PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Decision

cat_88
16-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi All

I need to upgrade my 25hp blue stripe Mercury outboard. Its on a 4m runabout. I am think about keeping it to 25hp, but am wondering what brands are better, 2 stroke or 4 and the average cost of a new out board.

Cheers

Cat_88

Kleyny
16-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Personally i think a 25 is too small for a 4m runabout.

As for what brand well its up to the individual, as is 2 V 4st.

What type of fishing do you do? If you do more trolling go 4 if your just going from point a to b go 2st.

neil

White Pointer
16-03-2009, 08:20 PM
G'day,

How many hours per month do you use it? Do you mind the smell of half burned 2-stroke?

White Pointer

Coontakinta
17-03-2009, 06:56 AM
This should turn into a real hum dinger, no doubt!

Almost was in a similar boat, pardon the pun!

Was looking to replace the trusty old 13 year old Johno for a new motor to power my 3.8m stacer. Now having a DI 2stroke on the back of my other boat and enjoying the smoothness, quietness, fuel frugal, and clean running of it compared to the Johno I was keen to investgate the posibilities. In my case however the weight of both the new portable DI's and 4 strokes make it impossible for me to go down that path. So stated to investigate another tohatsu albeit a carby job.

I would agree with earlier comments about a 25 being on the small side for a 4m boat, but then perhaps it really depends on where you fish and what loads you carry when out doing it. I used to think that spending the extra dollars on a DI or 4 stroke in the class we are speaking of here was false ecconomy and it may still be if one is only looking at the fuel savings. I mean how little fuel does a 25hp donk use anyway? So in my mind you would have to use the boat a hell of a lot to see any benefit in that regard. However if like me you were also keen on fume free, quiet and smooth operation, then investigating the joys of the later is a good way to go perhaps.

Not knowing much about the new portable etec's and this is the only DI in that class I know of, if slow trolling is your game then a 4 stroke would be my first choice as it allows for much smoother and quieter operation under those conditions. There is however a member on this site who, I believe, has one of the new portable DI's mentioned above. Perhaps a search for that thread and an IM to its poster would give some incite into whether these are right for you.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=140187

As I alluded to earlier in my post, I was looking at a new 25/30 Tohatsu for my boat not all that long ago. With a rectifier (charging system) I was quoted $2950.00 for a new 2008 30hp. Pretty good buying I thought but alas too rich for me under my current circumstances so am staying with the johno.

Best of luck with which ever way you go, but be sure to look hard at ALL the possibilities and how / what effect they will have on YOUR enjoyment of the use of your vessel.

cat_88
18-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks Guys

I will only be doing river fishing with my boat, and maybe on the very rare availability of smooth enough weather I will be heading out off shore a little. I haven't bothered doing any trolling as I am just starting out with the boat. What size do you think I should upgrade to, it will basically be probably 3 people in the boat at one time. I will only be a weekend warrior, I work in the mines so I will be using it a couple of times a month, as I said I will mainly be crabbing and river fishing.

Thanks again for the replies

Cheers

Catherine

White Pointer
19-03-2009, 12:02 AM
G'day,

For your infrequent use a good 2-stroke might be the go. I suggest a look at the Mercury Optimax as a pretty clean and fuel efficient engine and cheaper thn a 4-stoke.

Buy a copy of the latest F&B magazine. It publishes RRP on engines and is a good starting point for comparing quotes.

White Pointer

Bear001
19-03-2009, 07:41 AM
As said above, if you are not spending a lot of time trolling, stick with the 2-stroke. The weight and $$ attached to the 4-stroke wont be justified.

I think the rest is a Holden v's Ford debate. I would however be looking at upgrading to at least a 30hp for that size boat, especially as you are in tidal waters.

My 2-bob worths. Good luck.

STUIE63
19-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I would be buying a 30hp preferably with three cylinders not two as for brand get what the nearest GOOD dealer sells just go carby two stroke
Stuie

Kleyny
19-03-2009, 06:15 PM
At least a 30 and if the weight and price difference isn't that much go a 40.

A man can never have enough horse power.

neil

Scott Ashe
20-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi,

I have a 2007 410 Allycraft Rhino, which is powered by a 25 Yamaha 4 stroke engine, which I have had since brand new. 95 % of the time their is only two people on board, and although I very rarely run at full throttle, one day recently I did and my friends hand held GPS clocked us at 42km/h.

So if you were only river fishing, how quick do you need to go. It's your call , but I personally don't feel any more speed is required.

I know you will be staying with a two stroke, but I opted for the 4 stroke as it came standard with electric start and power trim and tilt. This was essential for me as I Suffer from cerebral palsy , and I need these extra features to be able to enjoy my boating comfortably.

Just my opinion.
Cheers
Scott