PDA

View Full Version : can you have to much power???

bearessentials
19-03-2009, 09:31 AM
hey guys i have just bought a new electric for my tinnie, and need some convincing that i have done the right thing...
my boat is a stessco catcher 420, soon to have side decks and front and rear cast decks.. i have just bought a 75 pound thrust wireless control motorguide electric fot it, my reason for going 75 pound is because i wanted a 24v unit, but now i am worried that my boat will plane when i turn the bloody thing on.... i know that it has variable speed control, but i also worry that i will do some damage to the motor by running it so slow all the time...
well rant over, have you guys got any thoughts??? i havent picked the electric up yet so its not really to late to swap it for the 55 pound thruster....

Noelm
19-03-2009, 09:53 AM
an electric can run at any speed without undue drama

Apollo
19-03-2009, 10:08 AM
I was advised that a 30 or 45 would be right for my boat. Bought a 54 and have never regreted it. Sometimes the extra bang is really useful, but mine is used most of the time at 20-40% throttle.

catfishkid
19-03-2009, 12:58 PM
I had a bowmount minn kota on a 4.2 catcher rv,and sometimes it would take off a bit quick sideways if I wasnt carefull which direction the electric was pointed when I hit the go button with the power set on full.
I dont think you have put to much power on there just be aware if you hit the go button with the power set on full she will take off pretty quick

Cheers Craig

GBC
19-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Don't mistake thrust for speed - they aren't the same.

I run a 55lb saltwater on a 15ft roscoe canoe - I think you'll survive.

matt fraser
19-03-2009, 01:46 PM
You'll be right! I ran an 82lb Motorguide on my 14ft Stessl Edgetracker for the last three or four years. Went well! Handy having the extra power when working around pontoons/boats, or if you want to move quickly in current to desnag.

The weight of the extra batteriy may be the only downside in a small boat.

Cheers,

Matt

bearessentials
19-03-2009, 03:10 PM
cheers guys, feeling a bit better about my purchase now.. just gotta wait til she comes in....