PDA

View Full Version : Me and Mondy, It's a love hate thing.

Pete62
22-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Hi all, after a great weekend with the Borumba Bashers I moved further north to Monduran.
Flying solo, my deckie pulled out 3 days b4 the trip, I knew it was going to be hard to keep myself motivated with long days on the water.

Arriving about lunchtime Sunday I set up camp, had a quick chat with Adrian, one of the Mondy guides and hit the water for an afternoon reckie.
Up to B and tied on a new B52 in red and white. 4th cast I was looking at the lures action close to the boat, whack, big surface hit and miss, geez this is looking OK. Nothing much else for the arvo, back to camp for dinner and beers, water temp was 27.

The plan for the week was do an early start till about lunchtime, home for a spell then out for the evening and the moonrise bite.

Monday morning, at the ramp at 04:30 scouting around SDA and Bird b4 daylight. SDA had some activity on daylight so I stuck around, prospecting the points. Just on sunrise I had a massive hit on the surface very close to the boat, enough to shower me with water from head to toe as the big girl tried in vain to hook herself, S%#T that was fun, would have been an interesting hookup as there was heaps of timber around. Kept sacting and prospecting around for the morning then home for a spell.
The arvo was spent in Sth arm of B prospecting points for no interest.

Met Nagg and MW monday night, the boys were in a purple patch. We spoke about lures and tactics with the points and SP's getting the nod.

Tuesday moning had me back in SDA and Bird till after daylight then S.A.B for the arvo, back into BB b4 dark.

I found a nice looking point in BB and tied off for the night session. To me, this point will forever be know a Barra Buffet Point as what happened over the hours after dark had to be experienced to be believed.
The Boofing started out slowly and built up to what I have since explained as someone hanging above the boat throwing house bricks in the water, by the hundreds, it was the most amazing experience. Needless to say I was confident, I threw every thing at these fish, HB's SP'S geez I even threw a Roosta popper, for nearly 2 hours it went on b4 I fooled a fish into a strike on a mid water HB, homemade lure a freind had given me in gold. The fish hit hard close to the boat and took off in the right direction away from the timber, only lasted about 8 secs b4 the leader knot gave way................S%#T.

Wednesday was a late start, bludging for the morning then tagging along with Nagg & MW up into S.A.B for the afternoon. The boys went up to there fav spot and I hung off the next point up from Pepper Point. An hour or so in I got a solid hookup, some very spectacular dancing and good stong runs b4 the SP was spat back at me.

Thursday saw a change in wind direction and cooler water temp. The morning started in S.A.B then up towards H to try and find walmer water, home for more fuel then the arvo in BB, gave the show away just b4 dark.

So, for a guy who didn't put a fish in the boat, I have now got a few more pieces of the puzzle in place, have met some more AF's, MW is a total dagg, funny guy and Chris is a top fella who is very forthcoming with tips and advise and had a much needed break from the grind.

I must have tried reasonably hard this trip cause I looked at the carpet in the boat and it is gonna take me hours to pick up all the tag ends and knots off the floor:P

Cheer's Pete.

TonyM
22-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the report Pete.

Bummer about no fish but at least you were hooked up for a few seconds, and how fun are those strikes near the boat! :D

It sounds like you've gained some knowledge so that alone makes a trip worthwhile - time to plan the next assault now :)

Cheers
Tony

Pete62
22-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Can Mods pls move this to Freshwater chat pls.

Ta, Pete.

DEANO68
22-03-2009, 05:35 PM
good on ya pete, sounds like you had a good week away from the grind, only bummer was meeting up with a couple of bums so far from home...one at borumba and two at mondy,;) ;) 8-) ...ha, great to catch up, see you soon...

deano..8-)

snagking
22-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Sounds like a great trip!

snagking
22-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Bummer about the no fish, but there will always be next time eh?

Apollo
22-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Pete

Was great to catch up with you at Borumba and a shame you 0 Mondy.

Cheers
Steve

rc@hinze
22-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the report Pete and badluck on the lost fish. Sounds like my last trips to Mondy. I always put Locktite or Superglue on my leader to braid knot for some extra insurance. Never had one fail doing that. Lots going thru your head on the trip home I'm sure. - cheers RC

robersl
23-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Hi Pete first of all thanks for letting me be your deckie at Borumba after talking on the phone with you on Wednesday my phone died but i was hoping you would land one of those big brutes up there in mondy ,even hooking up like you did i find is a big rush ,I know it was a long haul home with no fish but it will come mate, as i said on the phone if you can get away for a weekend or 3 days after May let me know and i will return the deckie favour at mondy to save you towing the boat up.

Shane

Pete62
23-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Hi Shane, no worries, was good to have u on board, was a fun weekend all round. Yeah it is a long haul but u know what, I really don't find it that hard, I do the Goldcoast/Brivgas run quite often, the bit from the Sunny coast to Gimpie is a pain but after that it's all good.

