PDA

View Full Version : The Barra Donut....

Peter4
20-03-2009, 02:12 PM
After reading a few posts this week it appears to me that there are a few different definitions of a 'donut' trip when chasing impoundment barra.

Nagg, who is currently at Monduran, has been rabbitting on about MWs 'donuts' during different sessions. Others have mentioned 'donut' days....

Our (Kyle & my) definition of a 'donut' is a trip to an impoundment that results in no barra being caught by our boat for the duration of the trip.

In other words individual sessions do not count, days do not count, catfish do not count and any other fish caught do not count. The aim of the trip is for the crew to land barra. Doesn't matter which individual gets a fish, the crew avoids the donut!

Some will dispute this and claim that every individual needs to catch a barra to avoid the donut. You can argue this amongst yourselves but we disagree, as we work as a team and do not fish solo at any stage......

This also gives us the maximum possible chance of avoiding the dreaded donut!;)

Would love to hear your thoughts on this contentious issue!;D

Regs

Pete (& Kyle)

TonyM
20-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Your definition sounds pretty much the same as mine Pete

A Barra in the boat at sometime during the trip = no donut (I still manage to get donuts though!)

Only difference is that I tend to mention catfish as a minus score - gotta have some fun :D

Cheers
Tony

DEANO68
20-03-2009, 06:16 PM
ahhh, the dreaded doughnut, im going with the nut being the whole trip and boat..team effort here, you work as a team , both trying different things till one cracks a fish / pattern..if you then get fish using that method, keep it up,or untill your fishy senses tell you to change..last trip we tried a few diff things, we found one HB to be getting the most of the attention so we stuck with it and got fish as a team...the personal nut on the other hand can hurt a little, ive had a few...but the way i look at it is, im not at work, im not mowin the bloody lawn (christ that shite grows quick)..and im fishin and havin beers with some top people, all good...so doughnuts, yep we have them , but not a major issue...;D ...

deano...8-)

robersl
20-03-2009, 06:23 PM
me to this can be a 2 person sport 1 to play the fish 1 to land it called teamwork do the pro's work as teams in the comps for barra or by themself's

shane

BR65
20-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Im mainly by myself Pete, so I halve the chances of a fish, and double my chances of a donut!

A donut trip for me is one where NO barra find the net, jump offs and dropped fish dont count, and the donut is no fish for the the duration of the trip, so far touch wood Ive only eaten a 3 (one at M, two at A), and they wernt very pleaseant, its a long way to drive home mulling over the whys and what fors of missed chances.
Part of the game I spose though....

Peter4
20-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Im mainly by myself Pete, so I halve the chances of a fish, and double my chances of a donut! So true Brian, you need a regular fishin buddy to even up the odds.....

A donut trip for me is one where NO barra find the net, jump offs and dropped fish dont count, and the donut is no fish for the the duration of the trip, so far touch wood Ive only eaten a 3 (one at M, two at A), and they wernt very pleaseant, its a long way to drive home mulling over the whys and what fors of missed chances. Agree

Big year for you buddy......trying for barra every month (and it's gonna be a cold winter....);)

Pete

PaulMark
20-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Definitely no Barra in the boat for the whole trip:'( You can have a personal tally if you wish,damn depressing tho:-/. But a successful trip is obviously putting one of those gorgeous fish in the boat,high fives,and all the whooping that goes along.Whether its a day or a week everyone catching which is always the aim or just one
Paulo 8-)

vet
21-03-2009, 10:06 AM
With my major sponsor being donut king, I tend to be a bit harsher marker when it comes to donuts. Every session that I fish if I don't get a fish than that's a donut, so if I go out in the morning and get none than again in the afternoon and get none than that's 2 donuts. Despite constantly eating donuts, they don't seem to taste any better, they're certainly not good for my wasteline.
cheers, scott.

Tropicaltrout
21-03-2009, 10:26 AM
A ripper Q. Pete

As Brian I often fish solo and for me a Donut has appeared on twice but its to me is a trip long thing I aim to boat 1 fish a trip regardless of trip length or location. A donut is the best thing in the world to a fishing person I belive it makes you think about the trip much more then a successful one for esample a successful trip you go in happy a forfilled and you can bet you will return to that spot trip after trip, but how quick does the empty feeling arrive when nothing is happerning... On a donut I found myself observing things so much more, watching the water looking for movment, bait, water quality etc I take that home and go back to the dam wanting to find opposites try new things, explore new water and hopefully next trip wammo the boat is juiced up.....

Yes its a team effort for two blokes but the donut is as indavidual as ever IMHO. The best thing here is that with two blokes fishing there more lures and presentation going on so the chances are higher for someone to nut out whats happerning giving both parties a chance to replicate the other so both can dodge the Pink Shirt with a crown on it......

darylive
21-03-2009, 01:27 PM
A TRIP WITH NO FISH = o

Hence the term Donut. Confusing for some?

Colo77
22-03-2009, 12:42 AM
I'm with you Pete. O fish (barra) in boat for duration of trip = donut.:)

snagking
22-03-2009, 09:26 PM
I've never caught a barra, so I'd say I have a donut.

NAGG
24-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi Pete

While I mentioned daily donuts on our trip , the reality is - Its a location donut (be it 1 day or 10) ..... if we did 3 dams - we would want a barra at each dam.

Unfortunately ...... MW & I are at each other with lots of banter .... & hence why the daily donut comes into play:argue: .

As for team effort ....... I tried to claim half of a couple of captures , specially when I was on a big goose egg ;D

I will say though ...... We try pretty hard to catch a fish each day.

Cheers

Chris

BR65
24-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Im mainly by myself Pete, so I halve the chances of a fish, and double my chances of a donut!

A donut trip for me is one where NO barra find the net, jump offs and dropped fish dont count, and the donut is no fish for the the duration of the trip, so far touch wood Ive only eaten a 3 (one at M, two at A), and they wernt very pleaseant, its a long way to drive home mulling over the whys and what fors of missed chances.

Revised tally, now4!

F#$@*%in donuts

NAGG
25-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Donuts are bad enough ...... but what about those day/trips where you dont even get a touch :( they screw with your mind:wreck:

Chris

Whitto
25-03-2009, 09:49 AM
My form of late Chris has surpassed the Donut stage and has moved towards the BAGEL:-[

NAGG
25-03-2009, 10:20 AM
My form of late Chris has surpassed the Donut stage and has moved towards the BAGEL:-[

;D ;D ;D Bagel - Love it

You'll be right

Cheers

Chris

Obi _ Wan
25-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Donuts are bad enough ...... but what about those day/trips where you dont even get a touch :( they screw with your mind:wreck:

Chris

Chris,

If you want something to screw your mind just go to Faust :'(

Although i've heard its fishing quite well at the moment :-/

Cheers,
John.

NAGG
25-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Chris,

If you want something to screw your mind just go to Faust :'(

Although i've heard its fishing quite well at the moment :-/

Cheers,