PDA

View Full Version : Live Bait Tank Finished

Seahorse
22-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Just finished my home made tank.
I put pump in burley bucket, got overflow at top and water only goes to overflow level. Had to make overflow 50mm to stop water from just keep flowing over top drain. Tested it and all works.
Just hope it works on water.
It can be taken out in 30 secs.

greg

Seahorse
22-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Going to take to work and spraypaint it white

Spaniard_King
22-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Where is the inlet??? I hope its at the bottom :(

After a more thorough eamination I can see the inlet.. should work great;)

Seahorse
22-03-2009, 05:56 PM
inlet at bottom. right under outlet

greg

backlash08
22-03-2009, 06:05 PM
in a bit of bumpy sea will the rubber starps hold the weight in place? Might be suprised how much that will want to move around? - just an idea
well done though

Craig

Seahorse
22-03-2009, 06:19 PM
I hope they will hold.
they are the flat rubber ones and when i give esky good pull either way, it doesnt move. Its up ahainst the side rail and bottom of transom.
I guess first trip will tell.

cheers
greg

SgBFish
22-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Greg now you have the same old problem we all have.
Trying not to drop those livies over the side getting the slippery little guys out.
Scott

Seahorse
22-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Ah, my next trip is to the aquarium shop to buy a net or make my own.
Scott i had already thought of that.

greg

Angla
22-03-2009, 07:51 PM
I seem to have a stack of those esky's now. You have found a good use for one. The net sounds like a good choice as an accessory. Happy hunting the bait fish now

Chris

tenzing
22-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Hey chris. Phil brought one over from work the other day, they retail for about a fiver . saves a heap of mucking around.
Got to remember not to leave it in there ,it drowns the buggers
Cheers , Brendan

tenzing
22-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Hey Greg. does it have a passive water intake, or can it only fill with the pump?

tailorboi99
22-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Looks brilliant, brilliant job. How long did it take you?

Tom

Seahorse
22-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Tenz, only fills by pump. i can regulate the flow, and i have put a tap in the line so water doesnt run out when pump is off.

tom,
have been working on it, on and off for a while.
If i had to do another, prob couple hours.

cheers
greg

juju
22-03-2009, 10:03 PM
I have a similar setup (can see it on my av)...only drama i ever had with mine was not clicking the handle up and the lid fell off...now it has a safty line on it...otherwise an esky tank works well the fish stay cool on a hot day too.....i put a y fitting on my line from teh pump and made a hose for washing down the baitboard......mine is bolted onto the back but..when not used as a live bait tank i keep frozen bait in it.....

Seahorse
23-03-2009, 07:26 AM
thats a god idea about washing down bait board. What type of fitting is teh pump. I will also put safety line on lid.
mine will not look so out of place once i paint it.

cheers
greg

juju
23-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Mine was going to be a temp deal....but it just worked so well that ive left it.
in the pics you will see...on the hose up from the pump i have a t fitting (a valve on the tank side directs water into the washdown hose instead of the tank, its easy to reach to switch over, )...the blue hose is a drain for the tank...the big hose is teh drain for the baitboard..

Seahorse
23-03-2009, 06:25 PM
looks good greg.What is the blue pipe. Ionly got 360 pump.
Would it be better to go to the 500?
Does ur water drain back out through the pump?
Mine does, but i got a tap in the line like urs and when iam not running pump i turn tap closed. Is the t piece for the bait board wash?
I had to put a 50mm overflow otherwise water just kept rising in esky.

cheers
greg

juju
23-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I got the 500 pump so it whould have a bit more guts as a wash for the baitboard hose.
The blue hose is connected to a normal skin fitting into the base of the tank as a drain to empty the tank, in pic 3 you can see a plastic valve at the end of the blue hose, you just open to drain the tank...
in pic 2 you can see the valve on the other side of the t fitting...this directs full flow to the washdown hose(at the end of the washdown hose there is a normal twist hose fitting to turn the water on and off(egwhenever the pump is on there is presure to the washdown )
On the other side of that valve that feeds the washdown and the tank is a non -return valve this stops water draining back through the pump.
im at bald hills so if you want to have a look just let me know...

Seahorse
24-03-2009, 06:57 AM
think i might buy a 500.
i will try and get over to have a look.
mine was being painted yest so it blends into the boat.
i like the washdown part. i will check fitting at bias.

cheers
greg

Donny Boy
24-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Simple & practical..................Just how it should be.

More importantly.......They work.........

Great ideas & great work fellas.

Seahorse
24-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Don, i hope it works, but gregs looks pretty good and it works.
I cant wait to get it out and try.
I have decided to put the bait board wash on, so couple minor adjustments to be made.

cheers
greg