PDA

View Full Version : Close cell foam on bunks

dnej
22-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Has any one slept on a bunk, which has close cell foam as the cushion?
What is your opinion of the foam in this situation.
David

dnej
23-03-2009, 01:18 PM
If close cell foam is any good to sleep on, it would be good to have in the cushions, for flotation reasons.
David

White Pointer
23-03-2009, 11:50 PM
G'day,

Might be good for staying afloat after the boat has sunk!

No, wrong answer - what's it on and what is the flotation standard of the hull?

White Pointer

dnej
24-03-2009, 09:33 AM
White Pointer,
That was what I was thinking.
Either way, it is in a cuddy cabin, so more than likely, they would float up to the top of ths cab.I need to replace the cushions sometime soon, so I was considering that foam, as it is water proof as well.

Not sure about the comfort aspect.
David

dnej
24-03-2009, 12:10 PM
I have done some research and found it is used in cushions.
Now which one?
I have sent some enquiries to different companies, so I will let you know the results.
Wonder which one has the best bouyancy factor
David

Polyethylene Foams versus EVA Foams....

Polyethylene and Ethylene Vinyl Acetate Foams are similar materials and are difficult to tell apart. The main differences are....
Polyethylene Foam is firmer and more resistant to heat.
Eva is softer, more resilient, and has stronger recovery after compression.
In combination, laminations of PE and EVA Foams provide very precise densities for special application requirements.

foxx510
24-03-2009, 01:04 PM
You might have trouble finding some of a low enough density. The softest I've seen is probably those pool noodles. I wonder if it's too hard for mattresses though.

dnej
24-03-2009, 04:33 PM
foxx510,
The main thing is which is the best one for flotation.
Then is that comfortable enough to have a camp on.
Just waiting on the experts to get back to me. They use it in seat cushions, but that is different to having the sane stuff in a bunk situation.
David

foxx510
24-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Fair enough. If you were really keen I guess you could have two layers. The top layer solid, then the bottom layer use a holesaw to put 15mm holes through it to create a lower density. Pain in the arse but it would work and might help reduce mold buildup under the foam.

White Pointer
25-03-2009, 12:45 AM
G'day,

What is the boat and how old is it?

If the boat has a flotation standard it will be on a plate (ABP) close to the helm. If it doesn't plan as exit strategy that doesn't involve sharks.

White Pointer