Good luck if you go up this weekend, will send u a PM with some thoughts.

Pete.

themissus
23-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Hey Pete!!
Firstly it was great to finally catch up at The Bash.
Ok....so you didn't boat a fish but it sounds like you had a cracker time regardless and came home a bit wiser to the barra ways. That's what it all about!! When that final piece of the puzzle fits LOOK OUT it's game on. We finally had it happen at the muster and I still grin like a Cheshire Cat when I think about it. Our barra success owes alot to other Af'ers sharing their tips, spot X's and even lures. We do alot of research before each trip but it's nice to have you strategies reaffirmed by people who have good success at the dam. That's what I love about this site, the sharing and openness of our fellow fisho. Not to mention the genuine joy they display when you finally crack the big one. The bash cemented it for me, I have to say I feel really blessed to be involved in such a great bunch of people.
Good luck next trip Pete.....Don't they go like a cut cat;)
Cheers Kim.

Pete62
23-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Hey Pete!!
Ok....so you didn't boat a fish but it sounds like you had a cracker time regardless and came home a bit wiser to the barra ways. That's what it all about!! When that final piece of the puzzle fits LOOK OUT it's game on. We finally had it happen at the muster and I still grin like a Cheshire Cat when I think about it. Our barra success owes alot to other Af'ers sharing their tips, spot X's and even lures. We do alot of research before each trip but it's nice to have you strategies reaffirmed by people who have good success at the dam. That's what I love about this site, the sharing and openness of our fellow fisho. Not to mention the genuine joy they display when you finally crack the big one. The bash cemented it for me, I have to say I feel really blessed to be involved in such a great bunch of people.
Cheers Kim.

Thanks Kim, it was great to meet u n Roo as well and yes we r lucky to have such a sharing mob here. At the end of the day I am only a Newbie on the Dam but as I said on the phone I feel a lot closer now and to have hooked a couple just added more fuel, next trip is already in it's early stages of planning. MAY be I will be heading back up soon.8-)

Pete.

themissus
23-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Let us know...we r looking at a april/may trip.

Pete62
23-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Will Do

Pete.

BR65
23-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Gday Pete, nice to spill a beer with you at the bash mate!
Sounds like you had a good run up at M mate regardless of fish in the net, she can be a tuff nut to crack, Im currently trying to digest a rather bitter donut from this week end gone, so feel the pain brother.
If nothing else, you know in your own mind that the spots and techniques you are useing will produce a fish, the mind game is half the battle I reckon.
Matter of fact, Im sure the pros must of gill netted the joint empty the day before I got up there lol, fair dinkum, some days you would swear blind theres no barra in there.
cheers
brian

Pete62
23-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks Brian, I thought of u during the week as I know u mostly fly solo and I think for me, the motivation to keep casting was the hardest when there was no one in the boat to bounce ideas and thoughts off.

BTW the dog u mentioned in your thread was the talk of the camp as the lady who owned it took it to the ladies loos for it's wee wees, classic.

Pete.

BR65
23-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Ya jokin, I thought a foot ball had rolled out in front of the car, then the bloody thing yapped, good thing I was only doing walking speed as I came in at the first speed bump.
If I saw that thing in the toilets Id put my boot right up its backside and help it on its way home.
Re the solo thing Pete, the up-side is you can please yourself as to where, when and how hard you fish, down side is that theres no one to blame but your self when the plan turns to sh#t lol.

Obi _ Wan
23-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Cheers Kim.[/quote]

LOL, Kim, I think they go more like a cat that knows it's gunna get cut ;D

Pete,
Bad luck mate, but thats fishing, keep the chin up and plough ahead, next trip may be a corker, that means good, not refering to a bent corgi that is treated like a human. :o

Cheers,
John.

Pete62
23-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Cheers Kim.

LOL, Kim, I think they go more like a cat that knows it's gunna get cut ;D

Pete,
Bad luck mate, but thats fishing, keep the chin up and plough ahead, next trip may be a corker, that means good, not refering to a bent corgi that is treated like a human. :o

Cheers,
John.[/quote]

Cheers John, thanks, mate I am still pretty pumped from the trip, got a hell of a lot closer this time than my first trip.

The little fur ball was spinning me out a little bit, it will probably get the motorhome when the old girl kicks the bucket. Geez Brian would have been charged with murder if he had have rolled it.

Pete.

Obi _ Wan
23-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Cheers John, thanks, mate I am still pretty pumped from the trip, got a hell of a lot closer this time than my first trip.

The little fur ball was spinning me out a little bit, it will probably get the motorhome when the old girl kicks the bucket. Geez Brian would have been charged with murder if he had have rolled it.

