PDA

View Full Version : Laser foil vs Permatrim

Bennywise
22-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Hey Guys,

Just came back from the T&T show and was checking out some new Solas propellers and I noticed they also do their own foils. (Laser foil)

Have not been real happy with my SE Sport and was going to change to a Permatrim. Does anyone have a Laser foil? How do you rate them? They are a bit cheaper than the Permatrims as well.

Thanks

Ben

finga
22-03-2009, 05:29 PM
My lazers good :)
Easy to make out of alloy too if you have the right gear ;)
Why do you need one matey?

Seahorse
22-03-2009, 05:33 PM
I would like to know the advantages of having a permatrim.
When do u need to put one on.
I must admit that i have seen a few on boats of all sizes.
I always wondered why?

cheers
greg

Bennywise
22-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Mines good :)
Easy to make out of alloy too if you have the right gear ;)
Why do you need one matey?

Hi finga,

I have a Poly 4.55 tiller with 50hp suzuki 4st on the back and once you add me (100kg) the boat is a little stern heavy.

Hi Seahorse

The foil (in my case) helps lift the stern, reduce porpoising (Poly's are known for) and to get on the plane quicker.

Ben

Seahorse
22-03-2009, 07:43 PM
oh i see ur prob. But as i said , i have seen them on so many boats, tinnies and glass. Do they give a better ride or more speed?

greg

Zooter
22-03-2009, 07:52 PM
More stability but i think you lose a bit of top end speed!

Great for keeping boat up on the plane at lower RPM's! :)

Funny how they work for sum but not others, one of those things i guess.

Angla
22-03-2009, 08:26 PM
I have a SE300 on a 135 Optimax pushing a 575 Outsider. What I find is that 1. it helps the hole shot by adding lift at the stern 2. It helps to stop cavitation when turning tightly. 3. It does not affect top speed as it is not in contact with the water at high speed

I also had one on the previous Rumrunner with a 115 Evinrude and it worked well on there too.

Chris

matmuller85
22-03-2009, 09:40 PM
I got a permatrim on my 140 4strk suzuki on a 5.5 M C/C alloy. Hole shot i grate and good for low speed plane

finga
23-03-2009, 07:03 AM
It's just a shame you have to drill holes in the cav plate to try the foils.
If it wasn't for that you'd be more then welcomed to try my lazer foil.

I made a similar one for Aussiefool when he had his little boat and he was amased the difference it made to his boat.
Wacky do he thought :)

Zooter
23-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I have a SE300 on a 135 Optimax pushing a 575 Outsider. What I find is that 1. it helps the hole shot by adding lift at the stern 2. It helps to stop cavitation when turning tightly. 3. It does not affect top speed as it is not in contact with the water at high speed

I also had one on the previous Rumrunner with a 115 Evinrude and it worked well on there too.

Chris

hey chris in my 4.1 poly the foil actually created more cav'ing in turns, Got me beat, Well it wasnt doing it before i put the foil on,
I Spoke to solas props and he recommended cupping of the prop to eliminate the problem and said that the lift that the foil has created also will make it cav in turns,

Do you think that cause you have a heavier Hull and motor it would have a different effect on yours??

cheers m8 !

Sorry to hijack thread BW :)

Noha
24-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi finga,

I have a Poly 4.55 tiller with 50hp suzuki 4st on the back and once you add me (100kg) the boat is a little stern heavy.

Hi Seahorse

The foil (in my case) helps lift the stern, reduce porpoising (Poly's are known for) and to get on the plane quicker.

Ben

benny i have a 4.55 cc poly and i never noticed or heard of porpoising being a problem with them, i only fitted a permatrim for better hole shot and planning at lower speeds which it does perfectly. cheers