PDA

View Full Version : NPD Bait Fishing Report

Cammy
17-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Well i went bait fishing for a bit of time out, i arrived and was suprised how much the dam has filled up, last time i was at the dam i could walk accross some parts, now its probably twice the height as me.

Anyway i was using peeled prawns and worms under a float, caught lots of gar which was entertaining. I landed 9 gar biggest went 28cm.

I also found about 15 large dead turtles in the water, it seems as though someone has caught them and just killed them, they were fly blown so they have been there for a couple of days.:(
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu222/Cam-Clarke/P3170092.jpg
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu222/Cam-Clarke/P3170094.jpg
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu222/Cam-Clarke/P3170093.jpg

I didnt take any pics of the gar as i was just catching, unhooking and release.

Any one know how good gar taste? i heard they have alot of tiny bones and it is hard to get meat from them because of that reason.

Cam

Cammy
17-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Ok im stupid i put it in the wrong section, sry mods. Can you please put it in the reports section.

cam

Luc
17-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi Cammy,

Garfish - usually, the bones are so fine that they're not a problem.
Some recommend using a bottle filled with icy cold water and rolling it up and down the fillets. This supposedly breaks all the bones.

Turtles - anything to indicate that they were killed deliberately? If that's the case, those responsible should get a good working over.

Luc

Cammy
18-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Good to know Luc, next time i catch some i might try em on the table.

Nah there wasnt any evidence of how they were killed, mainly because they were all decomposing, but i thought it was a bit odd 15 large turtles all died and floated to the same spot. Somthing musthave happened and it is very cruel....

Cam

Little grey men
18-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Thats a lot of dead turtles. Sure would suck if some rubberhead just killed them for kicks.
I entertained myself with the gar for a while as well on Sunday. Little pieces of Guzzler prong on a tiny hook and they were going nuts.
The bass weren't playing so I had to do something !!!

Luc
18-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Gar are always good fun when nothing else is on the chew.

Luc

Bearclaw
18-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Cammy did you report the location to SEQ Water, they would be interested and should warrant futher investigation. Sounds/looks like a posioning to me, but it also could be someone burlying up with grain and the wrong target got the food, could have the same impact to turtles as to pigeons, expands in the stomach killing them if they eat too much.

Cammy
18-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Thats interesting Bearclaw, i'll see if i can get the number off their site and give em a call. Although what can they do? what would they do?, cut em up see what the cause was?

Cam

black_sheep
19-03-2009, 03:25 PM
You can try reporting it to the Fish Watch Hotline on: 1800017116

dinodadog
19-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Was speaking to one of the rangers today about the turtles, it appears that some idiot was using the opera house traps with the wide opening at each end instead of the legal ones with the solid rings. Turtles were getting in and could not find there way out, so each trap had several dead turtles in it. What a goose.

Cammy
19-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Well thats just great, tossers.

Cam