PDA

View Full Version : Barwon banks 17/03

backlash08
18-03-2009, 07:41 AM
With a possable storm forecast and with just the 1 boat decided to skip the hards and head for the banks for an overnighter, left mooloolaba ramp yesterday around 11am and headed for mid banks. The conditions were really nice and a cruise had us on the spot in 55 minutes. Drift conditions were excellent with very little current and winds around 7 knots. The millions of juvinile red throat still around so moved many times to escape them. We did manage a few reasonable ones mixed in with all the babies. At around 4.30 we anchored up and started berleying hard, looking for any early snapper, not a touch on the floatliners all trip. The bottom produced mixed bag of reasonable reefies including a few blue spot trout, 3 reds, a few good parrot and a few AJ's. With no sanpper around I decided to head home at 830pm as I didnt think the morning bite would be too hot, great run home with the easterly breeze behind.
no pics, nothing worth it really
cheers - Craig

Dean1
18-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Hey Craig the place just isnt ripe for picking yet is it mate. 3 reds?? :o How big?? I havent been out that way this year yet, things should improve in a month or so I say. Better than sitting on the lounge ;)

backlash08
18-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi Deano, agree mate, proabaly a month early, looking toward some good weather to get into 1770 and/or DI soon,
yep, the 3 reds were interesting, 2 were just over 55 and 1 just under, they all went back though to grow some more.
I wasnt targeting them, just got them iodine bream flesh (legal ones!)

cheers

-spiro-
18-03-2009, 06:27 PM
sounds like its still slow mate....where you near any of the marks we have caught up on?

skipalong
18-03-2009, 07:04 PM
nice craig, looks like im not missing much at the moment, how was the water temp? at the moment everywhere is slow at the moment from what i heard,its always the way good weather no fish, terrible conditions fish fire and cant hold bottom for the current.

justin

backlash08
18-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Spiro, covered a fair bit of ground within 5 klms of that spot and did anchor up in that area for the early night bite, some good shows but not as much chew as I would have hoped.

Hi Justin, yep, was slow, I didnt even take a look at water temp to be honest, would have been around 23 or so I would think

hope to get to 1770 or DI sooner rather than later then spend some of the winter here chasing the snapps

cheers guys

Jettson
18-03-2009, 08:07 PM
hey craig,
i spotted your boat yesterday i was in a mates 7.0 cat.was a bit quite for us too.
its pretty thick with undersize red throats at the moment.
cheers pt

backlash08
18-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi PT, nice cat you guys had, great day out there wasnt it! if the red throat were 3-4kgs it would have been even better

cheers - Craig

Dean1
19-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Hi Deano, agree mate, proabaly a month early, looking toward some good weather to get into 1770 and/or DI soon,
yep, the 3 reds were interesting, 2 were just over 55 and 1 just under, they all went back though to grow some more.
I wasnt targeting them, just got them iodine bream flesh (legal ones!)

cheers Nice mate, its not an every day occurance to catch legal reds out there, Id have to say I woulda thrown the 2 legal fellas in the box before they run off to their home possibly further north!! ;D

mr_stinker
16-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Under The Reds Was There Wire Weed And Before The Reds Did U Catch

mr_stinker
16-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Im Sorry Was Wire Weed Under The Reds

hookinin
17-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Good to see some legal reds coming from the banks and hope the red throat grow up and stick around for a few years. Went to the hards on wednesday in a mates boat in glassy conditions.
Cheers Gaven

backlash08
17-04-2009, 01:09 PM
reds wernt on wire weed, they were on rocky bottom