PDA

View Full Version : What am I looking for?

trueblue
17-03-2009, 12:29 AM
My list of 'wants' has been growing. What boat am I searching for?

I have no pre conceptions about construction type

~ 7 Metre (23ish foot)
Twin Motors
One motor hopefully able to plane the boat home if the other one breaks down
4 strokes
Hard top
Lock up cabin
Windscreen wipers
Good cabin ventilation
Good visibility out through cabin
Decent bunks
Walk around capability (can be minimal so long as don't have to climb through hatch)
Electric winch
Suspension seats
Upright flotation
2 Kill tanks
Inbuilt ice box (seat) minimum of 1400mm long
Inbuilt tackle storage
Self draining decks
2 live bait tanks
Min 300 litres fuel
Inbuilt fresh water tank (60 - 100 litres)
Proper marine head (toilet)
Hi Flow deckwash
Outriggers setup for trolling
Very stable at rest
Decent ride in chop at reasonable speed
Decent sized cabin
Decent sized cockpit fishing platform
Trailerable
Long Lasting quality – would be ‘the boat’ for 15 years

Types of use
Bottom bashing the reef out wide 30%
All day trolling 30%
Family days (bbq / beach picnics etc) 30%
Crabbing bay and wide 10%

Does she exist in a 7 metre boat???

Cheers

Mick

TimiBoy
17-03-2009, 05:43 AM
My Cruisecraft 685 does damn near all that, except the hard top and the windscreen wipers, if you spec up from new.

I'd say some of the American boats would work, too, though they need a permit to tow as they are too beamy for our roads. Proline, Seapro, Grady White, are some of them.

My personal opinion on 2 motors is that with reliability of modern engines, the only reason you'll lose one is fuel, and then both are stuffed anyway. Twins will cost you in maintenance, capital, and performance, and give no real benefit. Also don't lock in to 4 strokes, the HPDI 2's are good too, just get the best mix for the boat you end up with. I do like my 4 stroke Verado though;D;D;D.

I may have confused the issue, but you asked! It is a fun problem to have.

Cheers,

Tim

GBC
17-03-2009, 05:50 AM
There's an AMM 7.4 tournament over at John Crawford Marine at the moment that will jump through most of those hoops.
Whoever had her commissioned knew just what he wanted.
Nice rig.
Twin 4 stroke 115 yammies too.

I doubt the seats are suspension, but to offset that, the driver's seat base is a snapper fridge.

backlash08
17-03-2009, 05:50 AM
yep, you'd do all that in a made to order platey with a bit of planning, interesting point on the twin engines, I went through the same thinking but went big single

enjoy the planning, its half the fun!

cheers - Craig

maztez
17-03-2009, 06:46 AM
That sounds just like the new Viper plate being built by Phil at Viper boats .His imput along with Brejens ideas and wants is seing a very functional offshore rig of some 7 mts being bought to life .Can't wait to see' Dorothy 'completed .

megafish71
17-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Plenty of options out there. Heres a few ideas,if the black boat had a set of twins on the back, it would be very close to what you are wanting.

Cheers Ron

backlash08
17-03-2009, 07:47 AM
very nice megafish!

Noelm
17-03-2009, 07:56 AM
I reckon with the sort of money you are looking at there must be a hundred Boats that will fit the bill, just on the twin engine thing, I have had twins for years and years, but to get twins that will plane on one Motor is not as easy as it seems, simply because they are propped to act as one big Motor (sort of) as in, way over propped if you had just one single 115 instead of two 115's, get the idea?, when/if one craps out, the other has too large a prop to be able to operate at full RPM and get you on the plane, some will if you can get a bit of a "run up" with a swell or something, I know it sounds a bit complicated but it is just the way it works.

trueblue
17-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Plenty of options out there. Heres a few ideas,if the black boat had a set of twins on the back, it would be very close to what you are wanting.

Cheers Ron

Hey Ron

what boats are those in your pictures?

Cheers

Mick

Pazz01
17-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Hey ron

Is that a fishing boat or a luxury yacht?

Pazz

trueblue
17-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I reckon with the sort of money you are looking at there must be a hundred Boats that will fit the bill, just on the twin engine thing, I have had twins for years and years, but to get twins that will plane on one Motor is not as easy as it seems, simply because they are propped to act as one big Motor (sort of) as in, way over propped if you had just one single 115 instead of two 115's, get the idea?, when/if one craps out, the other has too large a prop to be able to operate at full RPM and get you on the plane, some will if you can get a bit of a "run up" with a swell or something, I know it sounds a bit complicated but it is just the way it works.

maybe carry a spare prop (lower pitch) that that can be changed over if there is the need for a long run home on one engine?

It does raise the question... I have always wanted 2 engines, but

is a second engine really needed any more with the new technology?

cheers

Mick

JB
17-03-2009, 01:43 PM
how about a Haines Patriot...

