PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Boats

Nanny King NQ
23-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Guys,

I was thinking of selling the signature and buying a 595 center cab, Can anyone tell how they handle the rough stuff and what they're like at rest.

Any pros and cons would be appreciated. I am only interested iin the hull as i will fit it out to my specs.

I want a center cab for a bit of protection for the family but it still give me 360 deg of fishing.

http://www.freedomboats.com.au/m_offshore.htm link to web site for the boat.

Cheers....8-)

PADDLES
23-03-2009, 10:34 AM
i don't have a 595 nanny, but have a 2004 620 elite so can only comment on the brand in general.

the build quality is very good.

the level of finish and also standard equipment is not as high as many other brands (this is reflected in the price)

the hull is lighter than the other big brands but about the same as a comparable signature so they won't ride as good as say a seafarer or a haines hunter who's hull weighs 300kg's more but still handle sloppy conditions ok. the 595 is a slightly heavier hull than the 620/640 range though.

for what we wanted as a family they are extremely good value, maybe for someone who wantsa hard core offshore boat that will handle tough conditions there's better boats out there.

i guess it's a matter of figuring out how often you might be caught out in 25kt's and big seas and whether you are prepared to pay the extra money to buy the boat that will handle those conditions better. how big is the signature you are planning on replacing?

Nanny King NQ
23-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Cheers for that paddles, I am considering selling the 600LE so it is 6.1m, but a cuddy so no walk around and have to acess the anchor from the cabin.

No 360 deg fishing either so it is a bit of a bummer.

I really dont know how many times I would be caught out in 35knt + winds as the worst i really go out in is 15knts.

PADDLES
23-03-2009, 12:22 PM
we're about the same for our boating too mate. if it gets much above 15 we don't go out and if we're already out we start thinking about heading home.

well maybe the 595 is a good proposition for you then, the freedom boats are certainly priced right, i reckon they're a good thing depending on what your usage will be.

Mindi
23-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Arent they made by/owned by Aust Marine Centre in Springwood...? as their own house brand..? Maybe thats not right...the factory is on the Sunshine Coast I think.

Nanny King NQ
23-03-2009, 03:34 PM
We will stay out though if it gets up to 25 knt when we are already out just becomes a bit bumpy on the way home.

Alchemy
23-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi Rod,

A couple of things I'd consider;

1. I think you'd find it hard to fish all around in that boat in anything but dead calm conditions. I say that as from the pics the side decks appear to be at gunwale height. Even on Alchemy with the wide deck and lowish height it would be hard to fish from the side. Accessing the front deck in a sea needs a good hand hold along the way too.

2. Can you upsize the fuel tank as 175 litres may cut it fine depending how far you go and what motor goes on?

Regards,
Dave.

levinge
23-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Rod, Nice but as dave has said, ugly in the shitty stuff, you'd be restricted to stern fishing. I'd hate to have to pull the anchor on an ugly day.

My thoughts look at the Formosa's again, more bang for your buck me old matey

PADDLES
24-03-2009, 06:59 AM
g'day mindi, they're up at noosa somewhere. don't know what their relationship is with australian marine centre other than as a dealer. not too many dealers around but i believe one of the issues with dealers (certainly the one i know who was looking to take them on at one stage) was that they didn't mass produce and the waiting times for boats could sometimes be longer than a lot of customers liked. good things come to those who wait i reckon.

Nanny King NQ
24-03-2009, 07:34 AM
Dave and Brett,

I guess I should have clarified what i wanted in more detail. The walkaround whilst being at gunwale height will obviously be only used in decednt conditions. Freedom have thought about it and put a hatch for anchor retreaval. Dave with the fuel tank size I am unsure if I can go bigger, that would be nice. I am seriously thinking of the Honda BF 135 or 150, the fuel figures from mission with Brett were to good to gopast, especially on a boat that is roughly the same weight. Haveing said that with the 175 litres i should have a range of about 160 nautical miles and if I need any more fuel i always have the jerry back up option like I am using know.

Brett, More bang for my buck they are about the same price, I think the freedom are a little more expensive about $56000 for one totally fitted out. I know 8k is 8k however I really want the ride of glass again you just cant go past it.

Alchemy
24-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Rod,

Sounds like reasonable value for money. There is a nice, nearly new (b4 all the BS) 6m walk around Fisher for sale in the boat section too. Though a bit more than 56k.

Regards,
Dave.

levinge
24-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Fair enough, ya must be getting old in the legs there Rod.

When you get her give me a call, interested in having a look (just a look), Luv me Plate...

mirage
24-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Nanny,

I had the cuddy cab version of the same hull for a couple of years. It was called the seasport. The boat was good value for money family boat and well built but in my opinion was not ideal for offshore.

As already mentioned the hull is quite light compared to other brands and it used to bang like a tinny when the nose came down off the top of a swell or wave. Hitting a wave head on was no broblem, riding up the back of a swell or wave was. I fitted Volvo QL trim tabs to it which improved the problem but never fully fixed it. I had a Suzuki DF175 on it which I was very happy with. A good fit for the boat.

Anyway, a good value boat for the bay and family but probably not for a lot of serious offshore work. Just my opinion.

PADDLES
25-03-2009, 08:58 AM
mirage is pretty much on the money with his comments. all i do to minimise the hull jumping is back off the speed a bit when it gets real rough and trim the nose down with the motor. i only seem to notice the lightness of the hull going head on into sea though and have found the hull to be excellent in a following sea, mind you i've not been in many other boats so there may be better rides out there. the 175 would have been an excellent motor on the 640.