PDA

View Full Version : Bass,

tailorboi99
22-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Hey guys, just wondering where I could catch an Australian bass landbased on lures. I was thinking the upper Brisbane River but how far up? Also what lures work well on Aussie bass?

Cheers Tom

russ81
22-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Hows it going mate

I cant help with locations but every time I have gone for bass the only lures we have ever used are Jackals they aren't cheap at $25 each but they have never failed.

Russ

shayned
22-03-2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.prfma.com.au/prfma/Bank_Fishing_Tips.html

Or check out some maps and try your luck doing the skinny water bass thing.

Bennywise
22-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi Tom,

Use google earth, LB's spots for bass are few and far between in SEQ and you will find most Bass fisho's keep these spots pretty close to their chest. Upper brisbase river is a good place to start.

Ben

PNG1M
22-03-2009, 06:01 PM
When I used to catch bass in the Northern NSW Clarence River area the lure pattern that worked best for me was brown/orange.

I honestly can't remember the brand of the lure but they were essentially brown & tan on top with a kind of yabbie pattern etched in. Then the colour faded to an orange underneath.

It wasn't the the longer minnow style, but more squat fat shaped ones.
That lure pattern worked both trolling and casting.

If I lost one on a snag or something I'd buy another the same. They were very consistent lures.

tailorboi99
22-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks for all your wonderful help guys, I am just dieing to get one. I've heard you can get them near Colleges Crossing?

Cheers Tom

lostandbroke
22-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Hey Tom

There are some good Bass in the Logan River. Try downstream from the weir at Wolffdene. My first ever bass came from there. There's also some huge carp in there.

Al

tailorboi99
22-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey Al, thanks for the advice. Might look into it.

Tom

snagking
22-03-2009, 08:37 PM
http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php

That might give you a bit more help.

snagking
22-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Does anyone know how big the bass in Kurwogbah are?

I know it was stocked, but are they of a decent size?

tailorboi99
22-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Ok thanks Snag, I'll try it later.

Tom

shayned
22-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Does anyone know how big the bass in Kurwogbah are?

I know it was stocked, but are they of a decent size?

Still not there yet but are plus 20cm now.

snagking
23-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Just out of interest ( sorry for hijacking your thread tom :)), how fast do bass grow in impoundments?

bowds13
23-03-2009, 11:20 AM
snagking not to sure about in the wild but having worked at a pet shop for a few year an a hving alot of native in tanks at home the bass seemed to grow id say slowish if they have a good supply of crayfish an shrimp this seems to boost there groth rate iv had a bass at now now for about a year i got him when he was about 3cm long hes now about 14cm but its had good constent feeding an water quailty but it gives you a rough esitmate.

tom iv been lookign at fishing the upper river aswell for bass but iv been having touble finding a good ramp to put in at an trying to get it all organised if i do get aroudn to gettin up there ill give ya some notice an ya more then welcome to come along if ya want.

cheers

Pete62
23-03-2009, 11:25 AM
When I used to catch bass in the Northern NSW Clarence River area the lure pattern that worked best for me was brown/orange.

I honestly can't remember the brand of the lure but they were essentially brown & tan on top with a kind of yabbie pattern etched in. Then the colour faded to an orange underneath.

It wasn't the the longer minnow style, but more squat fat shaped ones.
That lure pattern worked both trolling and casting.

If I lost one on a snag or something I'd buy another the same. They were very consistent lures.

They are called Crawdads, killers on Bass subsurface. Fred Abourgst Jitterbugs on the surface early and late.

Pete.

shayned
24-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Just out of interest ( sorry for hijacking your thread tom :)), how fast do bass grow in impoundments?

Depends on the impoundment mate. Kurwongbah has seen roughly 20cm of growth in approx 14 months. I believe this probably at the upper end of the scale though. At this stage I'm still hopeful we will have 30cm fish by next summer (approx 24 months)

This is a special case though, we had a massive Tilapia kill prior to releasing the first fingerlings, so plenty of niche space and I'm also told that the first release of a species tends to grow the fastest.

The initial growth phase of a bass is the fastest, it then slows dramatically.

aussiebasser
24-03-2009, 12:27 PM
As an example, a couple of years ago my brother caught a 53cm tagged bass in Moogerah. It was 300mm long when it was tagged 12 years previously. Yes 12 years. Somehow, it had managed to escape the netters, and survive in the muddy creek during the big drought which saw Moogerah empty.

aussiebasser
24-03-2009, 12:28 PM
As for land based bass spots. North Pine or Wivenhoe have reasonable access. Walk the banks near Cormorant Bay at Wivenhoe, or walk the river below the wall at Wivenhoe.

Little grey men
24-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Theres some serious bass to be had in North Pine Dam. They're a little hard to find at the moment but put on a good pair of boots and you'll find them. At North Pine dam you have to fish from the bank. It makes landing a big bass in heavy cover very exciting !!!
They'll hit many many different types of lures.
On the weekend I blooded my new rod and landed fish on Mask Vibes, Tn 60's and Evergreen blade lures. Had a little bit of interest using a River 2 Sea Rover as well.
I got bricked twice by big nasties that took me down under the snags.
Put North Pine Dam on your to do list. If you put in the hard yards you won't be dissapointed.
Make sure you take a variety of lures to cover different situations. Top water. Shallow diving and deep lures for searching the bottom. Both plastics and hard bodied lures. By the way, don't overlook the spinner baits, very effective lures when searching up and down the banks.