PDA

View Full Version : Swains charter boat and bag limits

seastorm
20-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Do the new bag limits on coral reef fin fish species ( combination of 20 per person) apply if you go on a week long charter to the swains, as we have come back before with more than 20 fish each, that is why I go. If this is the case that you can't take any more than 20 each would you pay the $2000 per head for a charter?

35kg jew
20-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Im pretty sure a stay over a period of time would allow a larger bag limit i would hope so!!!! As the charter boats would definately loose a massive amount of clients.. Even wit how good the fishing can be out there i dont think i would go that makes it $100 a fish.. Im gonna email anita from iron joy and ask her about this?

Black_Rat
20-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Swains charters do have a larger bag limit per person. Around 3 years ago (last trip) they recorded the catch on a daily basis and were anal about not taking too many over there quota.

We didn't even come close to our quota and we where more than happy with what we went home with.

Damo.

griz066
21-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Do the new bag limits on coral reef fin fish species ( combination of 20 per person) apply if you go on a week long charter to the swains, as we have come back before with more than 20 fish each, that is why I go. If this is the case that you can't take any more than 20 each would you pay the $2000 per head for a charter?

I hope not we are going in August and its $2700 for the week:-[

CreelReaper
21-03-2009, 10:29 AM
It would all depend on your motivations for fishing and what it is you as an individual are hoping to achieve or get out of the experience. Yep, it is costly when you look at it like that (price per fish) but what price do you pay for the experience??
What merit do you put on sharing the time with fellow fishos, the laughs, the highs and lows of 'losing that fish'. The comradarie and 'freindly' banter between mates battling out to be top dog on the boat.
Seastorm, I understand your dilemma but if you were to apply this style of thinking to everything else in life we wouldn't do anything because we can't 'justify' the cost.
Why buy that flashy car when all you are doing is going from A to B. The old and dented rustbucket does exactly the same job.
Why spend so much money on a diamond ring for your lady and that plush honeymoon???? Why buy top of the range fishing gear when at the end of the day a lesser outfit will do as good a job??
For me its easy mate, as long as I have learned something, had a good time, made some mates and or shared some experiences with others then the cost does not really matter.

Shane

Noha
22-03-2009, 07:19 AM
in the NT they have a 30 fish possesion limit, and in that limit you are only allowed to have 5 each of barra, black jew, fingermark and spanish macks so that only leaves you 10 more fish of different sorts to keep.
how much fish do you want.
i go over there for 4 weeks at a time and that is a hell of a lot of fish to keep.
you just have to draft them and only keep the good stuff.
if you only think of fishing in monetry terms give the game away. cheers

seastorm
22-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi Noha / Shane
I should put things into context for you the swains trip for me is a once a year trip it consists of a 8hr drive to Gladstone then a 12hr trip out to the swains,why don't get me wrong it is a great trip for a week with the boys and you can't put a price on that but if I can fill the freezer when I get home with fish (which will last me for 6 months) it make it a bit easier to convince the hairy cheque book (the missus) to part with the $2000 for the trip. If I can only bring home 20 fish at a time I will stay home and fish my local area which for $2000 will = about 20 trips out and if all went well 20 x 20 fish. The other point to this thread is the concern for the charter boats.

Outsider1
22-03-2009, 11:59 AM
There are definitely higher extended charter bag limits that apply to week long charters to the Swains etc, but I cannot find a link to them sorry. I believe it as about double going on what we brought back last year, and we did not make it to limit according to our skipper but we gave it a shake.

seastorm
22-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Hi Outsider
Has the bag limits changed since march 2009?

Outsider1
22-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi Outsider
Has the bag limits changed since march 2009?

Not that I can find so far. I found an older reference (2003/2004) that suggested that for charters of more than 72 hours the bag limits are doubled, and it goes to a maximum of 60 fish per angler for trips of 8 days or more.

Outsider1
22-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Here is a bit more;

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/30_13060_ENA_HTML.htm

Effective 1 March 2009

Charter fishers
Charter fishers are no longer allowed to retain double the bag limit of spotted mackerel, grey mackerel, shark mackerel, mulloway, black jewfish, cobia, blackspotted and goldspotted rockcod, and wahoo when on trips of longer than 48 hours.
Coral reef fin fish

Blackspotted and goldspotted rockcod (estuary cod) will become a coral reef fin fish. This means you will need to clip the pectoral fin of any estuary cod you catch.

Lucky_Phill
22-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Division 2 Regulated coral reef fin fish

150 Extended number for regulated coral reef fin fish

(1) Subsections (3) to (5) prescribe the number (the extended
number) of regulated coral reef fin fish that may be—

(a) taken, during an extended licensed charter fishing trip,
by a recreational fisher who is on a boat and taking part
in the trip; and

(b) possessed by the fisher.

(2) However, subsections (3) to (5) apply only if the trip is
conducted for a continuous period of at least 72 hours.

(3) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), the extended number of
regulated coral reef fin fish of a particular species or a group
of species is twice the regulated number of the fish for the
species or group.

(4) If the trip is conducted for a continuous period of more than
72 hours and less than 168 hours, the extended number of
regulated coral reef fin fish of all species or groups of species
is a total of 40 fish.

(5) If the trip is conducted for a continuous period of more than
than 168 hours, the extended number of regulated coral reef
fin fish of all species or groups of species is a total of 60 fish.
[s 151]

Fisheries Regulation 2008

Chapter 3 Regulated fish declarations

Part 5 Special provisions for extended licensed charter fishing trips
Page 112 Reprint 1H effective 1 March 2009
Note—

See also section 147.

