PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Steering??

Krashtackle
15-03-2009, 10:30 PM
We have a 115 HP 4 stroke. The boat is almost 5.5 m half cab tinny. The steering is pretty heavy.

Is it worth the money to get hydraulic steering?
What are the advantages (apart from being easier to steer...)?

Any info would be great.

Spaniard_King
16-03-2009, 07:26 AM
The steering quality wont degrade as the system gets older

no feedback from engine that needs to be overcome

less maintenance required

Once you have hydraulic you will hate going back to a cable steered boat

You are on the border wih a 115 and cable, it will certainly make the boat more pleasurable to drive

TimiBoy
16-03-2009, 07:35 AM
I love it. It's like power steering in the car. As if you wouldn't!

Cheers,

Tim

FNQCairns
16-03-2009, 08:59 AM
It's worlds apart although the modern cable systems are pretty flash now too, they have closed the gap a long way + less turns lock to lock than the common cheaper hydraulic setups.

cheers fnq

Ally Jack
16-03-2009, 09:10 AM
I agree with Timi and Spaniard, they are really good. 1 finger to turn the motor from lock to lock.
They are an added cost but I believe the benifit's outway the cost easily.

Ally Jack

Stuart
16-03-2009, 09:20 AM
I noticed years ago when going from the old cable system to hydraulic steering that the boat seemed more stable underway and tracked better, more so on cats.

Stu

PADDLES
16-03-2009, 12:31 PM
can you afford the $1000 it will cost trace? if the answer is yes, then get it for sure, you'll wonder how you ever survived without hydraulic steering once you try it for the first time.

John Buoy
16-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Has anyone used the single ram seastar set up for cats?

Regards Frank

Noelm
16-03-2009, 02:37 PM
the problem with single rams on cats is unless you have the hydraulic "tie bar" then you are restricted on some Boats by not being abe to use a standard rigid tie bar, also remember you need to get a unit suitable for the combined power of both Motors (of course)

John Buoy
16-03-2009, 03:00 PM
the problem with single rams on cats is unless you have the hydraulic "tie bar" then you are restricted on some Boats by not being abe to use a standard rigid tie bar, also remember you need to get a unit suitable for the combined power of both Motors (of course)

Gday Noel the unit I'm talking about is a central ram and tie bar either side.
http://www.cassellmarine.com.au/p/725687/seastar-tandem-catamaran-outboard-hydraulic-steering.html

Regards Frank

STUIE63
16-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Trace didn't you just get a stacer last week ?
when you say the steering is hard is it hard both ways evenly ?
Stuie

wags on the water
16-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Trace if the motor is trimmed down fully it will be a little bit heavier. Have you tried trimming it up?

ozscott
16-03-2009, 07:33 PM
I went though this about a year ago on the Vagabond - 115 YAM v4 - decades old cable and helm was heavy as hell. Went with teleflex no feedback with no clutch and new cable. Very light steering, nice feel, no feedback at all...you can yank all you like on the motor and it will not disturb the wheel. Steer to a course, take you hands off the wheel and it does not move at all because the clutch engages. All up it was under $500 from memory (and I treated the old girl to a new flash wheel which was a good move - no flex and nice feel)....and really only way to go for hydraulic if you are serious with the 115 is more than twice that. I like hydraulic, but I also really like my system. I also paid $2 or so for a new felt lined sealing gromet for the shaft (end of the tilt tube) and you stick auto trans fluid on it and a smear of auto trans fluid on the shaft....no grease at all!!! It has not stiffened at all so I should get good service out of it...the cables used to sieze up mainly because people would grease them. Further the new Teleflex helms are way ahead of the old ones for feel and ease of use.

Cheers

Krashtackle
17-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Trace didn't you just get a stacer last week ?
when you say the steering is hard is it hard both ways evenly ?
Stuie

Yes did get a new Stacer, yes steering is hard both ways evenly...?

Krashtackle
17-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Trace if the motor is trimmed down fully it will be a little bit heavier. Have you tried trimming it up?

Hubby says yes tried that too...still pretty heavy.

STUIE63
17-03-2009, 02:03 PM
I was thinking the little anode might have needed adjustment but if it is even both ways then I will leave this for those more experienced than me . I have teleflex cable and it is not tight . yes I think hydraulic would be better but for the money it is not worth it . if you don't get any answers here then quiz the dealer when you get the first service done
Stuie

cormorant
17-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Gday Noel the unit I'm talking about is a central ram and tie bar either side.
http://www.cassellmarine.com.au/p/725687/seastar-tandem-catamaran-outboard-hydraulic-steering.html

Regards Frank

Ok if you could mount it and it didn't impede transom access ot the amount you could tilt motors fully. Without counter rotators it could put significant force on the components all the time as well.

Have seen various tie bar ideas over the years on cats and most fal the tilt up criteria or individual tilt up or even keeping the motors alighned when they are not in the exact same trim position.

It will depend on exactly what boat it is getting ftted to but with every extra connection there are different loads and chance for movement as opposed to bullhorn direct hydraulic. I do like balanced cylinders from a technical point of view but in day to day usage your brain works it out pretty fast anyway.

John Buoy
17-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Just enquired about the Hydrive central mount set up and although the system works fine it does need custom ends made to length to suit.
I think i will go for the Bull Horn type fitment as i have been informed that a sigle ram utising the tie rod i currently have fitted should be ample for the twin honda 50's.

Regards Frank

tropicrows
17-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Hydraulic is the only way to go, they are excellent. One finger to turn the motor from lock to lock, you can walk around the boat a bit and know it's not going to start doing donuts on you.
Forget the cost if you intend to keep the boat for a few years. I installed a Hydrive unit worth every cent.:)

boatie_72
17-03-2009, 04:56 PM
It may be in the way the cable has been routed, i.e. too many sharp bends causing the cable to be tight. Is it a non feed back system fitted to the boat at the moment? I agree with one of the other post I would check the trim tab on the motor, little adjustments might make the world of difference, it would be worth looking at that first before going out and spending the big bucks. I’ve had Teleflex NFB steering in my boat with a 115 4 stroke Yamaha and no problems was easy to steer, was properly the best cable steering I have owned. But I must say hydraulic is nice too.

cormorant
17-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Check you engine wells have enough room and that you will get trailering tilt