PDA

View Full Version : Jumpinpin Bar

Darren Mc
16-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Could anyone give me some advice on navigating through jumpinpin bar. Have looked at satalite pictures from google earth(don't Know how recent they are but they give some sort of an idea what it looks like from above). I normally go out through south passage bar but because of recent events up there i thought i would try the alternative. Pin Bar is also closer to where i launch from at Weinam Creek ramp. Some local knowledge would be a great help?

sharkcat one
16-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi Darren,

Love the pin bar , crossed it alot, I like the challange. But some days you need some balls.
If it is half to full tide and arround 1 metre swell you can usually go straight out just slightly south east. But if the swell is up or the tide is low go south between southstraddie and the sand bar and pick a chanel between the waves once you clear the sand bar. this can be quite rough as you are side on to the waves, know your boat and what it can do before you cross, If you are unsure go to the bar early on the weekends and wait to follow someone else out , flag your route on GPS a few times as you go through , this makes comming back much easier.

Not going out through the pin this weekend but may-be saturday week .

cheers
good luck

Darren Mc
16-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks Sharkcat One, That sounds like great advice mate just what i was looking for, thanks again. That's pretty much what i thought from looking at the pictures, but hearing it from someone that actually goes out helps with the confidence a lot. Can't wait to go, a change is as good as a holiday. Cheers Mate.