Pete.[/quote]

Pete, The big problem is every trip is better than the last and so the desire to be on a barra impoundment is overwhelming, jezzz it's good 8-) and very rewarding, when you run into people you have met whilst touring the lakes its just like a big family reunion, only better ;D

As an old bushie, i know how to keep that fur ball away, only trouble i'm not game to put it up here. :o I'll tell you when we run into each other on a lake somewhere.

Cheers,
John.

robersl
23-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Gday Pete, nice to spill a beer with you at the bash mate!
Sounds like you had a good run up at M mate regardless of fish in the net, she can be a tuff nut to crack, Im currently trying to digest a rather bitter donut from this week end gone, so feel the pain brother.
If nothing else, you know in your own mind that the spots and techniques you are useing will produce a fish, the mind game is half the battle I reckon.
Matter of fact, Im sure the pros must of gill netted the joint empty the day before I got up there lol, fair dinkum, some days you would swear blind theres no barra in there.
cheers
brian

Well brian you finally worked out what Nagg was doing, where can i get a gill net lol

Tropicaltrout
23-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Dammm Pete its a shame but the drive that keeps you returning will be burning harder then ever now mate, IBD is a cruel thing....

Cheers Nath

BR65
23-03-2009, 07:09 PM

Pete.

Mate, it came out of right field, and even at walking pace I had to lock up the brakes, stupid bloody rat like thing it was.
Would have stufed my week end, the dog would be dead, the old dear would be shattered, and I would have had the guilts on!
Johns method has me intrigued though??????

Pete62
23-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Mate, it was probably on one of those really long doggie walking thingies, the old girl was probably 150 mtrs in the rear, imagine if u had have got that wrapped around the drive train, dog fluff flying old girl skiing in towards the truck,Ahh, too much happy hour. for me..................:P

Pete.

BR65
23-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Mate, it was probably on one of those really long doggie walking thingies, the old girl was probably 150 mtrs in the rear, imagine if u had have got that wrapped around the drive train, dog fluff flying old girl skiing in towards the truck,Ahh, too much happy hour. for me..................:P

Pete.

;D ;D ;D ;D crack me up mate!

Tropicaltrout
23-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Mate, it came out of right field, and even at walking pace I had to lock up the brakes, stupid bloody rat like thing it was.
Would have stufed my week end, the dog would be dead, the old dear would be shattered, and I would have had the guilts on!

Should have garbbed the bugger, wacked a paddle tail on it and sent it out with a size 1/0 trebble in the feet :D call it the Royal Woof SP ;D and man it would go woof if a chome swam up for a taste;D ;D

darylive
23-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Hey Pete!!
Ok....so you didn't boat a fish but it sounds like you had a cracker time Not to mention the genuine joy they display when you finally crack the big one. The bash cemented it for me, I have to say I feel really blessed to be involved in such a great bunch of people.
Cheers Kim.

Yeh Good one Kim! :D
Youre a Crack up alright!

"Crack the big one "
:LMAO:

Steve B
23-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Yeh Good one Kim! :D
Youre a Crack up alright!

"Crack the big one "
:LMAO:

I know where this is heading Darryl!!:P Stop trying to give the post the bum steer!!!;);D

Hey, Pete,

Sorry about you tough run.....Yeah and MW had a good time, but I think the boom has busted.....Brian doughnutted, I did today also!!! Its a bugger of a dam sometimes!! It was good to catch up with you at the Bash...one of the best weekends I have had in ages!!!

cheers Steve

DEANO68
23-03-2009, 08:10 PM

and a nut to boot..;) ;D :P ...sorrry to kick you while your down mate....;D 8-)

nath......8-)

Tropicaltrout
23-03-2009, 08:14 PM
and a nut to boot..;) ;D :P ...sorrry to kick you while your down mate....;D 8-)

nath......8-)

Deano I tried8-)

darylive
23-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey Pete!!
Ok.... you had a cracker you finally crack the big one. ;)
Cheers Kim.

I know where this is heading Darryl!!:P Stop trying to give the post the bum steer!!!;);D

cheers Steve

Careful you resemble that remark :D

Speaking of marks, best Skid to a halt now ;)

NAGG
23-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Hey Pete ..... It was great catching up with you ! - shame you never converted , but I'm sure they will come for you . Hang in there
MWs a classic hey ::) Camp ground tart.

as mentioned ..... If you want to come along one trip , you'll be more than welcome ....... specially now that MW is now coming up to yellowfin season .

Cheers

Chris

Obi _ Wan
23-03-2009, 10:39 PM
OK OK Since theres been a bit of talk about wrapping the fur ball around the drive shaft, i'll tell you the storey.

At least i was not the one who did the removale job, but i saw it all, still get a chuckle out of it.

