PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Sunny Longtails

BLOOEY
15-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Left from mooloolaba this morning to see if there were any spaniards still around after the blow and the spill.No visible signs of any oil. Trolled dead tailor and live 30cm macktuna around for quite a while for zippo. But did find a fair few longtails willing to eat a slug. Ben

snagking
15-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Shame about the lack of Spanish macs, but good work on the longtails!

Pistol_P
15-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Nice ones Ben.8-)

Gonna try and nail one tomorra landbased.

Pete

skipalong
15-03-2009, 02:05 PM
i think with all thats happened over the last week or 2 thats it for the pelagics this season, water has dropped in temp bait will be scarce of oil, and just have to hope the snapper still come in

cheers justin

larfin
15-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Shame about the macks but still a couple of nice fish there thanks fo the report
cheers
greg

marty+jojo
15-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Hey Ben,
I'm heading out from Mooloolaba on Tuesday morning. I am a Longtail virgin, can you give me some tips? Such as line, leader, slug size and weights etc. Any tips or suggestions?
Thanks mate.
Marty.
P.S. - Nice fish ;D ;D .

RAT-KING
15-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Well done Ben
Some awesome fish there!
Cheers Simon

BLOOEY
15-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Ta guys. I expect you will tangle with one pete. Marty i have 3 rods setup 1 with a plastic on 15lb ,1 with a slug 15-30grm on 20lb and one with a skipping popper or stickbait on 30. If i can get close enough to throw an unweighted big plastic i'll do it every time. The slug comes in handy when they are really flighty and you need the extra distance and when they are feeding on tiny bait. And the skipping poppers and stickbaits are just a heap of fun watching the bow wave and the explosion of water or the big leap into the air. Hope you pop ya cherry mate. Ben

Pistol_P
15-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey Ben,
I'm heading out from Mooloolaba on Tuesday morning. I am a Longtail virgin, can you give me some tips? Such as line, leader, slug size and weights etc. Any tips or suggestions?
Thanks mate.
Marty.
P.S. - Nice fish ;D ;D .

Hey Ben....Im just a virgin....You got any tips...:P

Pete

Mac1952
16-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Well done mate. Pity about the macs.
Frustrating to waste good tailor baits on zilch. Let's hope Justin is wrong about the season being over (although he seems to be able to read their minds!)

frankgrimes
16-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Nice LT's Ben.

Mick

BLOOEY
16-03-2009, 04:51 PM
"I am a Longtail virgin" Marty you don't look like any longtail i've ever caught but being a virgin doesn't make you any less of one;D ;D :P .

On a serious note though, Both the longys seemed to have oil in the veins, tissue around the gills. I only noticed it when i was cleaning them so they aren't being eaten unfortunately. Being picked up for testing. Ben

JayT
17-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Its sounds all good Blooey up until the oil in the veins part etc....
Good work anyhow an shame about the spanish:( sure will be interested to hear an update on this testing tho....?
Cheers mate
Thorpy

BLOOEY
18-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Yeah me too Thorpy i was keen as to have a feed of fresh sashimi. Ben