PDA

View Full Version : Townsville Offshore

Robbo_Townsville
15-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Went outside last Tuesday, a couple of days after Hamish went past, in near perfect conditions. On arrival at spot X we trolled some lures for spaniards and were rewarded quick smart with a couple of nice ones. My brand new $35 Rapala was destroyed on the first hit.

Drifted that afternoon and evening with large fleh baits and picked up 33 fish in all. 7 Red Emperor and 14 Large Mouths as well as spangled and red throat emperor's.

Wednesday morning trip home was 3.5hrs of bone jarring.

skipalong
15-03-2009, 08:46 PM
top work mate the trip sounds like you were rewarded with some quality fish and good weather , at least to start the trip by the looks, but 3.5 hours of back jar not good.

cheers justin

Benno1
15-03-2009, 08:58 PM
shame about the lure...but on the upside you caught THAT!!!...top shelf macky Robbo...im guessing 18/20 kgs???...the flesh baits you were using...hussar???...spanish flag???...what sort of gear were you using???
got any pics of the red??? :D
cheers for the report and piccies :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Robbo_Townsville
15-03-2009, 09:35 PM
shame about the lure...but on the upside you caught THAT!!!...top shelf macky Robbo...im guessing 18/20 kgs???...the flesh baits you were using...hussar???...spanish flag???...what sort of gear were you using???
got any pics of the red??? :D
cheers for the report and piccies :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Flesh baits were Shark Mackerel which we were originally trolling for. We use large spinning reels for bottom bashing. Stella 20000 on a live fibre 7ft 15 - 24 kg rod and a Saltiga Expedition on a 400 T curve Jig Stick. 80lb braid and 100lb leader with 2 dropper rigs, 2 x ganged 8/0 VMC O'Shannesy.

No pics of the reds but the biggest fella would have been 10kg, when one of us is on the other is trying his hardest to get back down as quick as possible. We really do need to slow down and take some photos of the reds but it is hard to take the time when you might drift past the school.

ronnien
15-03-2009, 09:46 PM
robbo,
sounds like 1 very quick & rewarding trip.
that mack is huge mate, where abouts did you's fish?

ron.

Fisher4life
15-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Hey robbo

Sounds like a great trip... wish i didn't have to work during the week.

What area did you guys fish?

Cheers
Josh

Robbo_Townsville
16-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Fished out past the Slashers Reefs.

Nic
16-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Robbo I could barely read your report as I was hugely jealous... haven't been offshore in over a month AND I have never managed to catch a Spaniard that big. You must have had a great time on those reds too, they give a good account of themselves.

Well done to you guys, you've outdone yourselves!

jtpython
16-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Thats some awesome fishing guys... Wishing the weather will ease here soon
JT

snagking
16-03-2009, 07:27 PM
SOunds like a great day out! good work!

levinge
16-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Bit of bog and paint and the Rapala will be as good as new. Should contact Rapala, they might want it back for research, might even give you a new one. Seen it happen with some other brands for their R&D, worth a try, if you don't ask you don't get!!!

Nice fish and great trip, well done!!

Nanny King NQ
17-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Well donr robbo, nice catch, I'm with Brett send the lure back to Rapala see what they say never now could get a few freebies out of them.