I was born and raised in the mid north coast area of NSW about 50 miles in from the coast, all my rellies were graziers, yes thats right, i was the poor bastard who was never left a cattle property, but at least i fish for barra and have lived in QLD for thirty odd years now.

Anyway two of my cousins (brothers) lived on adjoining properties and their houses were about three miles apart along the river.
I was staying with one of the brothers who was a bit of a larrikin, anyway his brothers dog, a proper cattle dog, not one of the modern cattle dogs who have short legs and are half the size, decided it wanted to stay at the other house. It was taken home a couple of times but kept comming back, it became a problem as the other brother thought his brother was trying to keep the dog.
One day enough was enough and my cousin got a corn kob and a bottle of turps, called the dog and it dutifully came to him, he grabbed its tail, lifted it up and half a dozen good rasps across the date and a small splash of turps was applied.
Well the dog shook itself, walked around the house yard once (about an acre), then it trotted around the house yard once, then at full gallop around the house yard again, then it took off at full tilt. It reached the gate leading into the house paddock going quicker than i have ever seen a greyhound run, under the gate, almost took out the bottom rail.
Down the hill it went and then along the road beside the river heading to its rightful home, it was going so bloody fast it left a dust cloud just like a motor car.
Now that dog never came back and made a pest of itself again, it fact whenever the brother rode up the flat to his place the dog would not come into the house paddock, it laid and waited at the gate and if they ever went out the back gate the dog would run around the perimeter of the house paddock.

But you have to remember that in those days if an animal got sick, there was no money for a Vet so the animal was taken for a walk and given a lead injection.

True storey, i was there and saw it all, they were the so called good old days.

Cheers,
John.

Pete62
24-03-2009, 08:14 AM
:LMAO: Good story John.

I was raised around cattle properties too and the old mans method of teaching his dogs not to chase cars was to pin the dog to the ground by the collar, drive the truck over it and rev the hell out of it, never lost a dog.

Pete.

Pete62
24-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Hey Pete ..... It was great catching up with you ! - shame you never converted , but I'm sure they will come for you . Hang in there
MWs a classic hey ::) Camp ground tart.

as mentioned ..... If you want to come along one trip , you'll be more than welcome ....... specially now that MW is now coming up to yellowfin season .

Cheers

Chris

Good onya Chris, good to meet u too. Looking at maybe the second week/end of May, full moon on the 9th.
Pete.

BR65
24-03-2009, 05:12 PM

nath......8-)

Ohh, lovely, my mates are kicking me when Im at my lowest :'( :'( :'( ;D

Thank gawd Steve and Spud ate the pastry as well, at least I dont feel like I suck so much after hearing that (no disrespect intended boys:-* )

DEANO68
24-03-2009, 07:56 PM

Thank gawd Steve and Spud ate the pastry as well, at least I dont feel like I suck so much after hearing that (no disrespect intended boys:-* )

all good mate , belt me back whenever you like :o ...makes me more determined next time.....hit me , hit meeee.......sorry ian and the block heads moment....:-X
gotta get me one of those rythem sticks....:-X ..whoa, wont mention the name of the album...:o

Whitto
25-03-2009, 07:13 AM

Thank gawd Steve and Spud ate the pastry as well, at least I dont feel like I suck so much after hearing that (no disrespect intended boys:-* ) I know what's happened Brian.... because Capt Crack Back and Sack has had a bum steer of late.... it appears your being turned on by a pack of Wolves......Just because you looked like a LOSER with a rare donut....I won't be critical Brother...( Ya look at one sheep AAAaaa)....until our next guzzle, see ya late Donut Boy, potential dog killer;D

NAGG
25-03-2009, 07:31 AM

Brian ...... You are lucky! If you had a mate like MW - you would cop a flogging not just a kicking ! - I did & that was only during a session :-/ - I knew I should have repaid the favour at the end of his 5th Donut day;D

Peter4
30-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Pete - sorry to hear you didn't get one into the boat but a least you got close and had the feel of a couple at the end of your stick......

It took us three trips for our first barra but a brief hook-up on trip two converted us for life. I reckon you now have terminal IBD.

We also put a drop of loctite on the leader knot to prevent slippage. Have not lost a barra to poor knots yet! Next time, Pete, next time.......

Regs

Pete (& Kyle)

BR65
30-03-2009, 07:43 PM
yup, I know you shouldnt have to, but I super glue my leader knots as well, never had one let go yet, mind you, Ive found a thousand other ways to lose a fish, most of them involve B52's for some reason????

NAGG
30-03-2009, 08:11 PM
yup, I know you shouldnt have to, but I super glue my leader knots as well, never had one let go yet, mind you, Ive found a thousand other ways to lose a fish, most of them involve B52's for some reason????

It doesn't hurt that is for sure .......... specially when using a slim beauty in 80lb leader

Chris