151 Form of regulated coral reef fin fish for extended licensed
charter fishing trip

(1) This section applies if a recreational fisher takes regulated
coral reef fin fish under section 150.

fish on the boat during
the charter fishing trip but only if—

(a) all the skin on the fillet remains attached to the fillet;
and

(b) the fillets of each species of fish taken are packaged
separately; and

(c) each package is labelled with the common name of the
species of fish in the package.

Division 3 Fin fish other than regulated coral
reef fin fish

152 Extended number for other particular fin fish

(1) This section applies to a recreational fisher who is, or has
been, on a boat and taking part in an extended licensed charter
fishing trip.

(2) The fisher may—

(a) during the charter fishing trip, take up to twice the
regulated number of a species of fish mentioned in
schedule 6, part 5; and

(b) possess the fish taken under paragraph (a).
[s 153]

Fisheries Regulation 2008
Chapter 3 Regulated fish declarations

Part 6 Measurement of fish

Reprint 1H effective 1 March 2009 Page 113

153 Form of other particular fin fish for extended licensed
charter fishing trip

(1) This section applies if a recreational fisher takes a fin fish,
other than a regulated coral reef fin fish, on a boat, during an
extended licensed charter fishing trip.

(2) The fisher may possess the fish on the boat but only if the
fisher ensures a square area of skin with sides of at least 3cm
is left on the fish.

all the above is taken from the Legislation.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/F/FisherR08.pdf

If you want to have a read, it's only 552 pages long.:- ;D :o :o

Cheers Phill

Always_offshore
22-03-2009, 04:54 PM
New rules do affect the charter boats but i think you can apply for extra quota,means paying the gov.:o

griz066
22-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Just got an email back from Norkat 2 and they have said 30 for a 3 day and 60 for 7 days.

jerson
22-03-2009, 08:02 PM
We go out of Hervey Bay once a year on a 3 day charter. If we bring home 15 decent fish per head we're very happy. If the bag limit is 30, that is a good haul.

This may not be a popular comment but i have noticed a slight decline in numbers in 10 years, my son is showing signs of interest in coming on future charters, with these bag limits mabye he can do the same with his son.

It maybe that we will be returning Hussar & perch to fight again, what a shame, their great eating.

Jerson

Ally Jack
22-03-2009, 10:13 PM
I hope not we are going in August and its $2700 for the week:-[

Griz,

Holey dooley that is some coin, who are you going with and for how long?

I've been going to the Swains for the last 3 years on the Tura for a week and most I've paid is $1800 for this year. This year will also be my last, part of the deal with the missus for buying the Seafarer, $1800 is a lot of fuel

Ally Jack

griz066
23-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Griz,

Holey dooley that is some coin, who are you going with and for how long?

I've been going to the Swains for the last 3 years on the Tura for a week and most I've paid is $1800 for this year. This year will also be my last, part of the deal with the missus for buying the Seafarer, $1800 is a lot of fuel

Ally Jack

Norkat 2 out from Mackay 8 Days everything supplied inc tackle:)

dodge69
24-03-2009, 01:00 PM
I have been hitting the Swains for several years now. Oct 08 I ventured out on the Tura and the initial 20 hour steam to the outer reef was enough to be my last. For a 7 day charter, we barely fished 5 days, after the amount of steaming we did.

Whilst Norkat is more expensive, they are much closer to the hard line reef and are happy to navigate during the night hours.

I am heading out with Norkat for the first time nest year and are happy to part with the additional money to ensure that most time is spent fishing and not steaming

Just my observations of course.

35kg jew
24-03-2009, 01:45 PM
I pay a little extra as well for the comfort and fishing space and dories.. I have have been on norkat as well worth the coin.. Tura is a very small slow boat wit quite average dories.. Im out wit iron joy in 4 weeks cant wait now thats a very good boat out of gladstone..

nat dog
30-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I pay a little extra as well for the comfort and fishing space and dories.. I have have been on norkat as well worth the coin.. Tura is a very small slow boat wit quite average dories.. Im out wit iron joy in 4 weeks cant wait now thats a very good boat out of gladstone..

The tura is bigger than norkat

NEWBY
04-07-2009, 07:38 AM
Not that I can find so far. I found an older reference (2003/2004) that suggested that for charters of more than 72 hours the bag limits are doubled, and it goes to a maximum of 60 fish per angler for trips of 8 days or more.
100% corect.

NEWBY
04-07-2009, 07:44 AM
It would all depend on your motivations for fishing and what it is you as an individual are hoping to achieve or get out of the experience. Yep, it is costly when you look at it like that (price per fish) but what price do you pay for the experience??
What merit do you put on sharing the time with fellow fishos, the laughs, the highs and lows of 'losing that fish'. The comradarie and 'freindly' banter between mates battling out to be top dog on the boat.
Seastorm, I understand your dilemma but if you were to apply this style of thinking to everything else in life we wouldn't do anything because we can't 'justify' the cost.
Why buy that flashy car when all you are doing is going from A to B. The old and dented rustbucket does exactly the same job.
Why spend so much money on a diamond ring for your lady and that plush honeymoon???? Why buy top of the range fishing gear when at the end of the day a lesser outfit will do as good a job??
For me its easy mate, as long as I have learned something, had a good time, made some mates and or shared some experiences with others then the cost does not really matter.

Shane
I agree with you mate. Its not all about how many fish ya catch really. I went out 2 years ago on the Norval. Scotty the captain was excellent. Yeah the boat was a bit slow but we didnt care. Great trip. Great time. Worth every penny. I was a late inclusion on the trip as I filled up a hole for some ausfishers that were getting a few cancellations. Met some fantastic people. Oh, and caught sh!tloads ;D If ya dont bag out at the Swaines, theres something wrong.