Dean1
17-03-2009, 02:26 PM
How about a 2400 Kevlacat you dont need suspension seats in em coz their so soft riding ;) You can get a toilet fitted if wanted too. Nearly everything you listed there. Cheers.

GBC
17-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah mate, magic carpet ride those cats eh.:-X

sid_fishes
17-03-2009, 03:03 PM
mick, they look like sea prowlers, built at yatla.[ but i been known to be wrong]
cheers
ian

megafish71
17-03-2009, 04:50 PM
mick, they look like sea prowlers, built at yatla.[ but i been known to be wrong]
cheers
ian

Your Correct Ian, all of those boats are Seaprowlers and are built down Yatla way.

Mick, I will email you all of their details and other pics in the morning, had to rush home early today and all those pics are on my work computer.

Ron

trueblue
17-03-2009, 05:34 PM
the website seems to indicate that Seaprowler might only build the one model of 7200 boat?

megafish71
17-03-2009, 05:40 PM
the website seems to indicate that Seaprowler might only build the one model of 7200 boat?

The website is poor, but I have been told it is being upgraded to a more professional website in the very near future. They build from 5mtr to 12+ mtrs. At the moment they are building a 12mtr cat. The black boat in the pics is a 7.6mtr and the others are all 7.2mtr boats.

Ron

finding_time
17-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Trueblue

I totally agree with Dean ( never done that before;) ;D ) 2400 kc all of your above list and more!!

Ian

trueblue
18-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Trueblue

I totally agree with Dean ( never done that before;) ;D ) 2400 kc all of your above list and more!!

Ian

I did some reading on the 2400 KC......... wow. that is a whole lot of boat

trueblue
22-03-2009, 08:55 PM
generic loose question... looking for generic loose answers....

If there are 2 boats generally fitted out the same, and one is a cat and the other is a monohull (2 engines on both)....

Is the Cat or the Mono generally going to more expensive?

I was guessing it would typically the Cat that is more expensive, but is this the case or is it totally dependant on the manufacturer?

cheers

Mick

MyWay
22-03-2009, 09:36 PM
mick
I was at 4X4 and fishing expo yestrday, and saw damn good boat with almost all u looking for on the list
it was 600 offshore marine master jay cat
for price they are asking would be a steal ,i dont think it will last to the end of the show .

24 KC is nice and good but wait to till you step on 3000 then you will want one

Horto22
22-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Id definately talk to AMM. Very nice boats. My brothers and I narrowed down our choice between Fisher Boats & AMM when looking to get a 7-8m bota custum built for game fishing at Bermagui & Portland. We ended up going for the Fisher but it was a very close call. As it turns out extremely close as ours was the Last Fisher delivered before the Christmas breakdown. AMM boat were the best finished Alloy boats Ive seen, and theier 7.4m with curved windscreen is a looking well built boat. We put a single 300 Suzki on our 8.0m Fisher as reliability of new motors really makes expense and complication of twins unneccarsary in my opinion. If you end up with twins Id run seperate batteys & fuel tanks to each motor as these are the main cause of problems and unless isolated they can take out 2 motors as easy as one.

Cheers Horto

PS:- Love our Fisher.

MyWay
23-03-2009, 12:43 AM
ops almost forgot this guns

mick you will need grander to sink this one out on riff ;D
and i think it is got all
and u can order one with locking cabin too

one engine or two what ever you want

http://www.stabicraft.com/ShowImage.ashx?url=%2fDocuments%2fImages%2f759SCSP ORT%2f759SCSPORT-03.jpg&width=250

http://www.stabicraft.com/Product.aspx?id=759SCSPORT

myway

Lovey80
23-03-2009, 01:26 AM
Yep I recon dean is close but it doesn't fill (Everything) on that list. I climbed over a new one at springwood marine a few weeks back and nearly wet myself. It had a toilet standard. The 2400 weekender has a much better passenger seat set up with the fridge and stove.

However if you couldnt get the job done with one of them (i really want a full screen hard top with wipers too) have a look at the coastal cats they can be fully customised and probably cheaper.

Cheers

Chris

backlash08
26-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Id definately talk to AMM. Very nice boats. My brothers and I narrowed down our choice between Fisher Boats & AMM when looking to get a 7-8m bota custum built for game fishing at Bermagui & Portland. We ended up going for the Fisher but it was a very close call. As it turns out extremely close as ours was the Last Fisher delivered before the Christmas breakdown. AMM boat were the best finished Alloy boats Ive seen, and theier 7.4m with curved windscreen is a looking well built boat. We put a single 300 Suzki on our 8.0m Fisher as reliability of new motors really makes expense and complication of twins unneccarsary in my opinion. If you end up with twins Id run seperate batteys & fuel tanks to each motor as these are the main cause of problems and unless isolated they can take out 2 motors as easy as one.

Cheers Horto

PS:- Love our Fisher.

Horto, I had a quick look at your boat prior to delivery, very nice I must say, you'd be happy with that!!

cheers - Craig