rando
04-04-2009, 11:27 AM
I wonder how many people flush out the cross members on their trailers.
I only recently acquired a boat and had the misfortune to have to replace the axle. During that exercise I discovered the drain holes in all the cross members.
I am always amazed at the amount of sand etc that comes out after each flush.

Lucky_Phill
04-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Very interesting thread, this one.

Boat and reel wash to Zimbabwe seeders........... :o ;D

I caught up with 2 AF members at the T & T show and they had bought the Carcube.

The Saltslayer looks like a great idea ( similar ) to CarCube.

When I first bought my trailer I covered it in Tectyl 506 and no signs of rust yet... Think that what it was... Bill ? anyway, I also flush my motor every now and again with Salt-X solution, again, purchased at the T & T show.

Yes, rando, I hose out the crossmembers of the trailer especially after visiting Fraser. Hope the EPA don't see me as I seem to bring home a bucket full each time tucked away in nook and crannies in the trailer. There is or at least WAS a hose point at Waddy.... that got used consistantly.

I don't think the price of the CarCube...Saltslayer is that important, what is, is that it works and does the job it is supposed to do. I would much rather pay the extra dollars and have a quality product that works, than a cheap ' imitator '..... ;)

Good to see you active on here too, Bill.

Thanks to all who posted opinions etc.

Phill
. ><> ><> ><> ><>