PDA

View Full Version : New Tinny too shiney

halfawoody
18-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi guys can anyone tell me the best way to take the new shine off a tinny other than just time .It realy cooks you the first couple off trips , one guy said to spray vinegar on then wash it off Any ideas most welcome .

Roughasguts
18-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Get a couple of spray cans of your fav colour and spray lightly around, should take the shine off.

FNQCairns
18-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Winter is coming soon, was going to say something about harden up but I know what it's like. Shine values your boat for longer, anything you do short of a covering works by promoting corrosion.

cheers fnq

3rd degree
18-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Just use it and don't wash it much after use.

The water restrictions we had in Brisbane for a while meant I couldn't wash mine properly and as a result it lost its shine.

Cheers

Jim

For Steve
18-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I had the same problem. A carpeted plywood floor worked for me.

oldboot
18-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Vinegar will hardly touch alloy.....of you want some sort of matting agent you need to look to an alkaline...... but whatever you will want to wash it off very well.......remember the same dull stuff is the first phase of corrosion.

A light spray with some thing caustic will take the shine off very fast.

but getting on your skin or eyes will be anothe problem.

Have you thatught about giving it a rub with a scotch brite......more effort bit is probaly safer.

Are you sure you would not prefeer the interior to be a nice shade of blue;D .

Seriously

cheers

ozbee
21-03-2009, 08:49 AM
gee i wish i had that problem , mate if you clean my boat that good you can be my deckie for nothing

Poodroo
21-03-2009, 08:59 AM
That shine doesn't last too long at all really. My hull is painted all except for the bottom. It had a real shine to it initially but dulled after only a few trips. If you are finding it too hot in the meantime just get some off cut marine carpet to stick under your feet or make a deck perhaps.

Poodroo

Good_as_Gold
21-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Septone make a product for cleaning ally follow the directions it will take the mirror shine off and make it look clean but flat look try it on a small part to see if you like it or even on yourr ute if you have one its a good finish.

wirlybird
21-03-2009, 05:23 PM
sunchem rust remover will take the shine off straight away and leave you with a Matt finish

tunaticer
21-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Park it under a mango tree for a week and it will definitely no longer look like new.

jarrod
21-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Try spray on mag wheel cleaner. Mate of mine put his work ute in to be detailed & they used it on his polished alloy wheels. Took the shine right off them,not happy!

spelchek
21-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Just lend it to your brother-in-law for the weekend.

TheRealAndy
21-03-2009, 10:16 PM
mild caustic soda. I used to use it on aluminium to create oxide layer. Gives a top finish but make sure you waash it all off