PDA

View Full Version : New Tinny Opinions Sought

scroman
21-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Before I bore people with the guff of what I'm sorting through - maybe this has been addressed in a previous thread and if so could I please be directed to it to save wasting peoples valuable time.
I am looking for another tinny - basic particulars are as follows:
1. 4.0 - 4.4m
2. rated to 40hp
3. wide side decks, beamy and deep
4. offshore capabilities in good weather - splashwell?
5. able to have 55/75lb bow mount directly centre of bow

That is the bear bones of it, the rest will be added when finances permit. Down the track there will be casting decks, live wells (tournament standard), lots of boy toys in it.
I have looked at Oz Craft,Horizon, Sea Jay, Stessl and Makocraft. Havn't determined motor yet - throw in your 2c worth on that as well::) . I just want to get the hull right first then address the next lot of priorities - sounders, electric motor, all the little nerdy stuff we boys like to play with - according to my wife::) . Any hull builders between Brissy and Northern NSW that may even do a custom job? Not sure on a budget yet - that probably doesn't help - we will wait to narrow it down to the top three hull choices then I'll get quotes etc.

Any hints, advice - good and bad - will be appreciated;)
Thank you, folks
Troy

bigbenny74
21-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Scroman,

I purchased a Blue fin Mangrove Jack 4.2 around 2 years ago. My reason for going blue fin was that it was the only tinny at the time with a 3mm plate bottom.

It has been faultless and I have a 55lb minn kota on the bow which is well suited.

I regularly fish the open bay and have not had an issue.

I highly recommend them (for what its worth) and am happy to send through some pics of the fitout if you need.

bb

bigbenny74
21-03-2009, 03:25 PM
p.s. second option was the makocraft

top rig;)

Braddles
21-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Hey mate

Spent a lot of time off shore in a Seajay 4.35 Sports (side console), which as name suggests just on your upper size limit. We had a yammy 50HP 2st fitted to it.

This is a great little boat - handles good to fair days outside well. We will be out off the Goldie in it all through Easter - cant wait!

They have 50L underfloor tank (we used to take 2 x 20L jerry cans too if outside but very rarely needed them), and a neat little side console. D-V and had a factory built in live bait tank that communicated with the ocean via drill holes.

The ONLY suggestion I would have / change about it was the Seajay, as many boats this side, have a cut away transom for some reason...

WHen you have two guys down the back trying to lift a fish in, the weight would often put the cut out very level to the ocean - and a couple of times we copped swell over the back...

If you can - make sure you go for a full height transom... Your undies and bildge pump will thank you!

dreemon
21-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Talk to " pedrodepacus " for a great custom Viper boat, maztez will be able to direct you to threads with pics and posts, he's down in Burliegh heads and a top guy to deal with, Cheers

Seahorse
21-03-2009, 05:53 PM
i looked around the boat show yest and think best valus for monet around 4.2 -4.5 is the stessco.

Damned67
21-03-2009, 06:31 PM
I ordered my 4.2 Viper on Wednesday. I'm going to say that you can't beat the price for the boat. Awesome workmanship, built to your specs. 3mm all over. Looks like a plate boat, not a 'tinny'. You need to see one of these boats before you make a decision.

Give Phil a call: 0405 710 846
I think you'll be pleasantly shocked at the price
(feel free to PM me if you want to know what mines costing me)

tunaticer
21-03-2009, 06:35 PM
It might be worth checking out the auctions soon as TABS bats have just gone under according to reports. Be a valuable buy a TABS brand new out of auction.