PDA

View Full Version : Looking for partner in small boat buiding business

TJ Bear
15-03-2009, 10:04 PM
I am looking for a partner interested in starting a small boat building business, to start off I invisage it to be part time (after work, weekends). First boat will be a modified version of the Haines Hunter 445F. I am qualified boat builder and composite technician with many years of experience within the boat building industry at both Haines Hunter and Riviera. Looking for someone based on the Gold Coast with access to shed/factory and approximatly 10k startup capital. If interested please PM

Regards
Todd

Noelm
16-03-2009, 08:25 AM
hope it all goes OK for you, but I reckon you are pretty dare devil starting up in these economic times, but who knows huh? part time with a build as you get an order type of thing may see you through all this, by the way, I drove past the Haines at Kiama yesterday, thought of pestering him again.

peterbo3
16-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Todd,
There is probably a need for a mobile FG repairman who can build small custom additions, make modifications & fix damage. Less capital needed. An ad on here would likely produce results. PM Steve for ad costs.

PinHead
16-03-2009, 02:40 PM
A couple of questions:
1. what % stake will the 10k give in the business ?
2. Will the person putting in the 10k be requried to work in the business ?
3. Is there some form of business plan ?
4. Is the mould for the boat completed and who will own that ?

stevej
16-03-2009, 06:34 PM
a 4.5m boat with good handling qualities economical to run and tow

wonders why no other company read the origional manufacturer never thought to remake it :)

oh well gearing up to make all those 5.5+meter boats is paying off now for them

TJ Bear
16-03-2009, 07:03 PM
If you want more info PM me and we can talk as the business plan is a little different to most boat building business models. I intend to market the boat more like a kit car or plane etc. The boat will be available in a number of build stages ie just the parts, Hull, Deck, Console and bait tanks, you put in the floor and fuel tank, join the hull and deck, etc etc. I will include a comprehensive build book just the same as you get with a good kit car. The boat will be availble in say 4 levels of completition from say 5-6k for all the parts on a ply build cradle all the way up to a fully completed and fitted out boat on a trailer. I am trying to offer the guy at home the oppertunity to buy a new boat fit it out hiself, maybe get a good condition secondhand motor, electronics secondhand in good condition and get it on the water for under 15k.

It is a heap easier to do this with new parts than it is to buy a old boat cut out the floor, cut out stringers and transom then do all the repair work and you basically still have a 20 year old boat that unless all the work is done very well may or may not be safe.

I have quite a detailed business plan that I can discuss in person with anybody seriously interested.

dogsbody
17-03-2009, 04:27 PM
If you want more info PM me and we can talk as the business plan is a little different to most boat building business models. I intend to market the boat more like a kit car or plane etc. The boat will be available in a number of build stages ie just the parts, Hull, Deck, Console and bait tanks, you put in the floor and fuel tank, join the hull and deck, etc etc. I will include a comprehensive build book just the same as you get with a good kit car. The boat will be availble in say 4 levels of completition from say 5-6k for all the parts on a ply build cradle all the way up to a fully completed and fitted out boat on a trailer. I am trying to offer the guy at home the oppertunity to buy a new boat fit it out hiself, maybe get a good condition secondhand motor, electronics secondhand in good condition and get it on the water for under 15k.

It is a heap easier to do this with new parts than it is to buy a old boat cut out the floor, cut out stringers and transom then do all the repair work and you basically still have a 20 year old boat that unless all the work is done very well may or may not be safe.

I have quite a detailed business plan that I can discuss in person with anybody seriously interested.

I think this is a great idea. Hope it all pans out well for you.

Dave

boatie_72
17-03-2009, 04:40 PM
whos going to supply the builders plate saying the boat is safe for use?

Is there going to be enough foam in the boat to achieve level?

pilchardjones
17-03-2009, 05:03 PM

this is a top idea TJ Bear. Good luck with it. I wish it existed when i was doing up my 445, as would a few mates i know who have done them also.
steve

trueblue
17-03-2009, 05:04 PM
I hate to have to say it, but if you need someone to put up 10k as a partner to get going, you are not in a position to sut up the business.

Save up the 10k, then set it up by yourself and eliminate the partner problems.

If you can't save the 10k, then the business is going to bite you on the arse with unexpected costs that you won't be able to cover.

Dantren
17-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Good on you mate.

Don't doubt your self - give it a real go!
I agree with TrueBlue. You are better off without partners in business if possible. A silent partner may be the exception.

10 grand doesn't go far these days.. Don't undercapitalise.

Dan.

jimbo59
17-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Hey tj Bear, im about to start building some boats too, have guns and sheds give me a ring some time..jim 0414368508.

catcrab
18-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Hi TJ. just a follow up to a post a month or so ago, you were chasing an 445, if you haven't got one yet, check out the blue boat at ashmore, its on ebay. its not a real pretty boat, could suit you for your project.

Drew.